* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: PEI Burger Love
PostPosted: April 13th, 2013, 11:09 pm 

Had the Island Gangnam Style from Turf's at Red Shores

wasn't overly impressed..Found it to be pretty bland and the sauce was a little strange, The fried egg was very runny which was a bit of a turn off when it was dripping all over my plate

Guy at table beside me was eating a normal burger with cheese and bacon, looked much more appetizing..

Can't recommend this one, left me felling quite queasy

PostPosted: April 14th, 2013, 7:45 am 
True Islander

Had The Butcher's Block at Red Water Rustic Grille last night. Absolutely delicious! I highly recommend it. Nice and juicy with a great blend of flavours. This burger has to be one of the favorites. Hopefully they keep it on the menu permanently. Based on the place being full for the three hours I was there last night, they'd be wise to continue serving it!

The mac and cheese as a side on the other hand, awful! Service was pretty poor too. But the burger was worth it all.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2013, 2:10 pm 
True Islander

craiger wrote:
Had The Butcher's Block at Red Water Rustic Grille last night. Service was pretty poor too. But the burger was worth it all.

Love to see a review of this under there restaurant name if youcould. Interested to hear why it was poor.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2013, 7:16 pm 
Almost an Islander

Tonight for supper we had the Kaboom burger from Boom Burger, it was delicious! It had 2 patties, and they were so juicy and flavorful. Lots of sauteed onions, cheese, sauteed mushrooms, bacon, lettuce and tomato, and I think the bun was garlic toast or something like that. Yum-yummy.

Which one next? :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 14th, 2013, 11:38 pm 
True Islander

linetwig wrote:
craiger wrote:
Had The Butcher's Block at Red Water Rustic Grille last night. Service was pretty poor too. But the burger was worth it all.

Love to see a review of this under there restaurant name if youcould. Interested to hear why it was poor.

I don't know if our waitress was new or what, but she wasn't up to snuff. Doesn't seem like the kind of place where they'd normally use a pen and pad to write your order but she was. She wasn't the friendlies waitress and the service was pretty slow (granted, it was packed all evening). She didn't really ask about refilling our drinks either. A couple of my friends would have orderd another beer but she asked when one guy was not even half way done. I don't think she asked again. And we switched our seating placement slightly (4 people out of 8 changed seats) and that through her completely for a loop. But we moved before we ordered so I'm not sure why it caused so much confusion. It just wasn't a great service experience, but friends said they had been there before and had excellent service. Another waitress dealt with us a couple of times and she seemed much nicer.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2013, 2:02 pm 
Almost an Islander

My husband and I tried the Kaboom burger from Boom Burger today at lunch. We both enjoyed it. No strange or unfamiliar ingredients like some of the burgers we saw on the website and they were willing to serve it without onions. It was much more like a traditional hamburger than the other Burger Love entry I tried from Gahan but was still tasty and so large I had to practically unhinge my jaw to fit it into my mouth :lol:

I would buy the Kaboom burger again, where the Not'cha Burger wasn't something I would order again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 17th, 2013, 10:15 pm 

Had the silver fox at phinley's. It was humongous and delicious. I looked back six pages here and couldn't find a review of the restaurant. Which is amazing since the place was full and they were making a list of people waiting for tables. This was our first time at phinley 's but won't be our last .

This burger promotion seems to be really paying off for some places!

PostPosted: April 18th, 2013, 9:41 pm 
Almost an Islander

chill wrote:
Had the silver fox at phinley's. It was humongous and delicious. I looked back six pages here and couldn't find a review of the restaurant. Which is amazing since the place was full and they were making a list of people waiting for tables. This was our first time at phinley 's but won't be our last .

This burger promotion seems to be really paying off for some places!

I had the burger at Merchantman, and it was delicious and juicy. While I don't care for some of the toppings on their own, they tasted great with all of the other components of the burger. If I did have one complaint, it would have been the price. $14 is too much for a hamburger, but it was very good. Probably not as good as Boomburgers, which was $8.

Phinley's is, in my opinion, a mediocre restaurant. Nothing on the menu really tastes great. In particular, the children's meals are terrible. My son and I both ordered a hamburger, mine was made from what seemed like fresh beef, while my son's was clearly a frozen burger. Having said all of this, I have heard many good things about their Burger Love burger, and I've heard business has picked up quite a bit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 18th, 2013, 10:24 pm 
Almost an Islander

Had Mavors' M-1 tonight. Service was great, and the burger was amazing. Nice sized patty, great toppings, and the bun (house made) was a lovely pretzel bun. This can be a drawback in some places if they don't get it just right. Mavors does...really soft and easy to eat! I added a spinach salad for $2.00. Total bill for the burger, salad and a pint was $24 and change.
My personal front runner is still Red Water's burger, (sorry to hear you had less than stellar service Craiger, that's odd for them) but Mavors' was a close runner up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 19th, 2013, 5:30 am 
True Islander

islander1 wrote:
My personal front runner is still Red Water's burger, (sorry to hear you had less than stellar service Craiger, that's odd for them) .

we had no service from them as well. see my review in there thread.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2013, 11:35 am 
Almost an Islander

Just tried the burger from Redwater Grill for lunch. It was very tasty and the burger patty was huge! I couldn't identify some of the topings but it tasted great all together.

I'm not a fan of the mac & cheese side dish, though. I ordered the burger for take-out as my office is very close and the burger was still hot and juicy but mac & cheese portion was very scanty and unappealing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 19th, 2013, 11:44 am 
Almost an Islander

ariadne wrote:
Just tried the burger from Redwater Grill for lunch. It was very tasty and the burger patty was huge! I couldn't identify some of the topings but it tasted great all together.

I'm not a fan of the mac & cheese side dish, though. I ordered the burger for take-out as my office is very close and the burger was still hot and juicy but mac & cheese portion was very scanty and unappealing.

That's the one we want to try next!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 19th, 2013, 7:08 pm 
True Islander

ariadne wrote:

Trust me, the mac and cheese wouldn't have been any better had you eaten in the restaurant.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2013, 8:52 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

I'm living vicariously through you guys. Keep the burger reviews coming!

PostPosted: April 20th, 2013, 12:29 pm 
True Islander

Had the entry from Papa Joes last night. The " Bombay" I beleive.

Didnt rock my world at all. Had 2 bites of it, and put it aside. Didnt care for the spices ( currie etc) in it.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2013, 4:36 pm 
Almost an Islander

My husband and I tried the burger at Mavor's today for lunch. I was a bit disappointed. The burger was good but I found the patty to be so thick it was a bit sickening and the overall flavor of the burger reminded me of cream of mushroom soup. Not that I don't like cream of mushroom soup but it wouldn't be my first choice for a burger flavor. The pretzel bun was very yummy and I did eat most of the burger before handing the rest off to my husband who was happy to finish mine after eating one of his own.

So my rankings for the ones I've tried are:
1. Redwater Rustic Grill
2. Boom Burger
3. Mavor's
4. Gahan

I don't expect I'll be able to try too many more as I'm avoiding the ones with garlic, curry or non-removable onions :wink: I like to only taste my burgers at the time I eat them and not for several hours afterwards.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 20th, 2013, 8:21 pm 
Almost an Islander

I have made it to a dozen places now.

Dollar for dollar between quality, quantity, and price. Easily The Gatekeeper, no one even comes close.

Best tasting burger, Mavors.

I have no idea how they make money on the one at Edens Gate.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 9:14 am 
From Away

i had the smokin' fungi from urban eatery a couple weeks ago -- full of things i'd never think to put on a burger but the flavours were amazing. best-tasting burger of the three i've had. very messy though! 1/3 of it fell out as i ate so i needed a fork to finish it up. i got fries with it since it was 'fryday' and they tasted fine but were kind of cold by the time i'd eaten the whole burger.

my friend got the m-1 at mavor's last week -- service was strange. the hostess seemed irritated, server couldn't recommend a cocktail and brought my boyfriend wiskey & coke when he ordered an old fashioned. my friend enjoyed the burger but we all said the same thing as ariadne, the patty was crazy! it was shaped more like a sphere. again, not one to try on a first date. pretty difficult to eat that gracefully haha.

Profile E-mail