* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: SAVE THE SEALS
PostPosted: April 16th, 2007, 1:35 am 
Newly Created Account

Hello:

I would just like to let everyone know that I have a petition currently In circulation and It will be ongoing Indefinitely so as to stop the seal hunt that goes on In Canada every year, so for all those people that would like to see the Canadian seal hunt end for good and to try and stop It from happening again next year please go ahead and stop by and sign my petition.

I thank everyone who signs every signature does count and hopefully together we can end this cruelty once and for all.

Please go to this web page If you wish to support a worthy cause and pass on to everyone you know

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/yearlyhunt

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2007, 3:22 am 
True Islander

I support a cessation of the seal hunt on PEI as unnecessary and bad for the local economy, however, I would not support a ban on the cull in areas like NL.

Thats just my own personal opinion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2007, 8:51 am 
True Islander

Does this mean I now have to buy something else for my seal flipper pies?

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 21st, 2007, 10:30 pm 
From Away

Awwww, now what am I going to do with this crate of baseball bats and garbage bags?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 21st, 2007, 10:41 pm 

Oooh that's awful!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2007, 7:47 am 
True Islander

I know you mean well but it is managed alot better then say land management on pei... maybe you would could help the local watershed on pei by protesting the way pei farm land is managed... or should i say how it has managed to fill most brooks and rivers to the they can hardly support life... well unless you count the algae blooms from all the nitrogens that get into the water..

this year i say save the sealers and their boats...

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 11:23 am 

Elaine,, Ed.
Would either of you wish to explain WHY this cull should be ended?????
Calgary?? A little fact there Elaine. People rely on the hunt for food and as a source of income. Its not a hobby for those people Elaine,, unlike your petition. Get a clue lady!!!
They are a pest like coyotes around a farmyard and need to be treated as such. The population on the east Coast has exploded and is way beyond controlable numbers. 6 million seals(estimate) eating an estimated 30lbs of fish per day,, you do the math on this one. I think they could be culled by at least 70% and i'am doing my part one seal at a time.
I can't wait for your response Elaine so you can enlighten me with your expertise on the evil seal hunt.
Anyone remeber another time that someone from Central Canada tried to get s#!t started on the East Coast,,, anyone??? Remember Burnt Church??
Stay in Calgary Elaine and maybe save the homeless
Dwayne Miller
North River, PEI

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 12:00 pm 
Tourist

I too support the seal hunt each year! Apparently Elaine doesn't come from a fishing family that relies on this hunt to make money to put bread and butter on the table!!! The seals affect the fishery here year round.. they are a pain in the butt as they eat alot of other fish each and every day of the year, so if there's gonna be seals around eating.... then the other fisheries are gonna suffer which makes for very poor families trying to make a living to feed, cloth and put a roof over the families heads. I come from a fishing family and know 1st hand the hardships that these seals do to a family... there's actually families out there that has lost their fishing business do to the seals as they couldn't make enough money to pay their payments on the boat and licenses they have..... so it's sell their fleet or let the bank repo it..... not a great picture eh...

So, in closing Elaine...... do your homework before posting such a 'hot' topic to get ppl to sign you paper..... talk to ppl that has been affected by the creatures.....

That's my views and speaking for noone else but myself here.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 12:41 pm 

Are seals sometimes a pain the the a##? Yes, a fair bit of the time...but AngelGirl, that tired old chestnut about putting fishermen out of business is crap. I too come from a family that fished (here and in Scotland), have watched the "seal effect" on both sides the pond, including when we lived over there for a while, and it adds up to a poor "urban" legend. Just ain't true. As well the bit about people needing the cull for food-- gimme a break. And finally Salmon Chaser your post was nothing short of moronic...doing your part "one seal at a time." I don't particularly come down too hard on either side of the cull but if you're going to attempt to make a point don't go with the emotions and the anger, try using some facts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 2:32 pm 
True Islander

Salmon Chaser wrote:
Elaine,, Ed.
Would either of you wish to explain WHY this cull should be ended?????
Calgary?? A little fact there Elaine. People rely on the hunt for food and as a source of income. Its not a hobby for those people Elaine,, unlike your petition. Get a clue lady!!!
They are a pest like coyotes around a farmyard and need to be treated as such. The population on the east Coast has exploded and is way beyond controlable numbers. 6 million seals(estimate) eating an estimated 30lbs of fish per day,, you do the math on this one. I think they could be culled by at least 70% and i'am doing my part one seal at a time.
I can't wait for your response Elaine so you can enlighten me with your expertise on the evil seal hunt.
Anyone remeber another time that someone from Central Canada tried to get s#!t started on the East Coast,,, anyone??? Remember Burnt Church??
Stay in Calgary Elaine and maybe save the homeless
Dwayne Miller
North River, PEI

I would be more then happy to explain why I am opposed to stopping the seal cull.

The fact is, the seal cull doesn't happen on PEI because of environmental conservation or any factors other then the 2001 report that claimed seals cause $6.2 million in damage to lobster traps and that they compete for other fish stocks.

The attempt to protect fishing gear by culling mammals is beyond insane. Fishermen are biting off their noses to spite their face. The ecosystem of the ocean is complex and the large mammals both feed on, and provide feed for the fish on the lower rungs of the food chain as their digestive byproducts contribute to phytoplankton production. There are many factors involved in the collapse of the various fisheries, but among them is the fact we have removed almost 90% of the world ocean's biomass.

A more reasoned approach is to halt the illogical grey seal cull and convert to seal safe traps. One such study by the Finnish Game and Fisheries Research Institute, showed such a trap could almost completely eliminate trap damage. It would be logical that comparable results could be obtained here. Modifications involve changes to netting used in the traps.

Seals of all types, have been blamed for many of the woes of the Atlantic fishery. These include trap damage, parasitic worms and excessive consumption of fish stocks. Such real challenges of the industry provided a convenient scapegoat for DFO who needed somewhere to point a finger, when the fishery collapsed.

Whales and other sea life, that we have already virtually driven to extinction, consumed as much or more small fish than seals currently do. Let's start using logic to resolve problems instead of continuing to kill off the top of the oceanic food chain. Seals haven't destroyed the ocean. They lived in it and prospered for millions of years. DFO and fishermen like to claim the heard is many times that of the 70's but fail to mention that by the 70's the herds were almost fished to extinction.

If you want to point fingers at the real blame for the destruction of the oceans, point it at the humans who try to extract every last damn fish they can.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 5:06 pm 

If you want to point fingers at the real blame for the destruction of the oceans, point it at the humans who try to extract every last damn fish they can.[/quote]

This is the part of Ed's post that I wanted to say myself. Trawlers, Seiners, they're taking everything out of the ocean. It's not the seals that are doing it but they'll be gone too because there won't be anything left for them either then no one will have to worry about seal culls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 5:36 pm 
True Islander

Maura wrote:
If you want to point fingers at the real blame for the destruction of the oceans, point it at the humans who try to extract every last damn fish they can.

This is the part of Ed's post that I wanted to say myself. Trawlers, Seiners, they're taking everything out of the ocean. It's not the seals that are doing it but they'll be gone too because there won't be anything left for them either then no one will have to worry about seal culls.[/quote]

That is the point fishermen try to avoid. When they do address overfishing, the inshore fishermen blame the trawlers, trawlers blame inshore fishermen and foreign vessels...everyone has someone else to blame.

Early European explorers used to talk about how the fish were so plentiful, they impeded the course of their vessels. Now we see a very different picture. Fish are becoming so difficult to catch, some want us to start killing everything that compete with us for fish.

Sadly, most forget that most life forms in the ocean are co-dependent. Surface fish and mammals eat food and their waste spreads energy to lower depths.

Some forms of fish life at least had a fighting chance because they were too ugly or unpalatable to attract the interest of fishermen. Now, underutilized species is the new source of fish meal for aquaculture farms that pollute our bays and increase the risk of disease for wild species.

It is clear that fishermen and DFO do not have the health of the ocean at heart. It is time for regular folk, like you and I, to make our voices heard.

Some marine biologists think the Oceanic Biomass has dropped below the point at which it can ever rebound. Keep this up and you'll have more life in your toilet, then the ocean.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14th, 2008, 9:55 am 

Wow,, google can really bring out the best in some of us,, and the odd snippet from Compass. Seal proof traps?? Seriously? Can you google me the link to the saviour of the south side lobster fleet that each and every day has at leas 15% of a fishermans gear stripped by seals?? Please hurry before this "urban legend" causes me to miss my next set of monthly payments!!
To put the seal population in perspective against the oceans biomass or stocks from the 70's in rididculous. Sure, seals may not have been as much of a problem when the oceans were a little healthier,, but the same number of seals today against diminishing stocks is just plain stupid if allowed to continue.
Fishing the top of the food chain to extinction is wrong on all levels. However, culling the food chain to keep populations in check is not only smart,, it is needed. The real problem lies in fishing the bottom of the food chain. Krill supply the building blocks for pretty much everything larger than itself,, should we be fishing them?? No. Is it a stupid decision by DFO?? Yes
Now Cramsey,, are you calling me a moron for making my statements or are you saying my comments were more like one who could be confused with a moron?? Either way,, who cares?? You have seen the "seal effect" both here and in the UK. Well what have you seen here and on which side of the Island and in which port did you make your observations?? Please explain your blanket statement. Buddy, i am on the water from May till December so trust me,, i have my facts straight as an arrow. As for my comment that you dismissed as moronic. Yes, given the chance i shoot seals,, as i have said they are a nuisance to those of us making a living on our fishing grounds as much as a coyote nipping at the heels of a young calf. They cost us money and time and energy and are dealt with as the pest they are. Ed you can thank me as i am feeding the dottom bwellers and thus continuing the cycle of life lol.
Now,, "modifications involve changes to netting used in the traps". Again this google theme rears its ugly head. The key to a lobster trap is the size of the ring used in the front parlour of the trap. The dimension of the ring determines the size of the lobster that can enter the trap. South side lobster are big, probably averaging four pounds and run to 15lb(rare but they are there) so we need to use a large ring. Some lads use 8" rings for this purpose but most run between 6" and 8". So according to your theory,, we should reduce the size of the ring so that neither the seal nor the lobster can nter our traps,, brilliant!! I'll tell all the boys in the harbour that ed the sock just solved our troubles!!! I also like how you just dismissed that "2001 report" which took 6.2 million dollars out of the pockets of fishermen and their families in one year alone!! Thats just gear too,, not the lost catches due to damaged gear,, the time to fix/replace, etc.
Trust me big fella,, the seal proof trap has been designed for years,, trouble is they don't catch very many lobsters.
Now Maura,, i take your comment as a bit of a slap in the face. Fishermen catch fish,, but i'll damn well tell you we care,, and do,, more for the future stocks than you realize.The last 10 years have seen incredible changes to the Island lobster fleets. Trap changes, changes to the carapace, The disaster in the fall of '02(i think) of returning all large males to the water,(which nealry ruined many fall fishers thank you very much Jeff Reagan!!!), Tracking programs, ongoing scientific studies. The science and the effort is there folks and regardless of what you have heard,, fishermen care deeply about their resource and their livelihood. Just ask any of those who turned out to the Souris wharf to defend their waters and stocks!!!
Lastly ed "it is clear that fishermen and DFO do not have the health of the ocean at heart. It is time for regular folk, like you and i, to make our voices heard", i suggest this summer you take a run out to any port on the island,, call the lads together and recite this paragraph to them. Yes boy,, you can save the fishery one port at a time.
Dwayne Miller
lobsterman

n

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15th, 2008, 4:10 pm 

SC, it was the post that was moronic-- I don't know you so I certainly won't make that judgment. You still didn't respond to my point. Simply being in the business doesn't count as fact-- you gave anecdotal evidence only-- no numbers, no proof. As I said before-- yeah, seals are a pain in the ass. But to make your point you need to show specifics, numbers, etc. A stronger argument has been made on this thread by others for self-inflicted wounds (i.e., it's the fishermen themselves) causing the demise of the industry. Simply being in the business and assuming your word is fact is a little like the 85-year-old war vets who write the editor and think everyone should believe their take on Iraq and Afghanistan simply because 60 years ago they got drafted and shot somebody.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15th, 2008, 9:00 pm 

First I am a moron and now a liar?? Dude,, your a piece of work.
First I post my name,, which for me means I am willing to back up whatever i post unlike some. I don't hide behind a faceless online alias. Also i think i answered your "point" quite well and the only way to further answer it would be add satelite imagery or surveilance video or to drag you along some morning and shoot one with you beside me.
You accuse me of no evidence but yet in your very first post we are supposed to believe you because you have "seen it" and have "lived on both sides of the pond" and "i come from a fishing family" !!! Good for you!! That little point shows me that i am a moron and a liar for posting my opinion while you are right for doing the exact same thing. My post above has made my position on the matter pretty clear i think,, i also think its pretty clear you need to take a seal tour from Charlottetown Harbour and realize that all those cute little seals steal our livelihood every night when we sail back home to port.
Dwayne Miller
aka Salmon Chaser

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2008, 7:54 pm 

SC calm down and read what I said-- 1)specifically did not call you a moron-- said your post was moronic 2) did not at any point call you a liar 3) stated seals are a pain in the ass did not intimate in any way that they are "cute". don't disagree with a great deal of what you say. I say that you need to put aside the anger and emotion and come up with verifiable fact rather then anecdotal "evidence."(Satellite imagery of what btw? That there are a lot of seals or no fish? Sure as hell won't see the seabed.) My statement of "coming from a fishing family" illustrates only that fishing people don't all see the issue the same way. We watched especially the overfishing and greed in method in Scotland and our livelihood disappeared. I just don't see the point at screaming at anyone who disagrees-- that just turns 'em off, brother. Wild talk about shooting seals and people from Central Canada "starting s**t" just p***es off half the audience you're trying to reach. Finally--I don't hide in my posts either-- cramsay is the real name-- just shortened it from Craig Ramsay cause people assumed I was the Sabres' old winger-- a cousin but not me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2008, 9:29 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Salmon Chaser wrote:
Yes, given the chance i shoot seals,, as i have said they are a nuisance to those of us making a living on our fishing grounds
n

Do you need a license to shoot a seal? Can you just bring a firearm on a boat and shoot whatever happens to be a nuisance? What are the regulations in respect to this? Because my understanding is that there is a specific time frame where licensed "hunters" (or whatever the proper term is) may shoot or club seals of a certain age and skin them for their fur. I never heard of a fisherman being allowed to just shoot them because they are bugging them. How is this regulated?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2008, 10:40 pm 
True Islander

Check the historical lobster landings;

Average annual lobster landings in the 70's were $9.3 Million.in the 80's, $33.8 million. In the 90's 62.5 Million. so far in 2000's it is 103.3 Million.

Rather then reduce fishing and licenses, to allow stocks to supply both man and animal, lets just shoot any animals that compete for fish.

This is a foolhardy approach and will eventually destroy the fishing grounds. There is more in the water then just lobster. In fact, a healthy fishery recognizes that all ocean life is important to maintaining a healthy marine ecosystem. All over the world, fishermen rape the ocean and then try to convince us that they care about their resource.

I don't buy it.

BTW, I don't hide behind my nickname. I regularly post that my name is Ed Gaudet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2008, 11:00 pm 

North Shore landings have been setting records each and every successive yearwhile south side catches have levelled out at or near historic lows for at least the last 10 years. The North side fleet is almost entirely a canner fishery so the seal problem is not so prevalent because of small traps and small rings. Swing over to the south side from wood islands to the west, as far as Victoria, and it really is a market fishery and this is where the seal damage is the greatest.
The buy back program is in place and has bought back fleets in the past,, but,, huge amounts of $$$ are needed and lets face it,, Government won't or can't pony up enough dough to buy out enough fleets.
As for taking a shot at a seal? its called a nuisance permit.
Thanks for introducing yourself Ed.
Dwayne
aka Salmon Chaser

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2008, 9:03 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Salmon Chaser wrote:
As for taking a shot at a seal? its called a nuisance permit.

Oh, okay. So, how do you get a nuisance permit and do you have one, Dwayne?