* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: DUNDEE ARMS
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2013, 10:11 pm 

Never had a bad meal or bad experience here, whether on a regular evening or on new years eve, service great, friendly .House merlot is good too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: DUNDEE ARMS
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2013, 10:45 pm 
True Islander

I ate there for winterdine. The whole experience was disappointing.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2013, 4:36 pm 

LIke Moehoward, I have never had a bad experience there. The service and food have been consistently good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 12:30 pm 
From Away

I consider Dundee one of the little-known gems in town.

Friendly, helpful staff (refilling water, taking your coat when you come in, smiling, not too pushy when it comes to offering drinks and desserts), and amazing rolls (of which they gave me extra when requested, without charge).

The food is reasonably priced, locally sourced (when available), and of high quality.

On some experiences the food has been a touch slow to arrive, but when I was there two evenings ago service was quite prompt.

I didnt mind when the food was slow, however, as the ambiance is quite pleasing- the music is usually soft fiddle music, piano, and occasionally folksey- nicely decorated with comfortable furniture.

(Also, as its my first post, I feel obliged to note that I'm not affiliated with Dundee (or any restaurant in Charlottetown, for that matter) in any way, other than being an avid Foodie)

-TruthHammered

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 6:21 pm 
Tourist

craiger wrote:

We had a similar experience during Winterdine as it wasn't up to the Dundee's usual high standards.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 7:26 pm 
True Islander

Viking17 wrote:
craiger wrote:

We had a similar experience during Winterdine as it wasn't up to the Dundee's usual high standards.

I never had any issues there before but you hit the nail on the head, it wasn't up to their usual standards. The service was disappointing as was the food.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 7:32 pm 
True Islander

They hired new manager and some new staff around this time last year in order to turn things around. I haven't been to the dining room since the change, although have been to the pub a few times for brunch. Won't be in a rush to check out the dining room. Shame, because this used to be a very good restaurant.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 10:16 am 
Newly Created Account

I am not sure where you have received your information from. The information posted here is incorrect. I have been with the Dundee Arms since the early eighties and we did not hire a New Manager last year nor did we hire new staff at this time last year. We have quite a few long term staff. We do hire new staff in the Spring like all restaurants do.

If you have a problem with your meal while dining with us please let us know. I appreciate all comments... positive or negative. We cannot fix anything we do not know about. Please inform your server when he/she does a quality check on your meal. If you are not satisified please tell your server. I do not understand why people will go out to eat, say everything is great to the server and than post a comment on a message board that the whole experience was disappointing. I could fully understand people doing this if the restaurant did not offer to fix the problem or just brushed the complaint off. Please tell us first. I am more than happy to listen and try and fix anything that you are not happy with . We have been in business for 40 years of which I have been here 33 years. I do not think there is much I have not heard or seen and I appreciate everyone letting us know how we are doing.I appreciate my customers and my staff amd I am a very approachable person.

This year we decided to go with a Mexican Theme for Winter Dine. We have had a lot of positive comments about the experience. There was also a few negative comments as I can see here on the message board. Mexican food is not for everyone . I am sorry if your experience with us at winterdine was disappointing and if you wouuld like to talk to me here at the Dundee I am here most days and a few evenings. If I am not here I will be sure to return your call.

Thank you for reading and have a great day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 1:14 pm 
True Islander

Dundee Manager wrote:
I am not sure where you have received your information from. The information posted here is incorrect. I have been with the Dundee Arms since the early eighties and we did not hire a New Manager last year nor did we hire new staff at this time last year. We have quite a few long term staff. We do hire new staff in the Spring like all restaurants do.

If you have a problem with your meal while dining with us please let us know. I appreciate all comments... positive or negative. We cannot fix anything we do not know about. Please inform your server when he/she does a quality check on your meal. If you are not satisified please tell your server. ...

Thank you for reading and have a great day.

Mr Manager
Sorry about any confusion. Below is the ad that I referring to. It was posted to Kijiji about Jan. 25 2012. I have it in an email sent to me with a link to the posting of a position available at The Dundee Arms. Of course, that ad has expired. I have no idea if the position was filled.

Thanks for the response to the comments about your establishment. After your response, I will look forward to visiting your dining room soon. And I won't be afraid to speak positively of my experience.
Classified Ad on Kijiji "Food and Beverage Supervisor"

View this Ad: Food and Beverage Supervisor

Thanks for visiting Kijiji!

PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 1:34 pm 
Newly Created Account

This is a food and Beverage supervisor position which has been filled since January of 2012. In the food industry in almost all restaurants there is a Food and Beverage Manager and a Supervisor. We did have a supervisor who changed locations and therefore we had to fill this position. It did not have anything to do with the operation of the Dundee or turning things around. Thank you for letting me know what you were referring to.

Have a great day. Enjoy the sunshine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 7:52 pm 

Will keep this brief and not much detail because last time I posted a review in here I was called a loser and other nasty names.

I will just say I used to eat at Dundee quite a bit and I ate there several weeks ago and the food and service was NOWHERE near what it used to be.

The meals were.....well lets just say we pushed them around the plate a great deal. The service was spotty at best and we showed it in our very small tip.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 8:01 pm 
True Islander

Dundee Manager wrote:
I do not understand why people will go out to eat, say everything is great to the server and than post a comment on a message board that the whole experience was disappointing. I could fully understand people doing this if the restaurant did not offer to fix the problem or just brushed the complaint off. Please tell us first. I am more than happy to listen and try and fix anything that you are not happy with.

People say that because not everyone feels that they need to be compensated or apologized to for a meal that didn't live up to their expectations. Had my server seen my empty beer glass within a few minutes of it being empty, I would have ordered another. I have no interest in going to the manager and saying the waitress didn't notice my empty glass. She was likely busy so I saved the few dollars and enjoyed my water the rest of the meal.

I also wasn't going to tell my server my ribs were disappointing and kind of dry. They weren't terrible ribs by any means, but when I think of ribs, I think of meat falling off the bone, not me trying to scrape every last morsel off because there were only a few ribs that came with the meal.

And my wife didn't want to ask someone to heat up the coconut pudding thing she had. She thought it was going to be served warm and it wasn't. It's not like it was sitting on a shelf for too long, it seems like it was supposed to be served cold. I enjoyed my deep friend cinnamon thing though.

So yeah, it was a disappointing meal. I'm not going to throw a fit over it like some people do and hold it against the Dundee for the rest of my life though. Eating a meal you've never had before at a restaurant is always a bit of a gamble. Sometimes you're pleasantly surprised, and, like in this case, sometime's you're surprisingly disappointed.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 11:14 pm 

Craiger - A very sensible and logical post.

Well done!!