* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Moving to PEI
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 10:21 am 
Newly Created Account

My family consists of my husband, myself and three children (6, 4 and 2). We are planning to move from a small town on the coast of B.C. to PEI this winter as my husband would like to earn a living working on his passion and dream (a website he created that is doing fairly well) and I'm hoping you can answer some questions for me.

1) We don't want to be in the larger urban areas as we are used to "small town" living and we enjoy it....what areas of PEI would be good with small children?

2) I understand Kindergarten is not like on the westcoast (part of the elementary school and almost all children attend kindergarten)...is it more of a preschool set up? Do most kids just start grade 1 full time?

3) Any other tips you could give us would be very welcome!

Post subject: Re: Moving to PEI
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 10:40 am 
True Islander

CNDKanga wrote:
My family consists of my husband, myself and three children (6, 4 and 2). We are planning to move from a small town on the coast of B.C. to PEI this winter as my husband would like to earn a living working on his passion and dream (a website he created that is doing fairly well) and I'm hoping you can answer some questions for me.

1) We don't want to be in the larger urban areas as we are used to "small town" living and we enjoy it....what areas of PEI would be good with small children?

Larger urban areas? Ch'town has a population of 60,000? If thats too big, try Stratford or Cornwall (which is towns on the outside of Charlottetown with populations less then 10,000).

Post subject: Re: Moving to PEI
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 10:48 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

jmweb wrote:
CNDKanga wrote:

Larger urban areas? Ch'town has a population of 60,000? If thats too big, try Stratford or Cornwall (which is towns on the outside of Charlottetown with populations less then 10,000).

Greater Charlottetown (which includes Stratford and Cornwall) has a population of about 58,300 according to the 2001 census. Charlottetown proper has about 32,200 according to same census.

Our second largest "city", Summerside, has a population of just under 15,000.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 10:50 am 
Newly Created Account

Our "small town" is 3,000 people! And in the last few years there has been a huge increase in the population. We were hoping for perhaps an acre or two, I guess one of my main questions is: which part of the island seems to attract more families with young children?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 11:15 am 
True Islander

hmm bc to pei in mid winter.. that be a climate shock for sure.. as for kindergardens in souris where i live it is in the elementary school.. pei hasn't made it part of the school curiculum yet.. wich i think is stupid on there part.. kids in many other parts of the world start some sort of a program at 4 or so..

and charllotown is really like a big town.. with most of the amenities of a city.
I am not a fan of summerside as it has nothing there i think. housing prices are not that bad around the island so i am sure you can find something to suit you in an area you want to be.. best thing about pei is it is one big beach practically.. you can drive 10-20 mins in almost any direction and find a beach :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 11:52 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

TTBoy wrote:
I am not a fan of summerside as it has nothing there

Except five times the civic pride and spirit that the citizens there have compared to us Charlottetonians :wink:

I'm not really sure how you can say that Summerside has nothing ... except for a couple of chain stores (Sears, Home Depot, Future Shop) and a fast food outlet or two (A&W, Mike's), Summerside can offer just about anything that Charlottetown can for its residents.

Anyway, sounds like Kanga might be interested in towns the size of Kensington or Montague, not Charlottetown or Summerside.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 12:04 pm 
True Islander

Kreskin wrote:
TTBoy wrote:
I am not a fan of summerside as it has nothing there

Except five times the civic pride and spirit that the citizens there have compared to us Charlottetonians :wink:

I'm not really sure how you can say that Summerside has nothing ... except for a couple of chain stores (Sears, Home Depot, Future Shop) and a fast food outlet or two (A&W, Mike's), Summerside can offer just about anything that Charlottetown can for its residents.

I'll have to agree with TTBoy on this one. Summerside tries to offer smaller versions of everything Charlottetown has, but it doesn't always work. I've heard some negative reviews about the new pool and gym in Summerside. And if your looking to go out for dinner, then I hope you enjoy pub food, cause that's about all you can get!

I lived in Summerside for almost 2 years, but I was very glad to get back to Charlottetown. Summerside is nice if you like things a bit quieter and more laid back. But I like to be able to walk downtown and see other people, or just walk through a nice park (victoria park, or the squares in Ch'town), or have a few drinks on the sidewalk (victoria row), or see an indepedent movie (city cinema), or all kinds of other things that you can do in Charlottetown, but not Summerside. I'm not saying Summerside is bad or anything, just not where I want to live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 12:20 pm 

Summerside=Charlottetown Lite...5 times the pride, in what? that generic plasticky commercial strip, the new hospital/transfer-to-Charlottetown station)...pride is fine, if there's something behind it....my friends and relatives come for the summer, tour the whole province and the reaction S'Side generates is usually "...where's the rest, is that or, did they plan it this way?"....

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 12:25 pm 
True Islander

Quote:
hmm bc to pei in mid winter.. that be a climate shock for sure

it always amazes me that people think BC has no winters. It is like they have no idea on the size of the province. The lack of a winter is confined to a very small area of southern Van Island and the southern part of the mainland. Even the Okanagan and desert areas have a winter there.

Anyway - what town in BC are you from? Once I know that I might be able to offer you a bit better advice on like communities here.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 12:37 pm 
Newly Created Account

We are from the Sunshine Coast (just outside Vancouver but we have to take a ferry to get to there so it makes us very remote although we get really, really busy in the summer months with all the tourists) And yes, the climate change is going to shock us...I am certain about that! We may get a dusting of snow in the winter and I really do mean just a dusting and that is enough to make most of us stuck at home because heaven forbid we should drive in snow! Maybe I should add that my oldest (the only one in school yet) has had all his education in french. I'm hoping to continue with french education (right now he has to bus to school which means he leaves at 7:45am and gets home at 4:30pm so we are used to long commutes). We are so excited about the move. Right now my husband commutes to Vancouver everyday on the ferry and we hardly see him at all...the prospect of "dad" working at home is simply amazing and we are all looking forward to it. As well, we are exited about living in PEI, it looks beautiful and I'm looking forward to being part of a close knit community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 12:43 pm 
True Islander

Ah the Sunshine Coast - so you are n the sun belt anyway. The winter I was there there was a lot of snow - but that was back in 88/89.

My knowledge then might not be much help to you. Back in 88/89 it was still a fairly natural area - with its own style of people. I loved the ferry ride.

However - I think I would recommend eastern PEI to you - anything in East Kings or South Kings - which would give you a bit of head start on spring - and the sea views you are used to.

French Immersion is pretty much available across the Island these days - but if you go rural then you can still expect your little one to be taking long bus rides. In C-town it is a bit easier to get itno french immersion courses on most of the schools. The one dedicated french school requires that french be the primary language at home prior to allowing kids to enroll.

Phil

We will remember them".

Last edited by philipw on July 18th, 2006, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 1:15 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

y2imm wrote:
5 times the pride, in what?

I've lived in both places ... long enough in each to have gotten the flavour of both places.

Yes, if all you want out of life is shopping and dining out and a night life, then Charlottetown is a better choice (and Moncton would be a better choice than Charlottetown and Halifax would be a better choice than Moncton and on and on).

If you want a nice place to raise your family, while both cities are better than most, I would have to give the edge to Summerside. Charlottetown doesn't offer any more in terms of recreational and sporting programs for children than Summerside does. Plus Summerside has Generation XX.

Nice segue into the spirit and pride topic ... Generation XX, a youth club that owes its existance to the spirit of people in the community to provide the sweat equity to make something like this possible.

While we in Charlottetown are still waiting for "someone else" to organize national and world class events, Summerside citizens took the bull by the horns and hosted three world baseball/softball championships. Summerside had hosted two national Junior A hockey championships by the time Charlottetown got around to doing it ... and while Summerside was filling its 1800 capacity rink to overflowing throughout both tournaments, the teams at the tourney in Charlottetown were lucky to fill a third of the Civic Centre.

So yeah, if your priority is yourself, Charlottetown gets the nod. If your priority is your family, I think Summerside gets the edge. And if you are the type of person who believes in the spirit of community involvement (and hopes to pass that along to your children), then there is no contest ... Summerside hands down.

All that said, I still like Charlottetown ... maybe because my kids are all grown up and raising their own families and getting involved in their communities like they learned to do while growing up in Summerside, and it is more a "me" time of life for me now :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 1:17 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

philipw wrote:
I loved the fairy ride.

:shock:

You rode fairies?

What else about your past life are you not telling us, Phil? :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 1:19 pm 
True Islander

Kreskin wrote:
philipw wrote:
I loved the fairy ride.

:shock:

You rode fairies?

What else about your past life are you not telling us, Phil? :wink:

*LOL*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 1:20 pm 
True Islander

:{O

Ha ha - missed that when I read it the second time. Fixed now.

Phil

We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 1:34 pm 

Thanks Kreskin for a fair comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 1:40 pm 
True Islander

hmm souris is nice spot... lol and we could use the added people lol.. there is a french school, beautiful beaches, ski lodge, lots of dirt roads to bike on in the summer, the rails to trails.. hmm funny when you live somewhere it is hard to think of the stuff in your area

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 1:52 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

I live approx. 5 mins on the outskirts of Montague (eastern PEI), and only 20 mins from Charlottetown (sorry I never got into the km thing - just know how long it takes to drive :wink: ). I love where we are - somewhat in the country - but still very close to everything. Loved raising kids in the country.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 1:53 pm 

y2imm wrote:
Summerside=Charlottetown Lite...5 times the pride, in what? that generic plasticky commercial strip, the new hospital/transfer-to-Charlottetown station)...pride is fine, if there's something behind it....my friends and relatives come for the summer, tour the whole province and the reaction S'Side generates is usually "...where's the rest, is that or, did they plan it this way?"....

Yes, they likely did,,,Much better planning than Ch'town...

Consider yourself a first time visitor for a moment (I hate the word tourist), you drive down Charlottetown's main thoroughfare in to the city, University Avenue,,, dodging telephone polls with wierd parking and tumble down business's (Globe and Mail comment from some years ago, mine and theirs to this day) odd lane changes... and so on. Hopefully its not during the month of road side debris pick up, used toilets all that refuse...

Drive south on Summerside's Granville Street using it as the entrance to our town, ,, or even Water Street east,,during the same month,, first impressions and all that...good.

If I, being some deep pocketed western/central Canadian (who we live off like leeches by the way),,, spend my money on a small town's pretty appearence, where "I can park and really enjoy the ambiance". Not some wannabe "city" trying to compete with a suburb...

As for the amenities of Charlottetown?.. Confederation Theater, A&W & Harvey's,,,, you got me on that one. Of course even if I lived in Winsloe or Stratford I would only see one or two local biggie shows of interest a year anyway, Canada Rocks (and maybe Sketch 22 (Hi RoB) if the mood hits for the low brow).

Would I frequent Victoria Row on a nightly/daily basis?.., not likely, even if I lived downtown...if I worked downtown 'maybe' but I'm beyond that now, ie.. "lets spend twenty dollars 'doing' lunch, been there done it elsewhere,, juvenile...

Yes, look down your nose at Summerside.,, Just stop trying to be the Byward Market in Ottawa, Crescent Street in Montreal and so on, and on, or darn, even Hollis St in Halifax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2006, 2:55 pm 
Almost an Islander

Wow, Calico, you seem to be a generally surly person... It's too bad this nice lady got on this forum to get some advice as to where she and her young family could move, and she gets YOU lashing out at everyone....

Back on topic:

My sister and her husband have two wonderful well-rounded children, ages 8 and 4, and they LOVE living in Cornwall, PEI. Great sports programs, if your kids are into that, wonderful schools, and a general feeling of togetherness she shares with her neighbours.

I'm not sure of the population, but Cornwall is very sprawling, you never feel crowded, if you pick a property there. Charlottetown is a short drive away, should you need to go to town for anything, but Cornwall's got a grocery store (where my sister works), a pizza place, a Tim's, etc.

It certainly seems like a lot of young families are moving into Cornwall.