Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: PEI's Beer Blog - P's and Q's
PostPosted: September 5th, 2010, 8:07 pm 
Almost an Islander

I guess this can go here, since I will be posting reviews of beer as well as pubs.

As the "PEI Beer Guy", I have started "P's and Q's". It's the exploration for, and reviews of, beer by an Islander (who therefore has less selection than much of the world). I want to popularize and push new-to-Islander craft beers, and become a resource for learning about such brews and beer in general.

Feel free to check it out & post any comments / suggestions.

http://peibeerguy.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Steverino

Post subject: Re: PEI's Beer Blog - P's and Q's
PostPosted: September 6th, 2010, 9:58 am 

I find this very interesting and I hope it continues.

I also enjoy craft beer and make it a point when I travel to seek out the local brew.

I've tried a couple of times to get involved in a "Beer of the Month" club but we just can't seem to make a go of it in Canada.

The downside to your blog is that there may very well be a few beers that you review that I won't be able to get so it may end up being more of a tease :lol:

PostPosted: September 6th, 2010, 4:01 pm 
Almost an Islander

Availability is on my mind, too.
I'll try to bring out some reviews of new or relatively new-to-PEI beers in the next few (Orval, St. Ambroise, etc). I probably won't have original pictures, as I only recently started doing that, but at least I have my tasting records for a lot of them.

Except for a few, most beers I review will be available at liquor stores in NB, PEI, or NS, or a specialty store like Halifax's great Premier Wine and Spirits.

I also plan to go out and sample all of Gahan's beers again sometime, as well as the Pilot House's two. Heck, maybe they'll ask me to do it for them! :wink:

Thanks for the interest!

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 7:05 pm 
Almost an Islander

alandla, I just posted a review of Orval, which is available here. Check it out!

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 9:21 pm 

Thanks for that. I hadn't heard that there was anything new at the PEILCC and will definitely be picking up a few this week end.

A friend of my who is from Holland brought me back a few Rochefort Trappists Ales a few years ago and they were great.

Keep up the good work!!

PostPosted: September 27th, 2010, 7:47 pm 
Almost an Islander

Another now-available-on-PEI beer reviewed for you, Kronenbourg 1664.

http://peibeerguy.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: September 27th, 2010, 8:03 pm 

I had tried this in Moncton. I'm afraid that the only lager that I can drink is Stella, On Tap or even in a can but not in a bottle (not sure why the bottle tastes worse than the can but I notice it).

I like a dark ale, particularly a Dark Porter.

I tried to comment on your blog but I can't seem to leave a comment without a user name.

It is an enjoyable read (suddenly I'm getting thirsty).

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 1:29 am 

I'm so glad you posted the link to your blog, I really enjoy reading it and now I have goals in my future beer life. Have you had a chance to review the MacAuslan beers or Blanche de Chambly?

Oh, and it's nice to know that I am not the only one who likes Stella better on tap. I find the bottle not as crisp, almost bitter, and if I'm super lucky, skunk-y (which I believe happens when lighter bottles are exposed to light).

There's nothing like a huge pint of ice cold Stella from Churchill Arms with a plate of curry....mmmmmmmmm!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 6:39 am 
Almost an Islander

Alandla, there's a few good darks reviewed on the site already, and, boy, do I have some doozies in the basement! :wink:
I'll check the blog settings with regards to comments...

Freelantz, I have had several of the McAuslans, as well as the Blanche de Chambly, but not for a while. Stella doesn't really do it for me... not bad, but not too exciting. S'good, though... it's good. It's been a few years since I had the Blanche de Chambly... I don't think I liked it much when I did, but would like to retry it now that my palate is much more... experienced!

In short, for the McAuslans... the St. A pale ale is good, the Griffons are decent/average, and the St. A oatmeal stout and Apricot Wheat Ale are a couple of my favourite beers - both really good, in my opinion.

Also, good call on the curry! Curry fries... mmm...

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 7:54 am 

Steverino wrote:
Alandla, there's a few good darks reviewed on the site already, and, boy, do I have some doozies in the basement! :wink:
I'll check the blog settings with regards to comments...

Freelantz, I have had several of the McAuslans, as well as the Blanche de Chambly, but not for a while. Stella doesn't really do it for me... not bad, but not too exciting. S'good, though... it's good. It's been a few years since I had the Blanche de Chambly... I don't think I liked it much when I did, but would like to retry it now that my palate is much more... experienced!

In short, for the McAuslans... the St. A pale ale is good, the Griffons are decent/average, and the St. A oatmeal stout and Apricot Wheat Ale are a couple of my favourite beers - both really good, in my opinion.

Also, good call on the curry! Curry fries... mmm...

After reading the article on the Rogue Mocha Porter, I would have given my house to the first person who could bring me one :lol:

A friend was in Kalamazoo, Michigan on business a few years back and brought me a Java Stout from Bell's Brewery. That was a very good beer. Strong stout with a touch of coffee flavor but not overwhelming.

As I mentioned, I like stronger ales like Porters & Stouts but on a hot summer day (or with a nice curry) Stella and/or a nice wheat beer like Hoegaarden or even Rickards White really hit the spot.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 9:09 am 
Almost an Islander

I don't "know' much about beer other than what I enjoy and what I don't enjoy. I do enjoy the blog though! Good work.

J

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 7:37 pm 
Almost an Islander

Thanks!
I toyed, before I actually started it, with making the blog a really basic rating format. Each entry would just be a picture, and a rating of "Good" or "Bad". I sometimes still think about rating them on a scale like, "Bad", "Meh", "Good", "Excellent", or something like that.

I fixed the comment settings, by the way. Thanks for the tip! Now anyone can comment. Comment away!

As for the darks... I think I like the Aphrodisiaque on the site better than Rogue Mocha Porter (I have some other good dark reviews saved up, plus some more to drink in the basement... I think "Brother Thelonius" is the next dark one!)

As for the lighter ones you mentioned... I like Rickard's White more these days. It's a pretty good domestic beer of that style. I used to like the Red, but I think the quality has slipped (or maybe it's just my changing tastes).

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 8:11 pm 

I must admit, since they introduced the White and the Dark Ale with maple, I haven't gone back to Rickards Red.

I like that idea of the rating scale.

I wonder if there was a way to pick a beer of similar quality to compare it to that (ie better than, equal to, or worse than "?") but I supposes it would be very difficult to find the right beer to use as a "standard" and since many of the beers don't quite match others.....forget what I just said :lol:

PostPosted: October 5th, 2010, 8:37 pm 
Almost an Islander

If you're around Halifax right now, you may be lucky enough to find that Garrison still has a few of these left.

It's Atlantic Canada's first-ever bottled wet-hopped beer. I was lucky enough to get a couple over the weekend. Check it out if you can! (and while you're at it, get me one of Propeller's "Aplha Dogs" and a pumpkin ale if you're over there! :wink: )

PostPosted: October 10th, 2010, 10:04 pm 
Almost an Islander

Another available-on-PEI one is up!
http://peibeerguy.blogspot.com/2010/10/unibroue-blanche-de-chambly.html

The one below it may be of interest to Halifax-bound people as well.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2010, 7:11 am 
Almost an Islander

http://peibeerguy.blogspot.com/2010/10/warsteiner-premium-verum.html

Another available option for Islanders...

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 12:33 pm 

I enjoy your blog. I received a book of beers from around the world for Xmas last year and it has been my quest to try and find/drink all 350+ beers and X them off in the book as I go. I've been doing pretty good but still have a ways to go! The hardest part has been finding them as I've tapped out the local resources, the beer selection on PEI is certainly lacking.

I just picked up a new beer on PEI called "Alfa", it's the first time I've seen it in the liquor store. You should give it a try and write up a review on it. I enjoyed it personally.

As far as craft brews go I really enjoy Pump House beers, although I like them a lot more on tap in Moncton than in the bottles.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2010, 3:43 pm 
Almost an Islander

Thanks! I have an Alfa in the fridge now, too. I'll probably tackle it this weekend! There are... five others in there ahead of it, but maybe I'll bump it up. ;)

http://peibeerguy.blogspot.com/2010/10/festa-brews-west-coast-ipa-verdict.html

I opened the first of my bottled home brew last week. It's a Festa Brew "West Coast IPA", and it's pretty good stuff. Island Wine Experts on Uni Avenue has the rights to sell the Festa Brew kits on PEI. Worth a try if you're a home brewer!

PostPosted: October 30th, 2010, 1:19 pm 

Is the Alfa a pilsner or a Bock? I tend to not bother with lagers & pilsners but I suppose I should give everything a chance.

Used to enjoy home brewing but since the kids came along, I've gotten out of it. I really liked the Morgan products. I wonder if it would be worth looking into brewing on site at the local brew shops. Anybody have any experience with it (cost, ease, etc).

A friend of mine said that he tried the on site home brewing when he lived in BC but found it to be expensive.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2010, 7:09 pm 
Almost an Islander

The Alfa's a lager.
I'm kind of with you on the not bothering thing... I find them all very similar (in general), and none of them are that exciting... at least to me, relative to other beer-drinking possibilities. That being said, if I haven't tried one, and they're the only new thing going... I'll drink it. I don't expect much from it. Won't be as fun as the Halloween-appropriate Dead Guy Ale I drank yesterday! ;)