* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: The Factory Cookhouse and Dancehall / Olde Lobster Factory
PostPosted: July 15th, 2012, 10:00 am 
Almost an Islander

Ate twice here and it has been mixed reviews so far.

First time I had the Pulled Pork on a bun with fries. Sandwich was tasty but was hoping to receive a larger portion of fries as I was surprised the portion was small.

Friend just had a side of sweet potato fries. Large portion and they were tasty.

2nd time, I had the brisket with dirty rice and the baked beans. The brisket was just "ok". The beans were very delicious and the rice had very little taste.

Tablemate had the pulled pork with bacon wrapped corn on the cob and the dirty rice. Loved the pork, as I do too. Found the cob of corn tasteless and the bacon very "soggy". Same issue with the rice as I had, very little taste.

I will be back, for the pulled pork and beans especially.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2012, 2:16 pm 
Almost an Islander

Went there the other evening.... Me and the ball and chain.... Few comments. The service was excellent. The food was good ,,, the atmosphere was top notch.... Onion rings were excellent. Bill came to about $40,, dropped a fifty.. It was that good. ''nuff said. Will be back..

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 7:11 pm 
From Away

Calico wrote:
Went there the other evening.... Me and the ball and chain.... Few comments. The service was excellent. The food was good ,,, the atmosphere was top notch.... Onion rings were excellent. Bill came to about $40,, dropped a fifty.. It was that good. ''nuff said. Will be back..

Well if you ask me I would tell the ball and chain to leave you home next time ,I am sure she could find a much nicer dinner companion!!

PostPosted: July 25th, 2012, 8:45 pm 

My wife and I and another couple were here on the weekend, and probably won't be back for awhile. I got the pulled pork sandwich after all the great reviews on here. It was probably one of the driest blandest sandwiches I ever had. I had the hand cut fries which were way over cooked in oil that appeared to be in desperate need of changing. Also had a semi cold Coors light on draft.

The two wives had quesadillas (sp) which were not too bad. Again semi cold beer. Also had the same terrible hand cut fries, which my wife returned and was replaced with the same thing only to be told that's what is there.

The last member of the group had one of the meat combos with briscuit and ribs which thankfully ended up being the best meal of the table. He also had a rickards which was ice cold.

Now unto the service. We were asked many times if we had questions about the menu which wad great. I think our server was new or at least I hope so as she was easily confused with simple questions and requests. The big issue came at the end when three of us were finished and she cleaned our plates off the table. Which is fine, the issue came when she came with the bills and asked how we were going to pay when one person was still eating. Not picking at leftovers still eating!!! There was no asking for another drink or desert, just here is the bill and how would you like to pay for it. We stalled on the paying to at least let him finish eating and then promptly paid and left.

It was then that another pet peeve of mine turned up. I had originally asked for a bud light only to be told no we do not have that. As is usually the case on PEI with restaurants that do not serve Bud products I went ahead and ordered a coors light, which was half warm. When leaving I noticed people at another table drinking budweiser. Why have one and not the other? And two, yes i asked for a light beer, but i will take a piss warm budweiser over an always just fair coors light. Again just a pet peeve of mine and nothing to do with The Factory.

So in closing, we will give the place time to settle in and hopefully enough good reviews come and we will give it another try.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2012, 7:31 am 
True Islander

Sounds like mfgs7 might appreciate this tune!

PostPosted: July 26th, 2012, 7:37 am 

craiger wrote:
Sounds like mfgs7 might appreciate this tune!

Love it!!! I will drink anything ice cold but as the song says, I DRINK BUD!!!

PostPosted: August 9th, 2012, 11:25 am 

Came here with a couple girlfriends when I was home a couple weeks ago.

We popped in just after lunch, maybe around 1pm? We were greeted promptly, and got a great seat on the deck.

It was hard to decide what to get - we were all starving, everything sounded good! - but we eventually decided on: Po'boy sandwich with side salad (friend), Chicken quesadilla with mac n cheese side (friend), Avocado salad with smoked chicken added (myself). We also ordered some deep fried spicy beans as an app to share.

The DF spicy beans were very yum! Served with i think a ranch sauce (which I'm not huge on, personally) - I dipped mine in the mustard sauce they had on the table, as well as the two BBQ sauces they provided. VERY good sauces - so good, my friend wanted to buy some to take home to her husband! The beans were crisp, with a not too thick batter - might have been better if a tempura batter was used.

Both ladies I was with thoroughly enjoyed their meals - great ingredients and lots of them! The salads came with a huge side dish of dressing each, which was nice for us weirdos who like to dip their salad into the sauce instead of pouring it on top.

Service was lovely, our server checked to see if they were selling their BBQ sauces yet (they weren't when we were there, but had plans to in the near future).

Good spot for an easy lunch! Definitely interested in checking out more of their BBQ menu next time i'm home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 16th, 2012, 2:32 pm 
From Away

Ate here twice. First time had the pulled pork potato skins. I forget what they're called, but they're just regular old potato skins with pulled pork in them. Nothing extraordinary.

Second time I had the pulled pork sandwich. The pork was moist, and there was lots of it, but it was pretty bland. I tried some of the sauces available at the table, which added a nice touch, but I would think you should be able to eat pulled pork the way it is, without condiments, and it would still be tasty. Such was not the case.

After reading comments on the dirty rice here, I decided to find out for myself if it is as flavourless as people say it is. It's not - it's worse. Even after adding salt and pepper, and I never, ever use salt. I think they have the right idea with the peppers and mushrooms (I think?), but definitely needs some sort of seasoning.

My friend had quesadillas and mac and cheese. I tried the mac and cheese. It was runny and grainy, like there was way too much flour or something in the cheese mix. They could probably use a sharper cheddar as well.

Service was ok. It was a little busy, we were seated and served in decent time, but trying to get a server's attention there was a little difficult.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 2:46 pm 

Went there couple times with family. To keep it authentic, at least in my head, we ordered "4 horseman" - a platter with 4 meats and 4 sides, so all three of us could really dig into it. I did resist grabbing large ribs with hand and shouting "yeehaw" (I did do it my head if that counts). We really enjoyed it. Service was great - polite and prompt. The food was as good as it can possibly get for the price we paid. We double checked the bill as it just seemed too cheap for all that meat. Food tasted just ok but it really did not matter. It was fun to eat and fun to talk about and we had a blast and will do it again.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2012, 7:01 pm 
True Islander

I finally had a chance to eat here on the weekend for the first time. My kids split the creamy mac and cheese (not the KD) and I stole a few bites and thought it was pretty good. I'm not a huge mac and cheese fan but there was an interesting taste to the cheese that made it more unique than other mac and cheese.

I went with the Kansas City ribs (that's the rib with just one bone, right?) and it was very good. Very tender and juicy with that great smoky flavour. I had fries and steamed veggies and the fries were some of the best I've had. They were delicious. I don't expect much from fries but these were above and beyond. The steamed veggies were carrots and broccoli and they were about as bland as can be. They really are just steamed.

My wife had the beef brisket which was fantastic. I didn't know what brisket was so I avoided ordering it but I had a few bites of my wife's and it was absolutely delicious! That will be my next order for sure. The mashed sweet potato was also very good but you get way too much. You can only have so much sweet potato before you have to stop eating it, no matter how good it is.

Overall, the meal was excellent. The servers were very nice and helpful but it was a very long wait to get our meal. We ordered food for the kids first so they could get eating thinking that ours would follow not to long afterward. The kids were long done by the time we finally got our meals. Once we had our meals, we were checked on at least three times. But I found it a bit odd that they never came to our table to explain what was taking so long.

My only other complaint is those plates. They have to go. I don't think they go with the vibe of the place at all. You've got this very nice southern style restaurant, then your food is served on these awful silver discs. It like eating off the sled Clark Griswold used in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. One wrong cut of your food and that plate could go flying across the table. I found it very hard to keep the plate still to cut my ribs. I also didn't like the paper stuff the food was served on. It's great for fries and fish, but when you are cutting a piece of meat, you don't want to take a bite and get a mouthful of the paper as well. I think real plates would look a lot more appropriate and would be much better to eat off.

Overall, it's another great restaurant and I can't wait to try it again!

PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 12:14 pm 
True Islander

I've gone from never eating here before, to eating here three times in the last month! :lol:

Me and a couple of friends all tried the porktoberfest sausage. It's a foot long chorizo sausage loaded with sour cream, chilli and pulled pork. I only managed about eight inches before giving up. It was very good but my goodness, I'd never try that thing again! I'm still feeling it 16 hours later!

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 5:13 pm 
True Islander

Our dodgeball team went here the other night and I had an order of the deep fried kraft dinner.

it was friggin delicious!!

PostPosted: November 26th, 2012, 5:00 pm 
Tourist

The burgers on their new menu are DELICIOUS! I had the Mushroom & Swiss Melt - the beef was very juicy and full of flavor! The others with me had the Pulled Pork Burger and Texas Burger and said they were delicious too!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 28th, 2012, 10:23 am 
Almost an Islander

Thats good to hear when I was there they only had the one or two on the menu.... Cant wait to go back and try theses... My question is how the hell would one deep fry Kraft Dinner????

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 28th, 2012, 11:30 am 
True Islander

bakers_drivers wrote:
Thats good to hear when I was there they only had the one or two on the menu.... Cant wait to go back and try theses... My question is how the hell would one deep fry Kraft Dinner????

Let it get cold. Cut it in squares and bread it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 30th, 2012, 9:49 am 
Almost an Islander

We *finally* went to The Factory Cookhouse the other night.
We found the atmosphere very welcoming, the staff very friendly. I was freezing cold and had to wear my coat, but maybe that's just me - because everybody else in there seemed fine.

The food was so good, comfort food all around :-)

I had the Cobb Salad, because I wasn't feeling like meat, and I love avocados. All of the ingredients tasted very fresh.
My husband had the beef brisket with 2 sides; macaroni and garlic fries. He was ecstatic, he loved the meal so much! I had a bite of his macaroni when it first came out, and it was full of cheesy gooey warm goodness. He gave me one of his garlic fries later, because he wanted to show me how good they were, and it was pretty good, although personally I don't like anything potato very much.

For dessert, he had the coconut cream pie, which he claimed was amazing. I had the "Chipotle chocolate mousse bomb", which I actually didn't like - it was frozen and hard as a rock, full of ice crystals. I gave it to my husband to finish. He wasn't fond of it, but he doesn't believe in wasting food :-)

Overall, I felt it is a great restaurant for casual dining, and we'll definitely be back.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 12th, 2012, 10:59 am 
Newly Created Account

My husband and I ate here on the 4th of December. I ordered the brisket, garlic fries and mac and cheese. My husband had the fried chicken, hand cut fries and mac and cheese.

For my brisket I was expecting slices of meat instead it was more of a pulled brisket, which wasn't that big of a deal and it was pretty tasty. The garlic fries were nothing special, tasted better dipped in the creamy white sauce provided. The mac and cheese was disappointing, bland and the mac was mushy. The corn bread was very stale and dry :(

My husband's fried chicken was overcooked. He said once he got passed the skin the chicken tasted good but the coating was burnt. His fries were ok, and he had the same experience as me with the mac and cheese and corn bread.

I think the best part of the meal was the sauce!

The beer was cold and the service was friendly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 8:14 am 

Finally got to try this place out, it was great. tried the pulledpork and bacon wrapped corn and garlic fries as that was told to me by many to try. pork was flavourful and moist and not full of fat, corn was delish, fries....TONS of them but like others have complained about they are almost 'burnt' tasting and dark dark brown, gross. hand cut fries can be SO good but don't knw what they do to get them like this but thats my only complaint. they said they changed the cornbread recipe and it was my first time ever having cornbread, to me, i didnt' like it cause it tasted like a dense cake/sweet so more dessert like and just not my cup of tea ;). the service was AWESOME, best we ever encountered in our dinners out in the past few years. would def recommend the place and hope to get back again soon. :)

Profile E-mail