* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Possible PEI move from the UK
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 5:42 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hello – my name is Paul, I’m in the UK and more importantly, this is my first post here.

My wife and I are giving some serious consideration to moving to PEI within a year or two of clearing our mortgage (four years to go) and the more we read about PEI the more we’re drawn to the island. Have we visited? Nooooo, but we’ve travelled through Ontario and extensively around New England if that counts for anything.

I suppose we’re looking for a slower pace of life compared to here (hey, I’m only 44 and I’m already feeling a bit burnt out), from what I’ve seen the scenery looks beautiful, the property prices seem very reasonable compared to here and the weather (of which I suppose you get a lot of) is more predictable by season than here (here it's seems it's just either cold and damp or hot and humid). I am also of the opinion (like most Brits) that from where I write, this country is on the slide somewhat...we seem to follow America a little too much and that's not a good thing in my opinion…not a day goes past where the news isn’t full of, well bad news. We’re just getting a little tired of the way the UK is going, increased taxes, money-grabbing authorities, speed cameras, way too much religion in the media all the time, and ultimately the expense of everything (for instance, petrol/gas at about $2.30CAD anyone?).

So I need some help here. I’d like to strike up exchanges with islanders that will either sway or dissuade us from making the jump. Good places to live, places to avoid. Things to do (anyone need a bass player?). We’ll probably end up there on a proper holiday within a year or two anyway, so it’ll be nice knowing we’re not strangers!

Thanks in advance!
P

Last edited by PlanetGaffnet on February 7th, 2007, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 5:54 pm 
Almost an Islander

We're invading 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 7:41 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Hi Paul. Do you want to live in a city or small town or in the country? Also, there are lots of bands around so I'm sure you could find somebody to play bass with.

Just ask the questions and somebody here will answer them I am sure! There is also another "move to PEI" thread going on so you should check that out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 7:50 pm 
True Islander

Hey Paul - welcome aboard.

One serious positive about PEI - we don't have the boot here. It is huge bonus.

You are (probably) the 5th or 6th Brit in the last year to sign up here for information on PEI. I hope we can fulfill your needs.

I also hope - that unlike one of your country men - if you come for a pre-visit - you at least take the time for a coffee with some of us. j/k

We are the Island - you will be assimilated - resistance is futile.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 7:55 pm 
Almost an Islander

philipw wrote:

I also hope - that unlike one of your country men - if you come for a pre-visit - you at least take the time for a coffee with some of us. j/k

:lol: :lol:

Also on a serious note, send snowdonia a private message - he's already on the Island and I'm sure he would be full of useful information for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 8:43 pm 

Which part of Britain are you located? What kind of band are you looking to play in? I know a couple different bands looking for bass players.

Oh, sorry, welcome!

Edit...where is Berkshire?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 8:54 pm 
Almost an Islander

Lee berkym wrote:

Edit...where is Berkshire?

Berkshire is directly left of, and next to, Greater London. I've lived in Reading (its main town) and it's one of the main commuter locations for London due to its *supposedly* good rail links.

It also has other well known places located in the county, such as Slough and Windsor, just to name a few.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 9:06 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

So what do you guys think of your royal family? Do you think William will get engaged this year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 9:39 pm 
Almost an Islander

FRANKIE wrote:
So what do you guys think of your royal family? Do you think William will get engaged this year?

Personally, I don't have a problem with having a Royal family, but I would prefer them to be more progressive and modelled on the Scandanavian Royals. Less wealth and more accountability basically. If for nothing else, we should keep them for their touristic value.

I think there is a general concensus that things will get *better* when William eventually takes the throne. Also, part of me does feel very very very slightly sorry for Charles. The guy was raised to be King, was taught all the royal protocols etc., but his mother is making sure he won't get that long on the throne.

Will William get engaged this year? No, this won't happen for a few years and this will be the test for the couple. William will spend the next couple of years in service, in different roles and won't have that much time with Kate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 10:01 pm 

justintime wrote:
We're invading 8)

so true.. so true :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 4:26 am 
Newly Created Account

Thanks for your speedy replies! I did a search on justintime's postings here and did have a quick scan through the whole 'Moving to PEI' thread.

Concerning my location, I'm in Crowthorne, Berkshire - go to Google maps and type in that and you'll find where I am quite easily. We're not classified as the country as such; we're surrounded by bigger towns, but woods and forest form a nice barrier from them, so we retain that villagey feel.

Incidentally, we did have snow overnight - about three inches of fine powdery stuff - and as is the British way, I understand the country has slowed and come to a standstill ('massive disruption', they just said on the radio). This ticks another box for me!
P

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 7:05 am 
True Islander

Er...you Brits ain't Coloninzing us again...right>

hehe hadda say it :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 7:49 am 
Almost an Islander

ed"the sock" wrote:

You'll be playing cricket by the summer! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 8:12 am 
True Islander

justintime wrote:
ed"the sock" wrote:

You'll be playing cricket by the summer! :)

LOL Play it...I can't even bloody understand it LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 8:44 am 
True Islander

Quote:
Incidentally, we did have snow overnight - about three inches of fine powdery stuff - and as is the British way, I understand the country has slowed and come to a standstill ('massive disruption', they just said on the radio). This ticks another box for me!

On PEI - at the 3 foot mark of a storm - you are expected to be out side before sunrise - have your car dug out and your lane shovelled and be able to leave in plenty of time to clock in on the job a few minutes early.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 12:28 pm 
True Islander

justintime wrote:
We're invading 8)

This will change the island accent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 12:33 pm 

I once saw some weird psychic on TV claim that Britain was going to be completely flooded over, prompting the entire UK population to move to North America! :roll:

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2007, 1:32 pm 

My wife is from England. She immigrated here and she likes it better here, she says. More open space and far far less crime.
She still has that bloody accent which will never be lost.
There are a lot of ex-pats here and most of them support each other so you won't feel alone.

Post subject: Accents..
PostPosted: February 9th, 2007, 9:40 pm 
Almost an Islander

brianmiller wrote:
My wife is from England. She immigrated here and she likes it better here, she says. More open space and far far less crime.
She still has that bloody accent which will never be lost.
There are a lot of ex-pats here and most of them support each other so you won't feel alone.

Hi Brian,

Which part of Britain is your wife from? as for my accent? I was brought up between Canada (Montreal ) and England ( South Shields ) so that makes me a Geordie Cannuck ;)

My roots are well and truly set in Prince Edward Island`s rich red clay, love it, and if all goes well, I shall be staying on the Island to..

And where do people always think I`m from? Ireland :D and my Dad a true Island son was often taken for Irish ;)
Thats that lovely Canadian accent for you...
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 10th, 2007, 1:30 pm 

The midlands. Birmingham area, actually. I am under the impression we don't like Geordies. But you'll have to check with her on that. :lol: