Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What to do, 'bout Montague... (moving to PEI)
PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 3:54 pm 
Tourist

Okay, no more rhyming in my posts, I promise.

There is a job position my wife might apply for in PEI. We are seriously considering making some rather drastic lifestyle adjustments and leaving Halifax (no we're not running from the law or anything :) Just looking to get better hours, have more time for family and embrace some change!)

To be honest, the whole idea scares me half to death. I'm very enthusiastic about the change, and I think it would be a good location for us to go to, but it's a BIG change. No matter how much I plan and number crunch I know I can't anticipate everything. Also, because of certain factors, if we're going to move, it's probably all going to happen within the next three months.

I guess I'm looking for some words of wisdom about the area of Montague, and perhaps if other people have moved to the island like I'm considering, are there any cautions or encouragments you would offer?

Anything specific about Montague or other nice areas to live nearby would be appreciated. I have an 11 and 3 year old so school type info would be great.

Lastly, do you think it's hard to fit into communities in PEI when you haven't been born there? I know it's probably always difficult no matter where you go, but any suggestions about how "not" to be an ass and be a good "new" resident might be neat to read about too.

Okay, that turned out longer than I had planned. Feel free to mock me if this is too rambling and vague.

-Rodney

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 4:42 pm 
True Islander

Montague is not bad, it's one of the largest towns on the Island, Charlottetown is the biggest "city" of course but after that is Summerside, Stratford and Cornwall.

To me Montague is getting a little bit past the small town mentality but it is still there a bit. Place like Souris or Tignish are small towns and you would certainly stand out, but Montague is about twice as big as those tow towns.

The good news is there is a new school being built for the kids in Montague and surrounding areas. I don't know when it's supposed to be finished, it's not even started being built yet.

It's a big change you're going from one of the largest cities in the region to a small town in a small province. If you enjoy the quiet life you should be OK. If you're bored Charlottetown is only 30Km, a half hour drive, away.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 6:46 pm 
I love Montague.

I lived outside of Montague in Lower Montague. Quiet, walking distance to the beach and only a 7 minute drive into Montague.

I went through the school system in Montague and found it was great. My son went through the French Immersion program and when we moved to Charlottetown I was told to be concerned that he would be behind the program from when we moved to the country to the city ...turns out there was no need for concern at all. The Montague school system is great. Lots of school activities. Several afterschool sports and drama programs. The teachers are great and easy to approach and talk to for both the students and parents.

The Eastern Eagles Soccer program is huge in Montague. A beautiful facility with lots of teams.

The Montague Norsemen hockey and ringette. There are also other community hockey teams you can join if you are willing to drive to their rinks. Montague is expecting a new hockey rink to be built soon.

There are a lot of child care sports, mainly home based and asking around on these is important, but child care/babysitting should never be a concern there.

There is your basic shopping. Both Sobey's and Atlantic Superstore, but clothing shopping is limited to a jeans shop and a couple of second hand stores. Charlottetown isn't too far away to go for what you need.

A few really good seasonal restaurants and then your usual Pizza places for winter dinners out.

An older type community with many seniors but several long term established families with kids in the school system. You will find your kids activities may be where you make more friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 9:52 pm 
Almost an Islander

dhughes wrote:
If you enjoy the quiet life you should be OK. If you're bored Charlottetown is only 30Km, a half hour drive, away.

Actually Charlottetown is 50 KM away from Montague.

But the Montague area is a wonderful mix of rural area yet being close to grocery stores, schools, restaurants (2 seasonal, 8 year round), gas stations (3), vehicle repairs, fitness centre (2), and both federal and provincial government services. Most shopping can be done in Montague suchs has hardware, furniture, and most other except for clothing.

Anything that is not available is easily assessible in Charlottetown which is only 30 minutes away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 11:18 pm 
Tourist

Just wanted to say thanks for the comments so far. VERY helpful. Checking regularily.

I like the sound of being close to commercial areas. I can live without all the frills - nice to know the necessities are close by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 11:26 pm 

My family and I just moved to PEI from Alberta. No family, friends or anything, but likely for many of the same reasons you have we wanted to move so we just did it. Absolutely no regrets. We explored Montague a bit when we were house hunting and liked it a lot, at least on face value it had a lot of appeal.

Halifax is a short distance away, go visit for the weekend :)

Cul

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 12:05 am 
True Islander

So why would someone "stand out" in souris??? seems to me that there has been lots of people from around the world spend time working and living in Souris. Hmm don't think i can recall of too much adverse reaction to those people. Yes it is a small town and you get small town metality.. so is it a bad thing that your neighbour would help you out in a time of need, from big stuff to even something simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 4:02 am 
TTBoy wrote:
.. so is it a bad thing that your neighbour would help you out in a time of need, from big stuff to even something simple.

Where I come from .. that is called nosey .. LOL ... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 8:34 am 

See now, my biggest suggestion would to not take some "attitudes" the wrong way, such as shyness for snobbiness and helpfulness for nosiness, no matter where you move to. (I know you were joking SC). Yeah there will be a few that might say or do (or not do) the right thing but most will be there to welcome you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 9:37 am 
True Islander

IslandChick wrote:
dhughes wrote:
If you enjoy the quiet life you should be OK. If you're bored Charlottetown is only 30Km, a half hour drive, away.

Actually Charlottetown is 50 KM away from Montague.

But the Montague area is a wonderful mix of rural area yet being close to grocery stores, schools, restaurants (2 seasonal, 8 year round), gas stations (3), vehicle repairs, fitness centre (2), and both federal and provincial government services. Most shopping can be done in Montague suchs has hardware, furniture, and most other except for clothing.

Anything that is not available is easily assessible in Charlottetown which is only 30 minutes away.

Actually it's 45km....

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 9:43 am 

greenspree wrote:

Actually it's 45km....

Actually it's exactly 43 if you take the road that the tractor dealership is on. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 9:55 am 
True Islander

The Sparrows Road?

link

44.2km according to gmaps

The route I was referencing was:

link

44.6km

Last edited by greenspree on August 6th, 2007, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 10:04 am 
True Islander

Now thems long URL's. One might just sail off the edge of this here flat earth, iffn theys tried followin.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 10:32 am 

oh ffs .. Just bring lots of ciggy butts .. and shine ..
(oh and some of the green stuff wouldn't hurt) ..

and lots of really exciting stories .. of far off lands like NB .. oh the intrigue! lol (even make some up if ya have to!) ..
what else?? .. hmm .. oh ya .. if you offer to take a few of us women to the beach - The island will embrace you .. you'll feel like you've come home!! (right SC??) .. lol .. oh ya .. and ponies .. bring ponies!! (single male friends mmmmm...) ..

PEI - everyone knows eveyone, most people are somehow related and your ancestory is relevant! ... (hahaha)

ok ok ok .. all joking aside .. New to PEI you can expect hordes of people dropping by to "help" you move in /fit in .. no they aren't there just to check you out!! (well .. its a large part of it .. but...) .. and you'll be taken around and intro'd, invited to parties .. you'll have a blast .. (at first!) .. then .. well the rest kinda depends on you .. who you rub the right way vs who you rub the wrong way .. and if you're use to certain fashions .. well give it time .. they'll get here eventually !! lol ..

practise your bingo > the more cards you can run the faster - the better!
call a pint a point, if you get bet up .. its nothing to do with gambling! lol ..
the lingo might toss your mind a tad at first .. but you'll catch on! .. lol ... always tell a pfa when someone says "PFA"! lol .. (Person From Away) .. I've been here 25 years and I'm still a PFA .. sigh ..

btw - people are "nosey" as hell here .. its part of the charm .. ;) .. and it has its good points! As much as it can be annoying, if you get in trouble, need help with medical bills etc .. Islanders are famous for "butting in" and "Helping Out"! ..

and if you're having a hard time finding a decent beach - pm me! ;)

Welcome to PEI!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 12:23 pm 

I moved to Montague from S'side in 1976, knew 1 person. It took a while to be accepted but after it was a terrific place to live & work. Moved back to K'town in 1983 and there are still days when we wish we were still in Montague.
If you move to Montague be prepared to spend a little time before fully accepted but once that happens you should never regret your move.
It is also the prettiest town on PEI just miles from the best golf courses & beaches to be found anywhere in Canada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 1:08 pm 
I was joking .. that is one thing I liek about Montague ... people know when you need a hand .. long before you do .. not that they are being nosey .. but because they are that supportive ...

Lower Montague had a friendship picnic yesterday for the community ... over 100 people showed up ....

Great community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 2:01 pm 
Tourist

Well, I'm thinking we'll drop by the island and look at the area and houses nearby in a week or so. I really feel like all of your posts have been incredibly helpful. Exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

Does anyone know what the average class sizes are in that area for grade six, or around that age group? I worry the most about my daughter making the adjustment. She's a friendly outgoing kid, but the move will be hard for her, I'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 3:44 pm 
Grade six in Montague is a great grade because she will stil be in the consolidated school before entering the Junior High ... class sizes vary .. my sons class was 32 students, but he was in the french immersion ... not enough kids for two classes ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 4:37 pm 

Believe me when I say your children will adjust quicker & easier than you will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 4:44 pm 
Tourist

champ wrote:
Believe me when I say your children will adjust quicker & easier than you will.

Well that's good news! Sort of :)