Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Chicken Haddie
PostPosted: April 7th, 2007, 9:32 pm 

Just wondering if anyone has any recipes that use chicken haddie. All I've used it for is fish cakes, and I know you can use it in chowder. Any suggestions? There's a place just down the street that sells Babineau's chicken haddie! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7th, 2007, 9:45 pm 
True Islander

its funny to see that label since the plant has been closed for quite some time now..

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7th, 2007, 9:52 pm 

Uh, does that mean this stuff is super old? Or do they still use the same labels? :-& (that was supposed to be a gagging smiley, I think...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7th, 2007, 9:55 pm 
True Islander

na i think they still can the stuff with that label.. i know at one time they had a few labels that they had bought companies out for... but i wonder who is canning the stuff now under that label.. the actual fishplant has been tore down for a couple years now.. it used to be right down the road from my parents in souris. when they built the new plant i think it was pretty well polar by then.. have you ever made fish and brews... maybe good in that but may not be salty enuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7th, 2007, 10:02 pm 

It says "Packed for Ocean Choice International" on the side of the can. I had fish and brewis as a kid, but I don't remember liking it. However, there's a lot of stuff I didn't like as a kid. In most cases I didn't know what I was missing out on, lol. I could try that sometime - they sell hard bread at the same place I got the fish at. I'm not sure it would be quite the same, not being salty like you said. It might still be good though - worth a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7th, 2007, 10:16 pm 
True Islander

it is good to make fish cakes with.. so cook up some potatoes and mash em up

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7th, 2007, 10:28 pm 

Yeah, we had fish cakes for supper last night. That's one of those things I didn't appreciate as a kid, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2007, 7:27 pm 
Almost an Islander

Have you ever had true "chicken haddie?"

It's good with fresh fish - but really tasty with the canned stuff too.

Put some butter in a frying pan over medium low heat, and add about a half of an onion, chopped. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft and sweet-smelling and translucent.
Add the canned chicken haddie and stir and heat. Add about a quarter of a cup of milk and lots of black pepper. Heat through.
It's good on top of blue potatoes or mashed potatoes of any kind, or even just with biscuits.

If you are using fresh fish, corn it over night. (soak it in salty brine) Then boil it until it's cooked in new salted water, break it into tiny bits, and use it as above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2008, 1:47 pm 
Tourist

As a west coaster, I dearly love chicken haddie. Ninety-eight percent of the people out here have no idea what it is so the stores rarely stock unless it's specifically asked for.

I just bought three cans of Babineau's Chicken Haddie at our local store in Rossland, BC and the label says it was packed for, Ocean Choice PEI Inc. 20 Hope Street, Souris, PEI.

By the way, a 170 gr (6 oz) cost me $5.99. When I visit my brother in Halifax, I can pick up the big cans for $2.99 at Scobys. My east coast brother can't stand the stuff but the west Canadian branch of our family love the stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2008, 2:09 pm 
Almost an Islander

I am not afraid to show my ignorance :lol:

What is Chicken Haddie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2008, 5:57 pm 

Corden wrote:
I am not afraid to show my ignorance :lol:

What is Chicken Haddie?

It is a crossbred between a chicken and a Haddock!
:lol: :lol:
Actually it is just a name made to suit the product.
started off as small Haddock think some people called them chicks.

Think they use a mix of Haddock ,hake, cod and possibly some other fish also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 10:09 pm 
Tourist

It's actually a very mild tasting fish as far as the flavour of fish go. We make it into a sauce and put it over toast or mix it with eggs for fish cakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 11:35 pm 
True Islander

Well, I'd harbour the admission that there are older people around then me, but Chicken Haddie bring back old memories for me.

I remember working summers at Paturel's. We did up Chicken Haddie. We also canned Mackerel, did cod up and processed lobster. Some years, the labour cost of extracting meat from the bodies of lobster so they would sell 5 gallon buckets of bodies for 75 cents. Wages back then was 75 cents an hour for women and $1 per hour for men.

I don't think this was by any means, a family recipe.

She would mix about 1 kg of lobster meat with a large can of haddie. The entire mix was friend in butter with unions added to preference. Made the best damn sandwiches ever made :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2008, 11:28 pm 
Tourist

Ed, we have friend who lives out here but comes from the Island and she makes a grand chowder from chicken haddie as well as some sort of filling for little doe patties.

The young people out here won't eat anything but tuna or salmon. Ooohhh, what they are missing. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2008, 11:54 pm 
True Islander

Les-And wrote:
Ed, we have friend who lives out here but comes from the Island and she makes a grand chowder from chicken haddie as well as some sort of filling for little doe patties.

The young people out here won't eat anything but tuna or salmon. Ooohhh, what they are missing. :)

Yup. Very versatile product. Pity it wasn't marketed better. No worries...soon we'll be able to buy chicken haddie from some obscure Chinese port, marketed as a product of PEI Canada, unless the Harper government delivers on its promise to make "Made in Canada" regulations more restrictive. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2008, 12:40 am 
AND, Our Prime Minister Harper delivered that up today, May 21/08. MADE IN CANADA Means Made In Canada. 90 some per-cent of the Product MUST be made in Canada to carry the Made In Canada Label.

Ed The Sock wrote:
Les-And wrote:

Yup. Very versatile product. Pity it wasn't marketed better. No worries...soon we'll be able to buy chicken haddie from some obscure Chinese port, marketed as a product of PEI Canada, unless the Harper government delivers on its promise to make "Made in Canada" regulations more restrictive. :)

Post subject: Re: Chicken Haddie
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2010, 3:15 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hi I noticed someone wanted to know if anyone had a recipe to use Chicken Haddies and this is one I like:

Imitation Lobster

14 oz. can of Chicken Haddies, drained
onion salt
1/8 cup ketchup
1/2 cup miracle whip salad dressing
1 small carrot grated
1/2 cup chopped celery

Mix well and put into buns. Enjoy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 14th, 2010, 9:09 am 
Almost an Islander

I have also had the imitation lobster made with Chicken Haddie.

A can of Lobster Paste and mayonaisse was used as opposed to the ketchup, etc.

It was really good!

Somewhere up on high

PostPosted: August 1st, 2012, 2:01 pm 
Newly Created Account

I have the BEST recipe for Chicken Haddie, it is my ultimate Comfort Food, that and Salt Cod with Egg Sauce and fresh Potatoes. It is a Pinwheel casserole that my Mom used to make. My problem is finding Chicken Haddie! Hard to do in AB,so I send my friends and coworkers on the great Chicken Haddie quest whenever anyone heads down east....Help? Recently a friend found the desired food in a speciality shop on a visit to NFLD!!! (the tins are still in her possession however...groan...)
Not at home so I do not have the exact recipe, however...The recipe involves making a rolled oat biscuit dough and rolling it out flat so you can put the grated old cheddar cheese, green pepper, and onion (minced) on the dough. You roll it up, (your pinwheel) and lay them in the pan on top of prepared chicken haddie in a white sauce. Bake it and hmmmmmmmmm you're in heaven...It is sooooooo delicious!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 10:23 am 

Caer54BlueNoserDP wrote:
My problem is finding Chicken Haddie! Hard to do in AB,so I send my friends and coworkers on the great Chicken Haddie quest whenever anyone heads down east....Help?

That recipe sounds great! When we were in Alberta (came home about 5 years ago) we lived in Leduc, which is a town about 15 minutes south of Edmonton. Just down from the corner of 50th and 50th, heading towards the Safeway, there was a little mall with Rexall Drugs, a little liquor store, doctors' office, etc. There was a grocery store in there, on the north end I believe, and they had a display of Atlantic stuff - chicken haddie, Purity syrups, hard bread, etc... That's where I used to get it. Dunno if you're anywhere close to Leduc or if they even still sell it.

(I just pulled up Google Maps - it's Val-Mart Foods on the corner of 54th Ave and 50th St. Nothing like Google Street View to make you miss being somewhere!)