Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Papa Joe's
PostPosted: March 5th, 2007, 11:41 am 
We had dinner at Papa Joe's on Saturday.

It's been about 24 years since I have been inside that building.
I like that way it looks now. A lot of changes.

The restaurant was quite busy even so, we were seated quickly by a friendly hostess.
Our server was equally friendly and knowledgable. Great service throughout.

We started with nachos and chicken wings. Both were good. The nachos were better than most Charlottetown offerings.
Next we went on to French onion soup and mussels. The soup was quite good but the mussels were not so good. They were badly overcooked and not the freshest.

I had prime rib for my main course. It was cooked medium rare just the way I ordered. Good stuffed baked potato with it. Others at the table had New York steak which was very good and halibut which I didn't try but was told it was great.

Overall I was surprised by the meal. My expectations were low.
Definitely will return in the future.

Post subject: Re: Papa Joe's
PostPosted: March 5th, 2007, 12:01 pm 

hhost.ca wrote:
The nachos were better than most Charlottetown offerings.

I will keep this in mind!!!

charlottetown lacks in the nacho department.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2007, 11:15 am 
Almost an Islander

I have a newfound appreciation for Papa Joes too. I had low expectations too - went there once when I was about 8 years old and it was dark, smelled old, and the waitress was MEAN! But now, it's lovely. Great menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2007, 12:07 pm 

I have no problem with the food at Papa Joe's - that is, the part of the food that isn't garlic-laden to extremes, which really narrows it down.

When I've been there (I get dragged there once a year on a social function), the service has been excellent.

However, it's the decor that gets me down, both indoors and out.

Outside, there's not even a sign of any kind on the building, and they just took down their Christmas wreath last week - the place looks drab and neglected...it needs to be spruced up.

Inside, there's no decor to speak of, and the owner-manager, who's friendly enough, just wears whatever he happens to have put on that day...he looks dressed to relax in his den rather than greet diners....not professional-looking at all.

The entrance and the main counter look cluttered.

They also serve you beer in.........milk glasses! - Another pet peeve of mine.

I know that Papa Joe's still has a faithful following, but I just wish they'd make the place more appealing - when I'm in there, I feel as if I'm eating at my great-aunt's place....and it was awful messy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2007, 12:15 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

The chef at Papa Joe's catered our wedding and I have nothing but praise for his efforts at that event. We had several very favourable comments.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2007, 1:55 pm 

I used to eat at PJ's quite frequently a few years ago. Back then I had been turned off on several occasions by bad service and mediocre food. Last Sunday, my daughter and I dropped in and had their roast turkey special. IT WAS DELICIOUS! The server (Melissa) was awesome (fast, friendly and happy). I too have found a new appreciation for Papa Joe's!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6th, 2007, 9:33 pm 

we went there tonight,we both had the Lasagna.I have to tell you people,without a doubt,it was the best lasagna i've ever eaten,and believe me ,i'm fussy.and it was filling.Made sure Barb and Joanne knew about it.you have to try it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2008, 7:31 pm 
True Islander

ate there last night.

they have renovated a bit since i was there last, removing the walls that were the bar.

i ordered 3 pce fishnchips. beautiful fish, and very large portions. in fact, unless your hungry , dont order 3 pce's. its enough to feed 2 people. lots of nice tasty vegetables, and beautiful coleslaw.

my wife ordered seafood chowder, and she raved about it. no shortage of seafood in it. none. she had a club sandwich after, and said it was excellent. in fact, neither of us could finish.

service was excellent, didnt get the girls name, ( as i never do).

its place i never think of to go to eat, but i will be putting it on my most favorite list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2008, 9:07 pm 
Almost an Islander

Friends of mine were over from away and they chose to go there and I hate go against the good reviews here but we did not enjoy their food what so ever especially their fish. Found it very dry and overcooked. I would much rather go to Brits then go back Papa's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 13th, 2008, 4:03 pm 
True Islander

Well we went here today to eat as Brit's wasn't open yet. What a great meal, very hot. I really enjoyed mine. Chem?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2008, 7:35 pm 

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Yup, I was very pleased with the meal too. I had the fish and chips. Fish was great, nice sized pieces, very tasty. Veggies were very good - a lot of the time I'm not impressed by restaurant veggies because I find they're overcooked and cold. Also included pieces of turnip which was a nice change. Fries and gravy were nothing special, but they were good and hot. The whole meal was good and hot, came out quickly. Waitress was very friendly and came around a couple of times to check on us. I can't remember the last time I'd been there. Maybe when it was Ponderosa? Was it even a Ponderosa at one point? lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 10:49 am 

chem wrote:
. I can't remember the last time I'd been there. Maybe when it was Ponderosa? Was it even a Ponderosa at one point? lol.

Yes, it was a Ponderosa when I moved here in the 80s, not sure when the switchover happened, had to be some time between 1986 and 1990.

I don't mind Papa Joe's, the food is decent, but many entrées are a little too garlicky for my liking.

Service is always very friendly and competent, and the place offers very good value for money.

The Lebanese food, however, doesn't compare favorably to what you can get elsewhere, such as Cedars.

Also, I wish they'd fix up the outside of the place, and the entrance way - it all looks rather neglected, and there's no excuse for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2008, 11:52 pm 

went here the other day for lunch.

We got the hummus and pitas for a starter (both of us skipped breakfast and were really hungry...it was a late lunch, around 1pm). YUM! very good, presented nicely, with more than enough pita breads to dip, plus some veggies and a pickle :)

Boyfriend got the club. HOLY HUGE. Massive sandwich. he loved it. he got the garden salad as a side with french dressing. For some reason, i hate when restaurants just have the dressing in packages than a little dish or whatever - he got his in a package. I think it's tacky. anyway, he really liked the salad in any case!

I got the goat cheese and cranberry salad with chicken added, with the homemade balsamic vinegrette. YUM! SO good. couldn't even finish, there was so much chicken. the dressing was amazing, nice and thick. YUM. LOTS of goat cheese.

We just had some pops with our food, service was fine and dandy. Loved it!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 9:59 am 

We ate there last night, 22 of us in all, it was actually only the second time i've been inside that building, and the first was just to pick up a gift certificate a couple years ago. The service was great, the food was great, you get healty portions, etc.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 2:52 pm 

I may have to give them a 2nd try by the sounds of the reviews. I went there once about 8 or 9 years ago and the service and food was horrible. If things have improved that much it may be worth dropping in again.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2009, 8:40 pm 
Almost an Islander

been here a handfull of times,the food is good but everytime im there usually in the evening ,there is always kids running around behind the cash up and down the hall in the kitchen. cant stand eating in a resterant when the owners are babysitting while they work...but thats just me.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2009, 8:55 pm 

It would irritate me to no end to have kids running around if i was trying to eat my meal too, but you know what? i've been in that restaurant dozens and dozens of times and i have yet to see their kids running around.I'm totally surprised :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 11th, 2009, 8:17 pm 
True Islander

ate supper here tonight.

we were seated promptly at 5 50 , water poured, and menus given.

then we waited. and waited. and waited.

waitress to our order, and we waited. and waited and waited and waited.

6 45 we received our supper.

i ordered fish nchips, wife had a steak sandwich.

fish was excellent! still one of the best fish orders in town, maybe the best. chips not so much. refreid fries, tough, half cold. ( new i shoulda got mashed)

wife had no complaints.

all in all, a fair meal on my part, but i must say they have fantastic coleslaw!

PostPosted: February 12th, 2009, 7:21 am 
Almost an Islander

Used to go here every Wednesday, when I worked in Charlottetown, for their boiled dinner, it was the special on Wednesdays, it was delicious.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2009, 11:23 am 
True Islander

linetwig wrote:
fish was excellent! still one of the best fish orders in town, maybe the best. chips not so much. refreid fries, tough, half cold. ( new i shoulda got mashed)

You should try the fish at the Churchill Arm's. Just don't order the two piece! :lol: