* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Moving
PostPosted: August 8th, 2006, 9:26 pm 
Newly Created Account

It's me again. We found a house on MLS which we are interested in but have no idea about the area it is located in (my husband will fly to PEI when we sell our place to purchase a house but he will only be there for the weekend so there isn't a lot of time to look around and explore areas we would like). So what is the western part of the island like? The house is located in Greenmount which I understand is close to Tignish which also has a french immersion program (my 7 year old goes to french school here so that is a consideration). Would this be a good place to raise a family? Does it get internet access (highspeed?) and perhaps the ultimate stupid question but I have to ask it....do people on PEI move in the winter months? I don't ask this question to be silly, we are really new to this whole snow thing although we are also extremely excited about it (the kids definately perked up at the mention of snow)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2006, 9:29 pm 

where are you comming from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2006, 9:30 pm 
Newly Created Account

Sorry, we are moving from a small town outside of Vancouver, B.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2006, 9:42 pm 

ok..i remember someone from Van talking about moving here.

i thought we talked you guys out of it? :D

Tignish is up the other end of the Island from me. I haven't been up there in 6 or more years? I think it is still there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2006, 10:46 pm 
True Islander

I've never been to Tignish.... have never heard anything good aboiut the place... for your sake, I hope what I heard was wrong....

And no, we don't move in the winter... we hibernate.. *L*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2006, 10:49 pm 
Almost an Islander

Do you like to drink? Excessivly? They like to drink alot there.....but then again sooo does N.Rustico....lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2006, 11:00 pm 

one problem we had when moving to the Island was the treatment my kid got on the schoolbus by others. Not knowing anyone, or being new can leave oneself wide open for harrassment. Not all kids are bullies.. just the losers. But they can make life miserable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2006, 11:03 pm 
True Islander

It's about two hours west of Charlottetown and about an hour west of Summerside.

It's known to be a blue collar type of town, the entire area is pretty much just farming and fishing. The town tends to have a bad reputation for fights and violence. I remember about a year ago some tourists parked their RV there for the night and some local people tried to scare them away. Everyone isn't like that but it seems to be the majority.

Rural areas, anywhere, tend to be hard to blend in if your from a drastically different culture. It's hard to say if you'll like it or not but if you like rural, country living it may suit you.

I'm not sure about high speed, the (only) local cable company may not have service in such a rural area yet. Same goes for the telephone company, DSL would be less likely than high speed Internet via cable. There are a couple of new companies with wireless service but I'm not sure what there situation is or where they have service, probably not as far as Tignish.

Snow? Ugh, we've had a pretty good couple of winters the past few years meaning almost no snow at all! We'll probably get ten feet of it this year though. :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2006, 11:08 pm 

Snow can come the second week of November and stay till June. In between that time..it piles up. Roads look like bob-sled runs
with side-walls of snow you can't see over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2006, 2:16 am 
True Islander

Chawles wrote:
one problem we had when moving to the Island was the treatment my kid got on the schoolbus by others. Not knowing anyone, or being new can leave oneself wide open for harrassment. Not all kids are bullies.. just the losers. But they can make life miserable.

Yeah.. I had that problem when we first moved here too... I was 11... and I wanted to go back to NS.. but no one would let me... the novelty of making fun of and shunning me wore off eventually, and I made friends... friends that I still have 17 years later...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2006, 9:02 am 

dhughes wrote:
It's known to be a blue collar type of town, the entire area is pretty much just farming and fishing. The town tends to have a bad reputation for fights and violence. I remember about a year ago some tourists parked their RV there for the night and some local people tried to scare them away. Everyone isn't like that but it seems to be the majority.

I heard of the exact same thing happening in Souris too. But yeah Tignish has a pretty bad rep for hooligans. But really, I have not had any first hand experience.

www.route2.pe.ca has the western half of the island covered with wireless highspeed... cable depends on the road/street.

Last winter there was hardly any snow and traveling wasn't bad; some times it can be bad tho, definitely recommend getting studded winter tires if you are not used to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2006, 10:44 am 

Yup, anything west of Summerside tends to be hillbilly country. Witness the wedding/engagement announcements in the paper. eg: "Jean Guy Arsenault and Marie Arsenault are pleased to announce thier upcoming wedding at the parish hall in September, also in the picture are their two children.

Sure, some apparently excellent real estate deals around, you can buy a place up west for what you pay in yearly property taxes in Toronto/Ottawa/Vancouver... Just be prepared for the baggage that comes with it. Oh, and by the way, you'll never sell it if need be, unless you can convince another CFA'er to buy it.

Damn, I wish I had a buck for every tourist who bought a property here based on a two week visit, moved the family here, THEN six months into their adventure, it was "gee, my wife can't get (not find) a job cause the locals don't think she needs one, my kids are miserable 'cause 'well they just don't fit in' terrified of the bus..".

Before I get the hate mail, I have lived the life. Parents park you at the side of the highway, you wait for the bus, you get on, total silence, no place to sit, despite the thing being half full, "gee where were all those rosy cheeked friendly Islanders we met last summer?" they were welcoming us with open arms 'along with dad's open cheque book?' Try and join their community now, heh, right...

Calico,,,, ever been to the old Summerside High School as a transfer in?? Sorry, my parents were not related so I didn't make the hockey team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2006, 8:33 pm 
Almost an Islander

If you have children, I would say, don't move far from Charlottetown. With no public transportation outside of the capital city - it can be hard to make friends. Houses are spread all over the Island - no real comunities. That's what struck us most when we moved here. Our closest neighbours are about 50 - 100 m up and down the road. After 15 years, I've never met them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 10:29 am 

is it just me or is there an awful lot of negativity in this thread? :?

is there anyone on the board who actually LIVES in tignish (or near enough) who can *really* speak to what the community is like? (and not just *some* of it's residents---anywhere and everywhere you go, there will be some people who cause trouble.)

Quote:
If you have children, I would say, don't move far from Charlottetown. With no public transportation outside of the capital city - it can be hard to make friends.

on the other hand, there are plenty of island families living out of town, raising happy, healthy children who have friends. i know quite a lot of them and plan to be one of them when we're financially able to buy a house and get out of town {town for me is summerside}.

Quote:
one problem we had when moving to the Island was the treatment my kid got on the schoolbus by others

there are bullies in every school--this isn't unique to the island. it's unfortunate, but there are. and yes, sometimes new kids can be targeted--again, that's the case in any school. if you prepare your kids for the move and communicate openly about any potential problems (like this) and how to handle them, it makes things easier for your child --- if they *are* faced with a bully, they'll have a much easier time dealing with the situation if you've talked about it and given them ways to handle it. (of course, if it progresses beyond their ability to handle, that's when adults step in.)

we hardly got any snow last year--that sucked. :lol: (i love winter)

yep, kanga, people move in the winter -- just about every time i've moved it's been snowing and blowing around. back your truck as close to the door as you can get and wear a hat. :P

calico -- "hillbilly country" ? way to insult an entire community and it's residents. :? beyond that, you sound bitter. hey, i've been the new kid as well--a LOT..i'm a former military brat and a kid who landed in the foster care system. i know it can suck, had some miserable experiences myself....but everyone's experiences are different, and when a child has supportive adults in their corner, the balance shifts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 12:04 pm 
Newly Created Account

I think we are kind of unique in that the community we are leaving is very rural (son takes an hour and a half bus ride to school every morning and afternoon) and although one little friend lives down the street most I have to drive my kids to have playdates with. I think our family enjoys the rural life although I grew up in Vancouver so I know the benefits of city life too. My kids are very young. The oldest will be going into grade 2 this year and the other two are not school age. Of course changing schools and moving is a tramatic experience and one that must be taken very seriously when dealing with children, it will not be easy for the kids but they feel free to talk to us about everything and anything so as long as I keep the lines of communication open I think we will be just fine. All three of my kids are outgoing and make friends easily (my son even made a friend in a line at Disneyland and we ended up spending the day and going on numerous rides with the other family, swapping kids etc.)

And what is this about winters without snow!! That's no good at all! and I'm glad people move in the winter...

Thanks for all the feedback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 12:33 pm 

Ginneke wrote:
If you have children, I would say, don't move far from Charlottetown. With no public transportation outside of the capital city - it can be hard to make friends. Houses are spread all over the Island - no real comunities. That's what struck us most when we moved here. Our closest neighbours are about 50 - 100 m up and down the road. After 15 years, I've never met them.

Man you had bad luck in where you ended up. I thought I was recluse, but I haven't been in my community for 3 years yet and I have met most of my neighbours (closest is maybe 1/2 km). They threw a baby shower for my son, they hold ice cream socials and are out walking once in a while. I thought the coolest thing was having two horse pull into my driveway one sunday morning. With the right attitude you'll have no problem, CNDKanga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 2:16 pm 

Quote:
one problem we had when moving to the Island was the treatment my kid got on the schoolbus by others

From Mutt [color=darkblue]there are bullies in every school--this isn't unique to the island. it's unfortunate, but there are. and yes, sometimes new kids can be targeted--again, that's the case in any school. if you prepare your kids for the move and communicate openly about any potential problems (like this) and how to handle them, it makes things easier for your child --- if they *are* faced with a bully, they'll have a much easier time dealing with the situation if you've talked about it and given them ways to handle it. (of course, if it progresses beyond their ability to handle, that's when adults step in.)

My comment was a heads up to a common problem that they may not be aware of...nasty bully kids on our school buses. My kid never told me about what was going on. At grade 10 level they are too big to be called kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2006, 5:20 pm 

Our family's from upwest-- not quite THAT far though(Alberton and Rosebank)-- one minor thing I would point out to you is watch any property you buy there regarding proximity to potato fields(not that there's a shortage of those anywhere on the Island) but the chemicals and the flying red dust when it's dry can drive ya nutty up there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2006, 9:25 pm 
True Islander

mutt wrote:
is it just me or is there an awful lot of negativity in this thread? :?

is there anyone on the board who actually LIVES in tignish (or near enough) who can *really* speak to what the community is like? (and not just *some* of it's residents---anywhere and everywhere you go, there will be some people who cause trouble.)

Quote:
If you have children, I would say, don't move far from Charlottetown. With no public transportation outside of the capital city - it can be hard to make friends.

on the other hand, there are plenty of island families living out of town, raising happy, healthy children who have friends. i know quite a lot of them and plan to be one of them when we're financially able to buy a house and get out of town {town for me is summerside}.

Quote:

there are bullies in every school--this isn't unique to the island. it's unfortunate, but there are. and yes, sometimes new kids can be targeted--again, that's the case in any school. if you prepare your kids for the move and communicate openly about any potential problems (like this) and how to handle them, it makes things easier for your child --- if they *are* faced with a bully, they'll have a much easier time dealing with the situation if you've talked about it and given them ways to handle it. (of course, if it progresses beyond their ability to handle, that's when adults step in.)

we hardly got any snow last year--that sucked. :lol: (i love winter)

yep, kanga, people move in the winter -- just about every time i've moved it's been snowing and blowing around. back your truck as close to the door as you can get and wear a hat. :P

calico -- "hillbilly country" ? way to insult an entire community and it's residents. :? beyond that, you sound bitter. hey, i've been the new kid as well--a LOT..i'm a former military brat and a kid who landed in the foster care system. i know it can suck, had some miserable experiences myself....but everyone's experiences are different, and when a child has supportive adults in their corner, the balance shifts.

WOW

New POTY

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail