Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Moving to PEI
PostPosted: December 27th, 2006, 8:34 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hello...my family and I are thinking of moving to PEI from the Montreal area and are looking for some feedback on the family life out there to make sure our two children would be happy. I am a general contractor in renovations and would also like any info on that topic as far as demand is concerned. I hear Pei is a great place and I would certainly like to buy a nice old home there and renovate it. I hope everyone is doing great and happy holidays to all! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2006, 8:40 pm 
PEI is really a great place to raise a family.
As far as contracting goes it is like most things on PEI, very seasonal.

You will have no problem finding a reasonably priced home, even one that would require minimal renovations.
You will hear a lot of negative comments here about nothing to do and a boring small place to be, but PEI is literally what you make of it.

There are far more groups and organizations here than people want to realize.
There is a world of opportunities for your kids and plenty of entertainment and dining for you and the wife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2006, 8:46 pm 
True Islander

We moved here with our now 4-year old last year in August and it has been a tremendous move for us. My husband is in retail and I'm with the fed gov't so I can't really comment on contracting work (although we have hired our share of contractors over the past year for renos, etc)...

As far as family life goes, we haven't experienced a community such as Ch'town where our family is welcome and there is never ending stuff to get our daughter involved in from sports to theatre to playgroups, etc. And as far as adult-life, we have met some great people and if you're willing to get involved and 'put yourself out there' - you'll have no problem making a home for yourself and your family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2006, 9:54 pm 
Almost an Islander

Hey RenoMan,

where abouts are you from in Montréal? Grew up in Pointe Claire myself. Family still in in PC and Beaconsfield, as well as around QC (Stoneham).

If you move you'll have to get used to much less tax, lower property prices, lower cost of living. Think you can handle it? :D Politics are still nuts, but easily adjusted to. :wink:

As a contractor, set up your own business and you'll have no problems. Bit of work, but beats the alternative. For kids, this place CANNOT be beat.

We were actually considering moving back to QC (business reasons) a couple of months ago, but received a very sternly worded letter from Mam saying NO, that we would be nuts.

As Paella said, the Island is a community, no doubts. Get involved and you're in. People may even ignore that you are "from away". :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2006, 10:13 pm 
go to www.gentleisland.com it is the Provincial web site and there is lots of information on coming to the Island and setting up a business

http://www.gov.pe.ca/infopei/index.php3 ... 141&lang=E

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 12:24 am 

Yes to all of the above....................as well as the highest rates of impaired driving, alcoholisim, high school dropouts, teen pregnancy, illiteracy, childhood asthma, adult obesity & unemployment in all of Canada.

Great place to bring up children as well, as long as you don't mind watching them leave for opportunity elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 1:32 am 

Be sure to hit the beaches often when you get here!

Go the the north shore beaches, they're much better in that they're white sand as opposed to the red clay beaches in the southern coast.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 7:00 am 
an_away_spud wrote:
Yes to all of the above....................as well as the highest rates of impaired driving, alcoholisim, high school dropouts, teen pregnancy, illiteracy, childhood asthma, adult obesity & unemployment in all of Canada.

Great place to bring up children as well, as long as you don't mind watching them leave for opportunity elsewhere.

Hey, I love PEI, so I was suprised to hear we had so much going against us. But a quick search of Stats Canada ... and PEI doesn't seem to fare as bad as one would think.

According to Stats Canada, Saskatchewan has the highest rate of impared drivers, but Prince Edward Island has the highest rate of convictions.

Alberta was listed as the province with the highest consumption of alcohol based on legal age and sales from provincial liquor stores. This was from a study done by the BC Wine and Spirit Association in 2005.

As far as high school drop outs Quebec has a high-school dropout rate of 16% from stats used by Wikipedia.

And from Health Canada 2006, teenage pregnancy rates tend to be high in the North and the Prairie provinces and low in the Atlantic region.

As far as illiteracy in Canada, it is very difficult to find any recent stats as most groups who assist these needs look for Federal funding across Canada or through School Boards so the money is allotted across the areas and not necessarily focused where they see the need. In 1997 Manitoba was listed with Stats Canada with the highest rate of rural illiteracy.

The rate of hospital admission/separation for asthma was highest in Prince Edward Island and lowest in Manitoba and British Columbia in the 80's. During the decade, the rates of death from asthma were three times higher (then the Nathional average) in Saskatchewan and Alberta than in Newfoundland. (A further study was done to determine if the higher hospital admissions lead to the lower death rate).

Also from Stats Canada in 2005 adult obesity percentages varied slightly from one province to the next.

And Newfoundland beat Prince Edward Island for the highest unemployment rate in 2006.

Just saying ... not everything is all bad here :)

Last edited by singlecougar on December 28th, 2006, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 7:18 am 

I once heard that back in the 90's, TOSH in Summerside had the highest teen pregnancy rate of any high school in Canada.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 8:35 am 

stevebeairsto wrote:
Be sure to hit the beaches often when you get here!

Go the the north shore beaches, they're much better in that they're white sand as opposed to the red clay beaches in the southern coast.

Well, you might get the white sand instead of the red but the water is warmer and there are no rip tides or under tows on the south side. Much safer than the north side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 9:08 am 

an_away_spud wrote:

And don't forget.....chronic complainers. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 9:27 am 
And don't forget.....chronic complainers. :roll:[/quote]

Guilty as charged! LOL ... can I insert a complaint about the snow last night? It came too late for Christmas, came too late to keep me home from work last night and too bright this morning all glittery and stuff, when I am trying to sleep. The stupid white stuff has me all in the Christmas mood, AFTER Christmas! BahHumBug! :) Anyone, wanna make a snow person?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 9:32 am 
True Islander

I volunteer to help ya make a 2 faced snow angel ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 9:35 am 
edited.

Last edited by kratz on December 28th, 2006, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 9:37 am 
how about I pack a whole "wack" of snow around you and we use your head for the snow person? And to make it look really good, we will spray it with water so it holds its shape .... hmmm .... I wonder how long it would take for you to get out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 9:38 am 
True Islander

LOL like to make your own freezy treats do ya hehe

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 10:19 am 
Welcome to PEI Talk renoman.

Lots of people have asked about moving to the Island and they have received all kinds of advice in return. Here are links to some of the earlier conversations:

- Moving to PEI

- Moving to PEI!

- Moving to the Island

- Possibly relocating to PEI - Any Advice / Info?

- Okay - I've Arrived.

- Immigration!

- Moving

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 10:23 am 
Newly Created Account

Thank you soo much to all of you who replied...even if they weren't all upbeat, I'll have to take the ups with the downs...Singlecougar especially put in a lot of research and you all made me feel welcome already.
In response to longlostirishman, I live in St.Bruno. Beatiful place but I am looking for a little slower pace of living where I can enjoy my family more and make new friends. The traffic here in Montreal, as you know, has now finally gotten to me and I can no longer stand the snobs of quebec.I f you hear of a house for sale (3+ bedrooms with a lot of land ,may need repairs) for under $100,000, please let me know. I hope you all have a great day and to hear from you soon. [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 10:34 am 
You are welcome and if you go to the www.gentleisland.com order a visitors guide. The new ones will be out soon.

Pick an area you are considering and what is important to you. Like school, distance to shopping, beaches and such ... I will help out with some suggestions and I will find the websites for the online postings to give you some idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 28th, 2006, 12:43 pm 

Renoman--welcome.
Here is a MLS site to look at for property on PEI
http://www.mls.ca/map.aspx?AreaID=6241
I hope you can open to view.

the right thing at the right time,
But also to leave unsaid the wrong thing
at the tempting moment. "