* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: PEI Burger Love
PostPosted: April 5th, 2013, 7:48 pm 

Where did ya have it? Describe it, and do ya recommend it?

Haven't had any yet but interested in seeing some reviews of the various burgers, seems like quite a selection this year

Post subject: Re: PEI Burger Love
PostPosted: April 5th, 2013, 8:31 pm 

Had the Nat'cha burger from Gahan and the Leprechaun burger from the Old Dublin, Gahan was better but I won't be back for either, toppings were great but I found the meat lacked flavor at both spots, and I am not overly struck on the Old Dublins BBQ sauce........hearing good things about Phinley's in Stratford and Red's Corner in Pooles corner, hope to try both over the weeks to come.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 8:18 am 
Almost an Islander

I had the one at Hunter's. It was quite big and it came with a with a very tasty side of southwest-type sauce.

I'm not a huge fan of grilled cheese sandwiches, and that is what served as the bun. That is just my opinion though. If you are a grilled cheese fan, then this wouldn't be a consideration.

The deep fried pickle on top was a very nice touch, as were the 2 chicken fingers in the middle. Overall, I would give the burger 8/10.

I was reading in the Graphic how much the entry fee went up for participating restaurants. I forget exactly how much, but if memory serves, the entry fee tripled. One restaurant in Montague said they would have to sell $2400 worth of them to break even, and they had to do it all in one month. Maybe this campaign has gotten a little ahead of itself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 8:58 am 
From Away

so far i've had the savoury lady from the maple grille, and the pub crawl from st. james' gate. both were very good, but the savoury lady was my favourite - i'll be adding goat cheese to my bbq'd burgers this summer! the brioche bun on the pub crawl was really delicious and fluffy but it seemed more like a regular pub burger.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 9:00 am 
True Islander

They went from 22 to 31 restaurants this year so I doubt the promotion has run its course.
$600 for a full month of advertising, even if it is shared, is a bargain.
Even if you gain 2 regular customers who wouldn't normally have visited your restaurant it would be more than worth it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 9:41 am 
Almost an Islander

I didn't say it has run its course, just that for the fees to have tripled over a year, and have the promotion becoming exclusive to larger, urban restaurants is kind of disappointing. Especially when you consider the establishment in question was the past champion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 9:56 am 
True Islander

Kanye East wrote:
I didn't say it has run its course, just that for the fees to have tripled over a year, and have the promotion becoming exclusive to larger, urban restaurants is kind of disappointing. Especially when you consider the establishment in question was the past champion.

I agree that they are out pricing the small market operations.
If I were in that situation I would take advantage. I would create a burger, maybe call it the "not peilove burger" and start a Facebook page for it. Make it go viral.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 10:30 am 

I wish they'd post both the cost and the calorie count in the advertising. I'm astounded by the quantity of meat alone in these creations.

A "serving" of meat is 2.5oz.

Teens & Adult should have 2-3 servings of protein per day (7.5oz) according to Canada's Food Guide. Dieticians of Canada recommend one serving of meat every day, along with a meat alternative to make up the recommended daily intake of five ounces of protein.

U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends you consume no more than approximately 4 ounces of total meat per day to help meet your protein recommendations.

UK Government's scientific advisers recommend that people should not consume more red or processed meat than an average 2.5oz (70g) a day.

These burgers all contain 6-10oz of meat.

Maybe they need to be big & expensive to cover the cost of participating in the campaign but it's too bad there wasn't one, sensible, somewhat healthy choice in there.

I wonder what the campaign would look like if they teamed up with not only with PEI Department of Agriculture and Forestry but also the Department of Health and Wellness and Health PEI....

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 10:43 am 
True Islander

jypsy wrote:

I wonder what the campaign would look like if they teamed up with not only with PEI Department of Agriculture and Forestry but also the Department of Health and Wellness and Health PEI....

My guess is that it would look like a ghost town.
The promotion is directed at selling PEI beef.
People can go out and support it without have to fear the boogeyman coming out and killing them with heart disease.

How is it that the 3 government organizations you quote can have a discrepancy of over 60%?
Which one is right? Are any of them right or do they base their calculations on which food lobby has the most influence on them?
Ask the creators of the Canada Food Guide why they changed their "recommendations" after being pressured by Dairy Bureau of Canada and the Canadian Egg Marketing Agency.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 11:37 am 

Raiders wrote:
How is it that the 3 government organizations you quote can have a discrepancy of over 60%?
Which one is right? Are any of them right or do they base their calculations on which food lobby has the most influence on them?
Ask the creators of the Canada Food Guide why they changed their "recommendations" after being pressured by Dairy Bureau of Canada and the Canadian Egg Marketing Agency.

The UK numbers stem from this report http://www.sacn.gov.uk/pdfs/sacn_iron_and_health_report_web.pdf
Quote:
"After detailed consideration of the epidemiological evidence on the relationship between red and processed meat intake and colorectal cancer risk, the report concludes that red and processed meat is probably associated with an increased risk of colorectal cancer. Since the evidence does not allow quantification of the amount of red and processed meat that
may be linked with increased colorectal cancer risk, SACN is advising high consumers of red and processed meat to consider reducing their intakes. The modelling exercise suggests that reducing red and processed meat intake to the population average for adult consumers (estimated to be about 70 g/day cooked weight in 2000/01) would have little effect on the proportion of the population with iron intakes below the lower limit of recommended intake for iron."

I don't think any of them are "right".

The Canada Food Guide change you refer to happened between the draft and the final version of their 1992 revision of the guide. The CFG proposed reducing the amounts in their recommendations and the industry that convinced them to keep things as is. The meat council also complained and had the recommendations changed from "1-3" servings to "2-3" servings of meat and alternatives per day. That did not raise the upper limit. Perhaps the Milk & Egg folks had compelling evidence to maintain the past recommendations or the CFG had no good evidence to support reducing their amounts.

The politics of food guides
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/07/27/f-food-guide-70.html

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 12:01 pm 
True Islander

Kanye East wrote:

While a couple of rural restaurants chose not to participate this year, there were also a couple of rural restaurants that decided to join in the fun. I believe this is the first year for Eden's Gate and Red's Corner. But it would be nice if more rural restaurants could get a break on the fees so they felt it was more worthwhile to participate.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 12:02 pm 
True Islander

Perhaps.
My question is why do they even have input?
Is the Canada Food Guide not supposed to be based on science and what is the best balanced diet for people?
Why should lobbyists from the food industry have any say in the matter at all?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 12:05 pm 
True Islander

Raiders wrote:
jypsy wrote:

The campaign would be a disaster and wouldn't be repeated.

Like Raiders said, this is a promotion of PEI beef. It's supposed to be fun, extravagant and creative. I'm not sure how you'd create a promotion that combines beef and a healthy lifestyle.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 12:10 pm 

Raiders wrote:
Why should lobbyists from the food industry have any say in the matter at all?

They shouldn't. No argument there.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 12:22 pm 

craiger wrote:
Raiders wrote:
jypsy wrote:

The campaign would be a disaster and wouldn't be repeated.

Like Raiders said, this is a promotion of PEI beef. It's supposed to be fun, extravagant and creative. I'm not sure how you'd create a promotion that combines beef and a healthy lifestyle.

Yup. Just wish one place was willing to infuse their Burger Love & moderation. We can all dream eh..

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 12:23 pm 
True Islander

Had the entry from cedars Eatery last night. Excellent burger, tasty, not overpowering... If you like Shawarma, you will love this burger. They added the sauce from shawarma to the burger which adds greatly to the taste. Cedars hasnt tried to over power you with "mega burger" but, rather enhanced its taste. Loved it. Try it.

As a note , I was told that one participating restaurant int his promotion sold 90 burgers in one day this past week. Thats an incredible number by anyone's standards.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 10:33 pm 
Almost an Islander

Red Water Grille's Butcher's Block is fantastic. Hard to describe the whole deal, but has a lovely smokey flavor and comes with a homemade mac & cheese for a side. Really tasty homemade bun, with a bacon wrapped, cream cheese infused jalapeno pepper on top. Yummy, yummy, yummy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 10:36 pm 
Entertainment Director

I've got my eye on the one @ Papa Joe's. I'm only allowing myself one though, so I'm watching people's reviews before I make my final decision which I go for :)

PostPosted: April 7th, 2013, 7:43 am 
From Away

We tried the Thrilla on the Hilla last night at the Inn on the Hill and it was amazing! It was just the right size, not over-filling and the bruschetta mix and artichioke aioli were delicious. Loved that they used prosciutto rather than the typical bacon. I'm going to get another one of these before the promotion ends!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 7th, 2013, 7:47 am 
Almost an Islander

Kitchen Party wrote:
I've got my eye on the one @ Papa Joe's. I'm only allowing myself one though, so I'm watching people's reviews before I make my final decision which I go for :)

We tried the Bombay Burger at Papa Joe's a couple of days ago, and it was absolutely delicious! I'm not sure, but I think the burger patty had a hint of cinamon in it, the yogurt and goat cheese were so creamy and delicious, they really helped to enhance the flavor of the burger. It also had thin deep fried battered onions on it, the whole thing just came together so well.

Last night, my husband had the M1 at Mavor's, and I tried a bite of it. Again, a very delicious burger. I love that it was served on a a pretzel bun, and it had so much bacon on it. Love bacon :-)
The cheese was cooked into the middle of the patty, which seemed to give it even more flavour. It was a very tall burger, so he had to sort of smoosh it down and cut it in half in order to eat it!
So far Mavor's is our favorite, but we're looking forward to trying the burger at The Brickhouse next week.

Profile E-mail