Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: favourite teacher
PostPosted: October 15th, 2006, 11:14 am 
True Islander

shelley wrote:
That is just so awesome !!!..... :D

We were all a little flabberghasted, actually.... I'd heard stories about Sr. Sark since I was little... with the stories I'd hard, I think I would have been scared of her.. *L* But for Mom, that call kinda made her day...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2006, 11:35 am 
True Islander

lol ya, i had a few teachers that were nuns and some of them were stern....altho one of them had a voice that was so mild that i kept falling asleep in class.....so i stopped going to her class.......got a 21 in english that year........lol...... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2006, 12:52 pm 
Almost an Islander

my fav teacher was Mr Sonny Grant in grade 5. He was so nice and would even get a bunch of us into the school on saturdays to paint murals on the walls. Also liked Miss Marsha Schurman, she would bring her guitar in all the time for sing songs. Both taught out of Parkside at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2006, 9:51 pm 

Fireside wrote:
My favorite teacher was my grade 8 homeroom teacher at Birchwood Junior High School in 1987-88. Mr Bernard Pepin. I was in French Immersion, and Mr. Pepin was the most understanding and dedicated teacher I had for my entire school career. He worked with the students to find a way for each student to achieve their best in a way that worked best for them. Dedicated, he sent home report cards every three weeks, which included all of our tests that had to be signed by our parents. If he noticed our marks slipping, even a little he would call for a parent/student/teacher conference to try and find out if something was going on at school or home or just in the students life in general that might be affecting their performance at school. I was a student who passed grade 7 Late Immersion with barely a 69% but with Mr. Pepin as my teacher and having him as such a great mentor, I began to love school and my marks improved to where I achieved an 84% overall average. He knew how to talk to the students, at their level, understood us. He made learning fun, interesting. He was for sure my favorite, and teacher I remember the most out of any of my teachers at school ever. Not sure if he is still teaching, but if he is, his students should consider themselves lucky. One great teacher! I still remember our class trip to Quebec and Mr. Pepin on the dance floor with the students dancing it up with Mdme Dugay! Fun times indeed. Nice to have some good school memories. I never had a teacher again like Mr. Pepin!

Berni!!! I was good friends with his daughter...he is pretty cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2006, 9:58 pm 

My favorite teachers were:

Mr. Richard Baker, Stonepark Jr. High
Mrs. Janet Harper, Sherwood School
Mrs. Bonnie Rodgerson, Charlottetown Rural
Prof. Judson, UPEI
Richard Kurial, UPEI

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2006, 11:46 pm 

Lee berkym wrote:
Fireside wrote:
My favorite teacher was my grade 8 homeroom teacher at Birchwood Junior High School in 1987-88. Mr Bernard Pepin. I was in French Immersion, and Mr. Pepin was the most understanding and dedicated teacher I had for my entire school career. He worked with the students to find a way for each student to achieve their best in a way that worked best for them. Dedicated, he sent home report cards every three weeks, which included all of our tests that had to be signed by our parents. If he noticed our marks slipping, even a little he would call for a parent/student/teacher conference to try and find out if something was going on at school or home or just in the students life in general that might be affecting their performance at school. I was a student who passed grade 7 Late Immersion with barely a 69% but with Mr. Pepin as my teacher and having him as such a great mentor, I began to love school and my marks improved to where I achieved an 84% overall average. He knew how to talk to the students, at their level, understood us. He made learning fun, interesting. He was for sure my favorite, and teacher I remember the most out of any of my teachers at school ever. Not sure if he is still teaching, but if he is, his students should consider themselves lucky. One great teacher! I still remember our class trip to Quebec and Mr. Pepin on the dance floor with the students dancing it up with Mdme Dugay! Fun times indeed. Nice to have some good school memories. I never had a teacher again like Mr. Pepin!

I remember once when his daughters came into our class to work on a science project about taste buds...he was my favorite teacher...he was great....if only all teachers were like him, our school system would be sooooooooooo much better off

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11th, 2006, 1:29 pm 

Tracy wrote:
To get back on topic... :lol:

My favourite teacher at MRHS was Evelyn MacLure, my Grade 11 English teacher.

I found her to be very witty and extremely intelligent.

Right on, score another vote for 'Heavy Evy"....she was mean, tough, funny, tempermental and inspirational.

Plus she was the only person ever to convince us to try eating dried seaweed. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11th, 2006, 6:44 pm 
True Islander

Lee berkym wrote:
Mr. Richard Baker, Stonepark Jr. High

I remember Mr. Baker... he was the librarian when I went there, I think... I wanted to be a library monitor... he scheduled me for tuesday mornings.. when I told him I could do tuesday mornings because that wast he day I went for bloodwork, he told me I couldn't be a monitor... I was pretty upset at the time..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 7:22 pm 

Lee berkym wrote:
Fireside wrote:

Which daughter?? I grew up a few doors away from the Pepins and knew the family very well..Bernie wasn't too fond of me at times but I really don't blame him..Good guy overall tho, never had him as a teacher...

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 7:31 pm 

Fav teachers of mine were J.B MacDonald and Gordie McCarville...You could ask Gordie a question and get him off topic and he would spend the entire class in a story that had nothing to do with what he was suppose to be teaching you..In that class Thane Arsenault was a student teacher as well and we had a good time that semester..Thane may take some heat for reffing but he is a good guy away from the rink...

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2006, 7:49 pm 
True Islander

Hawk wrote:
Fav teachers of mine were J.B MacDonald and Gordie McCarville...You could ask Gordie a question and get him off topic and he would spend the entire class in a story that had nothing to do with what he was suppose to be teaching you..In that class Thane Arsenault was a student teacher as well and we had a good time that semester..Thane may take some heat for reffing but he is a good guy away from the rink...

Well, it's obvious we went to the same school... *G* I had Mr. McCarville for Gr. 10 Geography and PEI History in Gr. 12.. and had JB for Gr. 11 English the second time around... I remember my first day in Geography, he was going around the class.. was saying who everyone was related to.. I stumped him.. because I'm not related to anyone on the Island.. *L*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14th, 2006, 2:35 am 
True Islander

I'd have to say, after a great deal of thought, that Fred Hodge, of P.C.V.H.S. (now assimilated by Holland College) would get my real nod as my greatest teacher...after mom.

1st, Mom

First, a word about mom. She passed away many years ago, but she deserves this mention.

When I was about 10, our clothes dryer died. She called up Holman's and their appliance tech came over and spliced the element. This lasted 3 days.

Now, remember, I was 10. I told mom that since elements get too hot to solder, the tech used a spliced one, and spliced elements develop hotspot and burned out. I suppose today, it would have been considered abuse to let a kid fix a 220V appliance, but that repair gave me confidence to repair the water tank and most other appliances in the house over then next few years.

I never learned to "Fear" taking on a repair and learned early, the need for documenting wiring. I learned that most machines can be figured out just by looking at them and visualizing their function. These lessons from Mom have served me far better, then her cooking lessons :)

Best real teacher.

Fred Hodge was my electronics teacher at P.C.V.H.S. from 1971 to 1973. Mr. Hodge seemed to get a kick, when I'd lean against the wall and sleep. Usually, he just let me sleep. He knew that I'd been studying since age 10 and wasn't about to miss a lot sleeping through a class.

Every now and then, Mr. Hodge would decide to shock me awake. Things would go silent as he aimed his chalk missle just over my head...often close enough to stick a clump of hair to the wall. The man had a good arm.

Nature helps us adapt to change and soon I was waking up just as he took aim.

Mr. Hodge liked to challange his students. One of our projects was to build an audio amp. We could build a state of the art custom unit or a simple one. Those of us that wanted to learn much more, by building the more challanging amps were rewarded with something we'd keep for years.

Mr. Hodge seemed to like making me work and pushed me on to a few school projects, like yearbook and the school canteen.

I can't say that I have ever had a teacher who had fulfilled his job better.

p.s. there are rumours, from credible sources, that I may have contributed to at least 1 teacher needing a long rest in a sanitarium :evil:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14th, 2006, 8:10 am 
Almost an Islander

Hey,
I just wanted to say thank you for starting this post. I am a teacher and it's great to see that people still remember great teachers from their past and the impact those teachers have had. It is good for me to see threads like this because it inspires me and makes me want to be written about years down the road by one of my former students.

As for my memorable teachers, my Gr.9 and 12 English teacher Sigmund Rinas, from Clarke High School in Newcastle, Ontario. Great guy. He taught me sarcasm and self deprication in its most humourous form...

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14th, 2006, 5:25 pm 

Hawk wrote:
Lee berkym wrote:
Fireside wrote:

Which daughter?? I grew up a few doors away from the Pepins and knew the family very well..Bernie wasn't too fond of me at times but I really don't blame him..Good guy overall tho, never had him as a teacher...

Hey...I hung out with Kim....we had some good high school days!!!
I would prob. know you as well...I knew most on the street! Mr. McCarville was a great teacher...as well as TR (if you had him).

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14th, 2006, 7:32 pm 

Hey I know you then...LOL @ TR...what a teacher, not sure if I would say he is a great teacher but he was memorable...You could do anything in that class and everyone pretty much did...Sleeping, smoking, openly cheating, crawling out the windows to leave halfway through class....

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11th, 2006, 7:50 pm 
True Islander

two jump into my mind, grade 4 i thinik it was , eric foster, glen stewart. a true teacher and gentleman. i was having trouble in math , ...r eal trouble. he called my mother ( didnt wait for the interviews they have) and offered to help me at lunch or after school. i think i did maybe 1 lunch, and 1 day after school. if memory serves me, he even drove me home. now, that was a teacher!!! god they should all be like him.
the second was/is carma smith, stonepark, if you had her as a teacher you know about her. she was 5' tall, pure firecracker. olde fashioned teacher, new her stuff, took no guff. god, she was the only teacher who ever scared me, but she had my respect, still does...... she scared me into learning, lol. too damn bad all the teachers we'rent like mr foster and mrs smith.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 12th, 2006, 10:48 pm 

line twig wrote:
two jump into my mind, grade 4 i thinik it was , eric foster, glen stewart. a true teacher and gentleman. i was having trouble in math , ...r eal trouble. he called my mother ( didnt wait for the interviews they have) and offered to help me at lunch or after school. i think i did maybe 1 lunch, and 1 day after school. if memory serves me, he even drove me home. now, that was a teacher!!! god they should all be like him.
the second was/is carma smith, stonepark, if you had her as a teacher you know about her. she was 5' tall, pure firecracker. olde fashioned teacher, new her stuff, took no guff. god, she was the only teacher who ever scared me, but she had my respect, still does...... she scared me into learning, lol. too damn bad all the teachers we'rent like mr foster and mrs smith.

Killer Karma!! I had her, she was a pure firecracker! I still remember what she taught me though! I see her @ the Spa all the time. She's a fantastic person once your taller and not in her class. If you had Karma you prob. had Mrs. Rodgerson as well, grade seven science.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2006, 6:42 pm 
True Islander

grade 7 homeroom actually, i was going to name her, but the other two jumped out more. she does however deserv honourable mention times 10!
havent seen carma in like 15 or 20 years, but i never forgot her!ever have leon bourrad?

Post subject: teachers
PostPosted: February 10th, 2007, 10:50 pm 

Rob your an Ass H - - -

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2011, 1:37 pm 
Almost an Islander

RedRock wrote:

We would have went to school together then :)
Thane was GREAT!! And there was a Jeff to, just as good as Thane but I forget his last name .. Fun times !!

Profile E-mail