Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: What's up with KFC?
PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 8:13 am 

Raiders wrote:
Deep fried food in moderation is not bad for you.

Actually, consumption of deep fried food in any amount is bad for you.

Deep frying is bad because it adds lots of bad fats and empty calories to your food. Not only that but it destroys the good nutrients in the food so you end up eating empty calories.

Ask Google. He will tell you the same thing.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 8:32 am 

chill wrote:
Raiders wrote:
Deep fried food in moderation is not bad for you.

Actually, consumption of deep fried food in any amount is bad for you.

Deep frying is bad because it adds lots of bad fats and empty calories to your food. Not only that but it destroys the good nutrients in the food so you end up eating empty calories.

Ask Google. He will tell you the same thing.

Perhaps you should spend some time in a biochemistry and/or nutrition course than on Google.

your arguments start on false or incomplete premises so will inherently lead to misleading conclusions.

Quote:

deep frying with a good, non hydrogenated oil doesn't add "bad fats". In fact, properly deep fried food tends to add little extra to the food but rather a crispy coating on it.

Also, what is you definition of empty calories? I believe these calories aren't so much "empty" as they may be excessive, which is where moderation comes.

And what exactly is destroying the nutrients? the temperatures involved would also apply to baking or grilling as well.

To state that consumption of any deep fried food is bad for you is to over simplify and just plain exaggerate the issue.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 9:18 am 

We are talking about kfc. It's not good for you. No biochemistry will convince me it isn't bad for me. I'll say once again though. I do eat lots of bad food, because it tastes good.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 9:38 am 

chill wrote:
...No biochemistry will convince me it isn't bad for me....

'nuf said :roll:

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 10:05 am 

alandla wrote:
chill wrote:

sorry, maybe i was too quick to type that. please explain to me, using biochemistry, how KFC is NOT bad for me. I am open to being taught. Again, I apologize if you were offended by me saying that biochemistry wouldn't convince me. So please, do explain.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 11:34 am 

chill wrote:
alandla wrote:
chill wrote:

sorry, maybe i was too quick to type that. please explain to me, using biochemistry, how KFC is NOT bad for me. I am open to being taught. Again, I apologize if you were offended by me saying that biochemistry wouldn't convince me. So please, do explain.

my comment was directed at your deep frying comments above, not specifically KFC.

However, biochemically speaking, KFC in moderation is neither bad nor good for you.

The food is fried in Canola oil (high in monounsaturates, low in saturates, and is a source of omega 3 fatty acids).

It contains fat, carbohydrates, & protein as do most other foods, and is not in and of itself, biochemically good or bad.

If you eat a whole bucket of chicken, everyday, then yes, I'd be concerned for your health.

If you grab a bucket for the family once every other week, you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 11:45 am 

I'm not backing down from this. Deep fried foods (in this case, KFC) are not good for you. They are bad for you. Eating a little bit of KFC is better then eating a lot of KFC. Obviously. But eating at KFC never is better (healthwise) than eating at KFC occasionally.

I am not suggesting that people don't eat fried foods. KFC tastes great. I love eating at KFC. But I don't think people should try to convince themselves that KFC is not bad for you

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 12:21 pm 

chill wrote:
I'm not backing down from this. Deep fried foods (in this case, KFC) are not good for you. They are bad for you. Eating a little bit of KFC is better then eating a lot of KFC. Obviously. But eating at KFC never is better (healthwise) than eating at KFC occasionally.

I am not suggesting that people don't eat fried foods. KFC tastes great. I love eating at KFC. But I don't think people should try to convince themselves that KFC is not bad for you

Perhaps then you can explain to me how biochemically, eating even a little bit is harmful.

and again, you pick on deep fried foods by saying that all are not good for you. Proper deep frying is done at high temperatures for short periods of time that steam the water found inside foods. This helps cook the food internally while preventing the external frying oil from being absorbed by the food and giving it a crunchy exterior.

I just don't see your rationale to make such an outright claim on even small amounts.

I agree that you wouldn't want to live on it exclusively, but I can't grasp how you can claim that even a little is bad. I see it as neither bad nor good, it just is a collection of nutrients.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 1:12 pm 

I have no interest in biochemics - you brought up biochemistry, you do the explaining with biochemistry.

This is my rationale. This is what we know about deep fried foods such as KFC:

Fried foods clog arteries which could lead to strokes, alzheimers, heart attacks, aneurysms, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, even joint problems.

Fried foods (and other foods are guilty of this as well) don't break down in the body properly. They stay in your kidneys, intesitines, liver, prostate, and colon for extended periods of times. Maybe even forever.

Basically, fried food breading soaks up nearly every drop of the oil. This increases your low-density or "bad" cholesterol. The inner portion of your arteries is meant to be smooth and unrestricted, but the buildup from these saturated fats, cholesterol and trans fats can cause hard deposits (plaque) to form. Then, like a clog in a drain, your blood flow can become completely blocked and result in a heart attack or stroke, especially if a piece of the plaque breaks away.

Also, the closer your fat is to your heart, the more the heart is strained. It's worse for men because the belly is closer to the heart than the hips and thighs, where women are more prone to keep the fried foods "stored." That is one reason women have a longer life span than men on average.

(some of the above was found in this article: http://www.naturalnews.com/034483_fried ... amage.html )

So basically, eating a lot of fried foods is terrible for you, occasional fried food isn't as bad but it is still bad for you.

And I do actually eat at KFC occasionally. I have also been known to drink the remainder of the gravy. I know it's not good for me though.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 1:57 pm 

Wow

Wow

Quote:
This is what we know about deep fried foods such as KFC:

If that is what you know, then I guess we are finished with the discussion.

I have spent 15 years in nutrional research and 5 years in diagnostic hospital labs and your rationale has completely floored me.

I think you may just be a little on the extreme side of things.

I think part of the issue is that we, as a society, tend to latch onto every tidbit of sensational news and use that to form our opinions without the proper knowledge and context to put things in perspective.

I see that you threw out trans fat. Ever hear of CLA? Thus not all trans fat are bad for you. Perspective is everything.

Canola oil is high in monounsaturates, low in saturates (the main culprit linked to cholesterol).

Your points refer to disease conditions that take decades to manifest. How could a study prove that an order of KFC caused them? These are conditions from a lifetime of unhealthy eating habits...in other words, excess.

Not everything is all or nothing, good or bad. If you believe that, then an argument can be made for any and all things being bad for you somehow, which in the end nullifies any reason to be concerned.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 2:29 pm 

alandla wrote:
Wow

Wow

You are really saying wow? Guess what? KFC is bad for you. But it tastes good.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 3:46 pm 
True Islander

chill wrote:
alandla wrote:
Wow

Wow

KFC in moderation is not bad for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 6:28 pm 

Raiders wrote:
chill wrote:
alandla wrote:
Wow

Wow

wow!!!! wow!!!

KFC is bad for you - one bite - bad stuff.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 7:15 pm 
True Islander

chill wrote:
Raiders wrote:
chill wrote:
alandla wrote:
Wow

Wow

wow!!!! wow!!!

What an intelligent response. I guess you have decided you are wrong because you were proven wrong and now you are just making silly little replies with no sense.
Take this as a lesson the next time you try and let facts get in the way of your argument.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 7:43 pm 

Raiders wrote:
chill wrote:
Raiders wrote:
chill wrote:
alandla wrote:
Wow

Wow

wow!!!! wow!!!

What an intelligent response. I guess you have decided you are wrong because you were proven wrong and now you are just making silly little replies with no sense.
Take this as a lesson the next time you try and let facts get in the way of your argument.

What an intelligent response. I guess you decided I am wrong because water consumed in large amounts is also bad for you. I've run out of options except to be silly. I've mentioned the negative impacts fried foods have on one's health. There's not much more to say but "wow wow." Sorry to disappoint.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 7:45 pm 
True Islander

No. I decided you are wrong because you are wrong.
Not because you were unable to comprehend the water analogy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 7:52 pm 
From Away

GOOGLE IS A MAN?!?!?!?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 9:18 pm 

Raiders wrote:
No. I decided you are wrong because you are wrong.
Not because you were unable to comprehend the water analogy.

lol, yep sure, nice try though :lol:

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 11:26 pm 
True Islander

alandla wrote:
I agree that you wouldn't want to live on it exclusively, but I can't grasp how you can claim that even a little is bad. I see it as neither bad nor good, it just is a collection of nutrients.

Just curious if you have the same opinion about "healthy" foods. Are they not good, but just a collection of nutrients as well?

PostPosted: March 29th, 2013, 7:47 am 
True Islander

craiger wrote:
alandla wrote:

Just curious if you have the same opinion about "healthy" foods. Are they not good, but just a collection of nutrients as well?

Yep. They are. In moderation they may have health benefits. In excess they are bad for you.
Same as every other food.

Profile E-mail