Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Moving to P.E.I.
PostPosted: February 6th, 2007, 3:20 pm 
Almost an Islander

Hi there,

I currently live in Alberta, and am pondering a move to P.E.I. I was wondering how expensive (or not) it is to live there - Charlottetown in particular, P.E.I. in general..

Is there really a lower cost of living? I have seen it mentioned in a few places, but am interested to hear how it really is..

Thanks!

Corden

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2007, 3:27 pm 

IMHO if you're going to move to PEI, try to live in one of the smaller centralized towns, or Summerside or Charlottetown. Living in the countryside may be your thing (God knows it's beautiful out in some of the sticks) but during the wintertime if you get a LOT of snow (and it happens), you're out in the boonies the roads can be inaccessible, your own house may even be covered in snow! I wouldn't want to be all isolated out in the country like that, myself. The rural roads can be inaccessible sometimes at that time of year.

I remember that in January in 1992 we had such thick snow that the roads in Summerside were lined up about 5-6 feet thick on either side of the road. Better to be in town with that kind of weather.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2007, 4:57 pm 
True Islander

Hi Corden,

We moved to PEI from Northern Alberta in 2005 and have not noticed it being any cheaper living here then in Grande Prairie. We live in Charlottetown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2007, 5:41 pm 
True Islander

good lord folks, everyone is moving west, not east, lol :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2007, 5:48 pm 
Almost an Islander

Average prices for properties sold in Dec 2006:

Edmonton: $294,155
Calgary: $361,611
PEI: $127,823
Source: Canadian Real Estate Association

What I was really looking for was a comparison between similar type homes, but I could only find a general average. It's hard to find specific information that actually includes little ol' PEI. But all you have to do is go to http://www.mls.ca and do some comparisons for yourself. I noticed the average price of a detached house in Calgary is $358,214. That to me sounds utterly ridiculous.

Some things do cost more here than in Alberta. The most obvious one is fuel, but we also tend to pay a little more for certain foods like meat, poultry, eggs and other dairy products, furniture, utilities, automotive vehicles, public transportation and booze. I also find that our taxes aren't as low as some people think. 2006 Comparison of Taxes and Household Charges (Done by Gov of Sask).

However, we tend to pay way less for housing/rent and health care. We also don't pay the 10% Provincial Sales Tax on clothing and footwear; most Islanders assume that other provinces have similar exemptions, which they do not (last time I checked).

I haven't even touched on income comparisons (and I won't), but as you can see, there are many different factors to consider. The most important to me personally is the quality of life factor. I've talked to people who have moved away from here to make double their salaries and sometimes even more. But most of them come back (especially the ones that were born here). A friend of mine who moved home from Ontario put it best in his blog by saying:

Quote:
The quality of life here is unparalleled anywhere. Life here is extremely free of crime, traffic, pollution, interference by the state (Ontario has a rule, law against or about everything. When's the last time you had a beach bonfire in Windsor?? You can't even drink legally in Ontario provincial campgrounds!) People are friendly here and go out of their way to help you if you need it. If your car breaks down in Ontario you can be fined for obstructing traffic, if your car breaks down in PEI you don't need a cell, the first person who comes along will pick you up and drive you wherever you need to go. Our climate is amazing, we've even beat Victoria for mild weather this Fall, it's never too hot in the summer, or too cold in the winter. Our Island is phenomenally beautiful. After living here all my life (27 years) I'm still blown away by our beaches, etc. Great people, great life...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2007, 6:09 pm 

Quote:
We also don't pay the 10% Provincial Sales Tax on clothing and footwear; most Islanders assume that other provinces have similar exemptions, which they do not (last time I checked).

Alberta has no provincial sales tax...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2007, 6:16 pm 
Almost an Islander

RedRock wrote:
Alberta has no provincial sales tax...

That's pretty sweet. I see Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon don't either.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2007, 7:40 pm 
True Islander

I would suggest charlottetown or close to it.. not to offend anyone but i find the views of alot of people summerside or so can be a bit odd.. and really summerside has not much to offer if you ask me. AS for all the snow and terrible roads in rural pei it isn't as bad as steve makes out.. I live in the "booneys" and comutted to summerside everyday for work and back. in 3 years i missed about 5 days due to weather but on them days it didn't matter where you lived you where not going anywhere... good luck with your move

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2007, 8:11 pm 

Steve's recollection was accurate for the time but today the winter weather is far milder and not much more of a hindrance for travel as anywhere else.

Depending on what type of place you're looking for, there's lots to choose from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 7:24 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

TTBoy wrote:
I would suggest charlottetown or close to it.. not to offend anyone but i find the views of alot of people summerside or so can be a bit odd.. and really summerside has not much to offer if you ask me.

As someone who has lived in both Summerside and Charlottetown, I find TTBoy's comments quite unfounded.

The BIG difference between the two places is pride. Summersiders are actually generally really quite proud of their city whereas Charlottetonians are rather blasé. The level of community involvement and volunteerism in Summerside is unparalleled in any place I've ever lived (not to say that there aren't other places in where that kind of spirit exists).

Here are a couple of examples: Summerside has twice hosted Canada's national Junior 'A' hockey championships. Both times, they were huge successes (Summerside is one of only two cities to have ever granted the tournament twice). Charlottetown hosted the same tournament and it was a bust. I went to several games and never saw more than 1000 in attendance, whereas almost each and every game at both tourneys in Summerside were sellouts or near sellouts.

Summerside has hosted two world championships in baseball/softball and both were big successes. Charlottetown has hosted a few Canadian championships and the crowds were abysmal.

Take a drive around Charlottetown in the weeks leading up to "spring cleanup". Despite bylaws and well advertised restrictions on when to place your junk at curbside, Charlottetonians pile their garbage on the side of the road weeks in advance of the collection week making the city look like hillbilly central ... no pride there, eh?

For the most part, I haven't found any quality-of-life areas where Charlottonians have it better than Summersiders ... unless you measure your quality of life by the number of fast food restaurants Charlottetown has compared to Summerside :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Moving to P.E.I.
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 8:44 am 
True Islander

Corden wrote:
Hi there,

I currently live in Alberta, and am pondering a move to P.E.I. I was wondering how expensive (or not) it is to live there - Charlottetown in particular, P.E.I. in general..

Is there really a lower cost of living? I have seen it mentioned in a few places, but am interested to hear how it really is..

Thanks!

Corden

What makes you ponder moving to PEI?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 9:33 am 
Almost an Islander

Kreskin wrote:
Charlottetonians pile their garbage on the side of the road weeks in advance of the collection week making the city look like hillbilly central ... no pride there, eh?

I agree with you there. Walking to work down Fitzroy street in the weeks before metals collection looks worse than the morning after hurricane Juan. Old dish washers, BBQ's, bed frames and rusted bikes seem to be popular items.

Kreskin wrote:
For the most part, I haven't found any quality-of-life areas where Charlottonians have it better than Summersiders ... unless you measure your quality of life by the number of fast food restaurants Charlottetown has compared to Summerside :lol:

I can't really speak for the fast food joints since I try to avoid those places, but I think us "Charlottonians" have it pretty good for places to eat out, considering our size. I think that's a big plus for both the citizens and the local economy. I would include that feature in any quality of life measurements for sure.

As far as pride goes, I can see where you are coming from. I think people from Charlottetown take things for granted. We have lots of Junior hockey, concerts, festivals, harness racing and even the odd monster truck rally. When something big actually happens in Summerside, they're buying tickets for their pets while they're at it. People from Summerside are more in tune with the importance of supporting local events. The mayor has done a fantastic job promoting the city of Summerside because the city has an uphill battle in terms of getting on the map.

When you're in Summerside it feels like you're in a different province or something. I've discussed this with different people before, and I can't quite put my finger on it. I've had friends who have tried living there but couldn't wait to move back to Charlottetown; and one of them grew up in St. Peter's!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 10:46 am 

IMO when someone in Summerside says 'this would be good for the community', on an organiational level, everyone pitches in to help. In Charlottetown when someone says "this would be good for the community' it is expected that levels of government will do the organizing. However both cities get a great public response for volunteers to assist in running the event. That's how it seems to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 10:58 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

pei_guy11 wrote:
When you're in Summerside it feels like you're in a different province or something.

It certainly does.

Snow removal on downtown streets in Summerside being completed within hours of a storm ending (compared to days in Charlottetown) ... just like in most cities in other provinces. Sidewalk clearing/sanding/salting getting almost equal priority.

And maybe this is a problem inherent to any government town, but in Charlottetown there seems to be this underlying attitude/sentiment of "let government (or someone else) do it" whereas in Summerside there is more of a "take charge" attitude. For example ... in Summerside, you often see people picking up other people's litter whereas in Charlottetown the attitude seems to be "a city worker will be along sometime in the next few days to deal with that, so why should I exert myself to help our city look good". One friend (who has also lived in both places) likened it to Summersiders just roll up their sleeves and take care of business whereas Charlottetonians stand around talking about who it is that should be taking care of business :lol:

Don't get me wrong. I love Charlottetown too. But I won't stand idly by when people start dissing Summerside for no valid reason.

edit: yeah, what Timothy said :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 11:08 am 
Almost an Islander

Socktan:

My wife may potentially be getting a promotion which would lead us out there... we should potentially know in the next few days.

Also, my family historically came from the island (I have never been, but my Great Grandfather left back in the beginning years of the twentieth century). So the familial history thing is a bit of a draw, as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 11:22 am 
True Islander

Quote:
"a city worker will be along sometime in the next few days to deal with that, so why should I exert myself to help our city look good"

I think I posted this before. City truck - one of those trucks used to go around and clear the garbage cans - driving up Fitzroy St. one evening - slows and stops.

I think "oh good - finally going to get rid of that garbage on the other side of the street - been there much of the day - the usual fast food litter.

Ha. Guy jumps out of the truck - kicks the fast food bag aside as he walks over and picks up two beer bottles lying in the grass - walks back to the truck - lovenly places the beer bottles in the box of the truck - ensuring that they can not be broken - and drives away.

Course it may have been his coffee break and union rules may have prevented him from picking up the garbage.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 11:28 am 
Almost an Islander

Having lived in both Summerside & Charlottetown, one of the big differences that I notice is the lack of places to eat in Summerside. As part of my job I used to organize lunch meetings for groups of 10-15 people all across PEI. Very few places to do this in Summerside other than the loyalist.... Charlottetown has numerous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 11:38 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

peiguy wrote:
Having lived in both Summerside & Charlottetown, one of the big differences that I notice is the lack of places to eat in Summerside. As part of my job I used to organize lunch meetings for groups of 10-15 people all across PEI. Very few places to do this in Summerside other than the loyalist.... Charlottetown has numerous.

Agreed. But then the population of the Charlottetown area is three times the size of Summerside's too, so naturally there will be more options.

Just like Summerside has more options than Tignish, Kensington, Montague or Souris :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 11:47 am 
True Islander

Corden wrote:
Socktan:

My wife may potentially be getting a promotion which would lead us out there... we should potentially know in the next few days.

Also, my family historically came from the island (I have never been, but my Great Grandfather left back in the beginning years of the twentieth century). So the familial history thing is a bit of a draw, as well...

Good stuff, I wish you the best of luck with the promotion, Corden!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 11:48 am 
Almost an Islander

Kreskin wrote:
in Summerside, you often see people picking up other people's litter

You've actually seen this? "often"??? Gross.

So would you suggest that we adopt the same "take charge attitude" as Summerside and shovel the streets ourselves? Snow removal in Charlottetown has been poison the last few years, especially the sidewalks. I think the Confederation Trail gets more attention than the sidewalks do in downtown Charlottetown. They're missing the mark when trying to promote healthy/active living when they don't make a path for people to be able to walk to work/school.

You can quote this typical "Charlottonian" anytime when I say "let government (or someone else) do it". I don't know about you, but when we pay as much taxes as we do, I don't blame people for expecting to have a clean city without having to pick up some idiot's garbage that shouldn't have been put there in the first place.

edit: Corden, if you ever want to trace your family's history here, I can point you in the right direction. The provincial registry office is one good source, which is just down the hall from me.

Last edited by pei_guy11 on February 7th, 2007, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail