Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Terrified of PEI
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 4:24 am 
Newly Created Account

This might sound horrible, but I’m actually terrified of moving to Charlottetown. See, I live in Toronto right now, and I’m moving in October to pursue work. I have a great job and all, but I still can’t find a place to live, I have no idea what to do for fun and I’m scared that I’ll turn into a hermit. I’m nuts for the city life, the neon lights, fast cars, crazy clubs and funky boutiques, but all I’ve ever heard about PEI is the exact opposite. Please, dissuade me from thinking that I’m signing myself over to suburban doldrums! Tell me that there are fun clubs and concerts, or cool stores or a place where a girl can get some good falafel!

Also, every time I speak to a real estate agent or a property manager, they all seem to be so nice, until I mention I’m in Toronto right now. Then they all go so frosty! Do Islanders really hate people from Toronto? Should I keep that tidbit of information to myself?

Sorry for the stupid freak out, but it’s 4:30 in the morning where I am and I can’t sleep because my mind is consumed with this stupid little fears.

If you’ve read this, thanks… I just need a place to voice my fears

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 6:52 am 
Islanders don't hate Toronto.
Many Islanders resent the attitude that everything is better in Toronto.

The Island is what you make of it. You can sit around and do nothing or you can go out looking for entertainment. I find there is always something to do.
Of course with a population of 140000 you are not going to find the same variety as TO but you will adjust.
And yes, you will have no problem finding good falafel.

Last edited by hhost.ca on August 1st, 2006, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 6:53 am 

This is not Toronto

You can drive from one end of charlottetown to the other end in 10 minutes.. are you sure you won't get bored?

I believe the tallest building in PEI has 5 floors. you will see lots of sky.

There are no dazzling city lights to mesmerize you.

Last edited by Chawles on August 1st, 2006, 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 7:22 am 

There is none of the "city life" in all of Atlantic Canada. Keep an open mind and you may enjoy yourself here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 7:25 am 
True Islander

My family and I moved here from Brampton, Ontario in 1990.

16 years later, I still don't miss it.

Good luck with your move! Drop me a line when you get here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 7:33 am 
True Islander

Chawles wrote:
This is not Toronto

You can drive from one end of charlottetown to the other end in 10 minutes.. are you sure you won't get bored?

I believe the tallest building in PEI has 5 floors. you will see lots of sky.

There are no dazzling city lights to mesmerize you.

The delta has 10, the dominion building 6 or 7, BDC Place has 6....

There are lights enough in Charlottetown to keep this downtown resident from getting a good night's sleep!

And to the OP, falafel will not be a problem! There are some nice shops and clubs and what not, but after a month or two you will have seen them all and will have to get used to waiting for new stores to open to see anything new.

I know lots of great people from TO, just accept PEI for what it is, don't go around telling everyone you meet how great things were in TO all the time, as in "Well, back in Toronto, we used to..." or "Oh, that's not as good as back in Toronto..." and you should be fine!

Plus PEI has great summers where you are never more than 10 minutes from a beach, strawberry field or golfcourse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 7:38 am 

newworldslacker83, you say your nuts for all city life, wow you must love the fast bullets that are shot by during daylight, and the sex offenders, gangs, and the thick pollution, all the panhandlers that won't leave you alone, all the litter along the streets, hundreds of homeless people that are laying infront of you while you walk on the streets and yes I am taking about Toronto... Yes you must be terrified to come to a place that is what life should be lived, thats PEI!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 7:46 am 

we do have our moments though :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 8:10 am 
crazytim wrote:
newworldslacker83, you say your nuts for all city life, wow you must love the fast bullets that are shot by during daylight, and the sex offenders, gangs, and the thick pollution, all the panhandlers that won't leave you alone, all the litter along the streets, hundreds of homeless people that are laying infront of you while you walk on the streets and yes I am taking about Toronto... Yes you must be terrified to come to a place that is what life should be lived, thats PEI!!

Strange. I've lived in Toronto and visit there twice a year.
Never say a flying bullet.
I ignore the panhandlers and they don't harass me.
Never ran into any gang issues, even though they exist.
Never was sexually offended.
Didn't see any litter you wouldn't see in Charlottetown.

Believe it or not, there is litter and crime and yes, even panhandlers right here in PEI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 8:16 am 

Strange. I've lived in Toronto and visit there twice a year.
Never say a flying bullet.
I ignore the panhandlers and they don't harass me.
Never ran into any gang issues, even though they exist.
Never was sexually offended.
Didn't see any litter you wouldn't see in Charlottetown.

Consider yourself lucky hhost.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 8:23 am 
True Islander

I agree on the not bragging about toronto all the time. That is what will ruin your stay here more than anything else. Not a great way to make friends when your slamming their home and bragging up your own. Islanders tend to be defensive that way.

You will be fine....... Just take it day by day, same as anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 8:51 am 
crazytim wrote:

Consider yourself lucky hhost.ca

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, it's just in a city of 3million people the statistics in crime are not as bad as they seem at face value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 9:34 am 
Almost an Islander

This is one islander who has no problem saying he hates Toronto

not the people who have the misfortune of coming from there... just everything about the city as a whole

and I know PEI is far far far from perfect .. we have many flaws as well

but you simply could not pay me enough money to even consider a move to the T-Dot

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 10:48 am 
Newly Created Account

Thanks for the advice, I kind of figured it would be stupid to be talking about living here versus there constantly, and it's definately *not* a way to make friends.

As far as the gangs and violence... yeah we have our problems here, there's no doubt about that, but you can choose to look at the brighter side. I mean, as awful as it sounds I used to really look down on the homeless, but one day I hung out with some punks on the corner and they were quite funny, I ended up be-friending some street artists, too. Or, in terms of gang violence; you could see it as scary and dangerous, but most of the people I know who are in gangs (and of my total acquiantance, that would be about 5) simply have the best hook-ups for some pretty interesting hybrid marijuana. Its turne into a very steady, reliable stream of supply to some of the lesser known strains like Grape Crush and White Elephant.

Can anyone let me know some of the cool places to hang out for someone who is 23? Also, for the women or gay men out there: What are the men like? Have you got any punk or mod clubs, like a "This is London"? Also, for business purposes, what are the gaming communities like out there? Any avid pot smokers? What's the best comic book shop in town? And finally: Where is the good falafel, and addendum, is the shop run by Arabs? (thats not a racist thing to say, I myself am half Arab and half Persian, I just want to know whether the food is authentic)

Thank you guys for replying. It's really helping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 11:14 am 
True Islander

What kind of job were you looking for ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 12:15 pm 

Obvious troll and button pusher, don't humour him/it.

Until he wants to to ride his camel east I'll have the mrs. keep the used tea towels so he'll have something to wear on his head when he gets here.

Calico, I've pushed too many buttons and pulled too many chains not to see one of my own... amature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 12:27 pm 
True Islander

newworldslacker83 wrote:
Can anyone let me know some of the cool places to hang out for someone who is 23? Also, for the women or gay men out there: What are the men like? Have you got any punk or mod clubs, like a "This is London"? Also, for business purposes, what are the gaming communities like out there? Any avid pot smokers? What's the best comic book shop in town? And finally: Where is the good falafel, and addendum, is the shop run by Arabs? (thats not a racist thing to say, I myself am half Arab and half Persian, I just want to know whether the food is authentic)

The best bar to hang out at would be Hunters Ale House in my opinion. It's not full of 19 year olds, and it features a lot of great rock bands. Not a totally mainstream crowd that makes up their clientele like other bars in town. Peakes Quay or The Yacht Club can be fun as well, if you like your typical cover bands and dancing.

As for the men, we are great! I'll leave that one for the ladies.

As for punk clubs, I wish. No punk clubs here I'm afraid. A number of all ages shows happen though at various places. Here's a link where you can find out about upcoming punk shows:
http://forums.alchemymusic.net/viewforu ... 81f96ceeb6

But we get some good bands through here, and through the maritimes. Moneen and Boys Night Out will be here in October. There is a big show on August 19 with some bands from here and Nova Scotia (including mine, ha!). There are some big shows happening this summer too. NOFX and Against Me are headlining in Dartmouth Nova Scotia. And in September, the Dropkick Murphys and Comeback Kid are playing in Halifax, NS and Moncton, NB. But like I said, there is no bars geared towards punks or mods.

As for gaming communities, I'm not sure what you mean. Like videogames, or poker and the like? There are lots of hold 'em tournaments held at bars. And we have this pathetic thing called a racino that has some slot machines.

As for pot smokers, you shouldn't have any trouble in that dept. A friend of mine said he had some buddies come from Calgary the other week, and within one day they had found somewhere to get pot. So I don't think that would be an issue.

For comic books the place to go is comic hunter. It's been around for years. Haven't been in there myself, but I think it must be pretty good.

And for falafels there is a big lebanese community on PEI, so yes, Arabs do run the stores. Places like Cedar's eatery come to mind, but there are also lots of others. I'm not big into them though, so I'm not the guy to ask about that. But yeah, the food would be authentic.

Charlottetown is a good little city. I think we have everything you need here to enjoy it. It's obviously not as busy as Toronto, but we do pretty good here. Hope you like it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 12:30 pm 

Calico Cat wrote:

Until he wants to to ride his camel east I'll have the mrs. keep the used tea towels so he'll have something to wear on his head when he gets here.

Calico, I've pushed too many buttons and pulled too many chains not to see one of my own... amature.

Ummm... how is this acceptable in any F'ing way? Shut up and piss off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 12:34 pm 
True Islander

Gonzo wrote:
Calico Cat wrote:

Ummm... how is this acceptable in any F'ing way? Shut up and piss off.

Yeah, I never really read that. Thanks for showing the racist side of PEI Calico Cat.

I would hope a moderator here says something about this, as I find this more offensive then the f word. It's one thing to call someone an idiot or something, but this is absurd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 12:46 pm 
Site Adjudicator

Yes, it is offensive.

And surprising coming from Calico Cat who can usually get his point across in better ways.

I debated just deleting Calico Cat's post, but have decided to leave it because that may be a bigger slap on the wrist than removing his embarrassment.

Gonzo, while I share your disgust, intemperate responses don't help matters any.

Thank you.

Profile E-mail