Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Terre Rouge
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2012, 6:20 pm 
From Away

I sincerely doubt that in a chef-run restaurant anyone would be handling money then preparing food. Serving, fine. They're not touching it. I see no problem with that. I'm sure there are places in town who commit much worse food preparation offences behind closed kitchen doors. The cool thing about Terre Rouge is you can look inside the kitchen window and watch what they're doing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 8:13 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

So we tried the place last weekend. We were scoping the place out as a possible venue for the Christmas get-together of Mrs. K's volunteer organization.

We weren't terribly hungry, so we both just went with the seafood chowder and grilled cheese sandwich. Both were excellent. The chowder was as good as any I have tasted and the grilled cheese sandwich was certainly not your run-of-the-mill grilled cheese sandwich.

Most of the items we saw on the menu were what Mrs. K calls "adventurous dining", meaning that the combinations and/or garnishments were quite unusual, and no doubt quite tasty. But there was little or nothing for the non-adventurous or picky eater ... your standard "meat and potatoes" kind of guy/gal who just wants something they recognize and aren't willing to pay premium dollars to experiment.

Which is why we decided that this was not a good place for a group dinner, at least our group (a few fussy eaters). That, and the fact that there was a certain air of "pretentiousness" that likely would have turned off some of our group's "down to earth" members.

However, Mrs. K and I will be back. But because it is quite pricey, only when we feel like treating ourselves to something special.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 5th, 2012, 5:21 pm 

Went to Terre Rouge on sat around 1PM. I loved the atmosphere and menu choices were certainly interesting. A tad on the pricy side but not too bad considering the quality ingredients.

We did have some issues with the service, while the staff was friendly they all seemed very disjointed. We had three waiters come to our table, and we ended up waiting almost an hour for two sandwiches.

The place was busy and it's fairly new so I'm sure there are some issues with the staff getting familiar etc.

Overall the food was excellent and I'll likely return, just hope the service improves some with time.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2012, 4:30 pm 

I love the place. I go there almost daily to pickup bread, sweets (and some greens while they were in season). We go there for lunch at least once or twice a week. Last night was the first time we went there for dinner with small group of friends. We always enjoy the lunch experience there but really loved the dinner time.

Everything there is close to perfect, for this type of establishment:
- menu .. super fun. It makes you want to go there over and over so you can try it all (One of the rare places I get to have something for the first time ever - I had beef bone marrow last nigh for the app - it was real treat).
- service - there when needed but not too loud and fake friendly and not invading personal space.
- food quality and ingredients - all organic / free range stuff

What really makes this place great are small things. The way cutlery is served and replaced for an example, or small extras on the plate that show how much attention and thought has been put into preparing each meal.

We spent all of our time there commenting on the food. There is no blend and boring meal there. Each plate is full of "action". It is fun watching people make "plate strategy" and eat some things right away, trying different combinations with each bite and saving some bites for "the end".

The prices seem to be a little bit high, but it is more than worth it, as always, you get what you paid for.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2013, 1:59 am 

husband and i went the other day for lunch.

busy spot! need better placement of the "wait to be seated" signs because unless you look for it, you might not notice it.

service was fantastic; very friendly, just attentive enough.

food: old man got the seafood chowdah; portion was small looking but filled enough with good lookin' seafood like lobster, salmon, scallop, mussels, etc that it filled him well enough. He wasn't a fan of the tiny biscuits but i think that is just a personal thing.

i had the butternut squash something soup...came with croutons and probably a creme fraishe dollop. it was just delish. served with two small biscuits which were perfect for cleaning the bowl.

I had an entree as well: the roasted pork sandwich, with an apple/onion relish, cheddar and horseradish.. omg. Super tender pork, the bread was amazing...it was a sandwich to be delighted with!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 6:04 pm 
Almost an Islander

So what's the deal with their hours? Myself and five of my friends tried to go have dinner last night and they were closed at quarter to nine?! Hey guys, post your hours and stick with them!
I will support them, because I know one of the owners through work, but yeesh! This is not the T.O. where you can have "quirky" hours and it seems cute. This is Charlottetown, where you have one chance to make an impression, and one chance ONLY! Four out of the six of us said they would not bother again.
I heard a ton of complaints that they were closed after New Years. I work across the street and had people say "What's up with that? Are they gone for good?" I told my customers I thought it was just a vacation, but there was nothing on the restaurant in the way of signage to back this up. BIG No No!
I hope this place does well, because they certainly have the staff to carry it off. On the down side, if they can't get their stuff together, I see it going tits up...and that would be an actual shame.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 20th, 2013, 10:23 am 

islander1 wrote:
I heard a ton of complaints that they were closed after New Years. I work across the street and had people say "What's up with that? Are they gone for good?" I told my customers I thought it was just a vacation, but there was nothing on the restaurant in the way of signage to back this up. BIG No No!
I hope this place does well, because they certainly have the staff to carry it off. On the down side, if they can't get their stuff together, I see it going tits up...and that would be an actual shame.

There was sign at the restaurant door saying they were closed till Jan 6th.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 7:58 am 
Almost an Islander

Hours are posted now, Tuesday thru Saturday, 8-9.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 6:56 pm 

I guess it does make sense for a restaurant to close a bit early if business is slow on a particular night, or maybe there was some sort of unforeseeable issue. I couldn't see myself boycotting a restaurant for that reason, especially if it's really good. I would just call ahead. Which is a good idea anyway, since I just showed up a couple of times and wasn't able to get a table.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 9:49 pm 
Almost an Islander

I didn't say I would boycott Terre Rouge, in fact I believe I said I would continue to support them due to the amazing potential I believe they have.

Fact is, I was with several other people who are less forgiving, and in a market as competitive as Charlottetown (a whole lot of restaurants and a small population),that is a reality. If people are turned away enough times, no matter the circumstances, they'll forget about a place alltogether.

I never slagged the food, the service or any other aspect of the business other than having irregular hours. Having those, in my opinion, is a bad business decision. I was glad to see they have hours posted. It will make a big difference.

ETA: My apologies sasha, I was just going by what my customers told me, and their inquiries about Terre Rouge after New Years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 1st, 2013, 5:25 pm 
Newly Created Account

Went for a take out lunch salad - $10.50 for less than a half cup of spinach salad, soggy soggy croutons. Wont' be back there. St. Jame's Gate has a superior salad for less money.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2013, 8:19 am 
True Islander

Steven wrote:
Went for a take out lunch salad - $10.50 for less than a half cup of spinach salad, soggy soggy croutons. Wont' be back there. St. Jame's Gate has a superior salad for less money.

I call bulls**t.

Less than half a cup, no way.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2013, 8:43 am 
Newly Created Account

Greenspree, it is the truth. I was so shocked when I oepned it. At first I thought they gave me the wrong container. The place was recommended to me by several friends who were there at night. Very disappointing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2013, 1:59 pm 

Half a cup is less than a handful...what sort of container was it in? I've eaten here so many times and have never had a bad experience, so I'm always shocked to hear when others do. If I received a salad that small, I would definitely have called to complain. Maybe you did end up with the wrong container?

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2013, 3:40 pm 
True Islander

Steven wrote:
Greenspree, it is the truth. I was so shocked when I oepned it. At first I thought they gave me the wrong container. The place was recommended to me by several friends who were there at night. Very disappointing.

Perhaps they did. half a cup of fresh spinach leaves and croutons would be about 6 leaves.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2013, 11:27 am 
From Away

Everyone seem to have varying views on this place. You love it or hate it. Well I went and had the pulled pork mac and cheese which had three fingernail sized pieces of pork. It was served with a miniscule wilted green salad which was dreadful. Over priced and not that good. Perhaps my expectations are just to high compared to all the others who love it. Two lunch items(Chicken pot pie was the other with hunks of pure chicken fat/gristle in it) and two less than 5oz glasses of wine for 48 bucks. tried to complain but no manager was in at that time. Sent an email which was just ignored. No apolgoy nothing just a too bad attitude. So I won't be back. Consistency is an issue in any restaurant but this was just poor food and service.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 17th, 2013, 10:46 am 
True Islander

My wife and I went here for our anniversary last night, we ordered the carpaccio as an appetizer which was delicious. My wife ordered the duck breast and I had the lamb stuffed pork chop. Both meals were probably the best we have ever had in a PEI restaurant. Presentation was outstanding, flavours well balanced and complimentary. Cook on the duck and the lamb was perfect, not dry as is sometimes an issue with these proteins, nor undercooked. My wife ordered the chocolate caramel bomb for dessert which she adored.

All in all it exceeded our expectations and we will be back!

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2013, 10:25 pm 
Almost an Islander

greenspree wrote:
My wife and I went here for our anniversary last night, we ordered the carpaccio as an appetizer which was delicious. My wife ordered the duck breast and I had the lamb stuffed pork chop. Both meals were probably the best we have ever had in a PEI restaurant. Presentation was outstanding, flavours well balanced and complimentary. Cook on the duck and the lamb was perfect, not dry as is sometimes an issue with these proteins, nor undercooked. My wife ordered the chocolate caramel bomb for dessert which she adored.

How much was all of this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 29th, 2013, 7:32 am 
True Islander

Stratford1 wrote:
greenspree wrote:

How much was all of this?

$120 before tip, including 2 glasses of wine and a gluten free beer. Also an espresso and americano with dessert as well.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2013, 2:45 pm 
From Away

Went for dinner with my wife and son last week. The food was just tremendous. An adventurous menu and knowledgeable staff. They were busy for a Wednesday night so the service was a little slow but the food more than made up for it.

Profile E-mail