* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: The Factory Cookhouse and Dancehall / Olde Lobster Factory
PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 6:30 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

craiger wrote:
Did you try the food?

I don't imagine that Islandpride would have been seeking our opinions on the food if we hadn't :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 7:25 am 
True Islander

kreskin wrote:
craiger wrote:
Did you try the food?

I don't imagine that Islandpride would have been seeking our opinions on the food if we hadn't :)

Too bad you didn't mention the food in your review! :wink:

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 9:01 am 

I'm curious about the food as well. What did you and the three others have, was it tasty? I'm not trying to be a jackass by asking, I'm genuinely curious. I rather hear about food that a place offers from different people before I try it out. (Yeah, I'm that person at the table who asks to try someone else's food, that I've never tried prior, before I ever order it for myself)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 9:26 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

craiger wrote:
kreskin wrote:
craiger wrote:
Did you try the food?

The forum is called Restaurant Reviews, which I saw as the liberty to talk about the restaurant itself and the staff also.

I figured that it wouldn't be particularly fair to give a detailed review of the food on only their second day open and with only a limited portion of the eventual menu available at this early stage. I thought that "everything was great" was sufficient enough of a review on the food at this point.

However, if you want more, here are some observations.

If you are expecting Texas/Louisiana/Tennessee style brisket (thinly shaved after the smoking, then marinated in BBQ sauce for a couple of hours), you'll be disappointed. The brisket consists of thick slabs cut from the brisket and unadorned with any sauce (there are various sauces available on the table). It is good brisket (a touch chewier than it should be but that is likely because of the thickness of the cut), just not what I was expected after my experience with brisket at restaurants in the three mentioned states. Rave reviews from others at the table about the chicken, however. Mixed reviews (tasty but a bit dry) on the ribs. The bacon wrapped corn on the cob was a winner as a side. The Texas style brown beans were a touch too dry (sauce a bit too thick might be more accurate) but were very tasty.

But as I said, overall, everything was great. No one at the table was complaining, just offering up some comments they thought might be helpful when asked by Islandpride. Everyone was enthusiastic about returning soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 9:33 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Nomie wrote:
What did you and the three others have

I had the brisket (beans & fries as sides). Mrs. K had the back ribs (bacon wrapped corn and fries as her sides). B & L shared a three meat combo (chicken/ribs/brisket) plate with bacon wrapped corn and fries on the side. W had the two meat combo (chicken/ribs) along with bacon wrapped corn and sweet potato fries, while his wife had the mussels (which were excellent) and a few things from his plate.

Nomie wrote:
was it tasty?

Very.

Can hardly wait for the rest of the menu to come out :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 11:06 am 

kreskin wrote:
[
I had the brisket (beans & fries as sides). Mrs. K had the back ribs (bacon wrapped corn and fries as her sides). B & L shared a three meat combo (chicken/ribs/brisket) plate with bacon wrapped corn and fries on the side. W had the two meat combo (chicken/ribs) along with bacon wrapped corn and sweet potato fries, while his wife had the mussels (which were excellent) and a few things from his plate.

OMG Bacon wrapped corn on the cob!!!!! That is absolutely brilliant!!!

Thanks for the greater detail. I too was hoping for a more traditional texas style brisket, but it still sounds quite yummy (hey it is brisket after all).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 12:15 pm 
True Islander

kreskin wrote:
craiger wrote:
kreskin wrote:
craiger wrote:
Did you try the food?

The forum is called Restaurant Reviews, which I saw as the liberty to talk about the restaurant itself and the staff also.

I enjoyed the stuff about the restaurant itself and the staff but I was mainly interested in hearing about the food. I've been excited about this place since before they opened and have been waiting for someone to post a review. So I was a little disappointed you didn't mention the food.

kreskin wrote:
I figured that it wouldn't be particularly fair to give a detailed review of the food on only their second day open and with only a limited portion of the eventual menu available at this early stage. I thought that "everything was great" was sufficient enough of a review on the food at this point.

That's understandable. If you had posted this in the original thread, I wouldn't have asked about the food (I'm dying to try the place myself!). Glad to hear the details though!

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 2:41 pm 
From Away

Went to the Factory last Thursday for some birthday dinner (group of 5).

Luckily it was nice out when we chose to go so the doors/patio were wide open!

As others have mentioned, islandpride was moving about the restaurant checking up on all the tables and asking for real input and opinion on the meals that were going out.

Our meal consisted of...

2x Pitchers Canadian
1x Amarillo (?) Burger + Dirty Rice (seasoned rice with peppers, onions, and sausage)
1x Pulled Pork w/ Bacon Wrapped Corncob + Dirty Rice
1x 1/4 Smoked Chicken w/ Caesar Salad + Potato Salad
1x Quesadilla w/ Caesar Salad

I had the burger - it had nice large deepfried onion rings (x3) on the burger, and a few deepfried hot peppers (x3) as well. The burger itself was a bit plain - no dressings or veg on it other than the deepfried goods. I added the hot sauce and ketchup that comes at the table (great idea having more sauces readily available!) Taste wise, excellent, it had guacamole cooked right into the burger, other than that the only thing is it isn't the same huge Alehouse burger you may recall from a neighboring establishment, but still very satisfying. The 'dirty rice' was great, except that it was just a bit on the lukewarm side. Islandpride had actually mentioned it before I could even say anything, and promptly explained why (where it was sitting on a burner or a heat lamp was at the end and not as warm as the rest) and that it would be resolved likely that night.

I only got a bite of the Quesadilla and it was great! My friend's only comment about the 'dilla was that there was 'too much' chicken on it... so for us people who want as much chicken as can fit, this is good news!

The 1/4 smoked chicken (smallest portion you can get) was still very large. There was tons of chicken, and the sides were gigantic, so buyer beware, you may be hungry but maybe you don't need a half a chicken after all!

Pulled pork will likely be my next target. It looked delicious and again, large sides. The bacon wrapped cob received surprisingly poor reports from my friends. I guess the agreement was that the corn had sucked the bacon flavor from the bacon, leaving rubbery, bacon flavored bacon to eat, and likely fat-rich corn bites.

A few suggestions we had was little corn skewers at each table (disposable), and that it may be a benefit to have napkin containers at each seat.

Fantastic work to all the staff, we had about three different servers/managers visit our table over the course of our beers and meal to check up on us. Caring staff, delicious food, affordable prices, perfect location... seems to me you've done it again :).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 3:07 pm 
Almost an Islander

Can't wait to give this place a try. Hoping we can make it there on the weekend.

Barber, why in the frig are you using Franks Red Hot Sauce? I assume they're paying you, but you need to get some of Amiel's Island Fire there. Local, and SO much better.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 10:22 am 
Almost an Islander

Wondering where you can purchase Amile's Island Fire at??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 10:37 am 
True Islander

PEIMusicRocks wrote:
Can't wait to give this place a try. Hoping we can make it there on the weekend.

Barber, why in the frig are you using Franks Red Hot Sauce? I assume they're paying you, but you need to get some of Amiel's Island Fire there. Local, and SO much better.

My guess would be price. Huge difference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 11:10 am 
From Away

Raiders wrote:
PEIMusicRocks wrote:

My guess would be price. Huge difference.

bakers_drivers wrote:
Wondering where you can purchase Amile's Island Fire at??

Quick insert of where to buy Amiel's - http://www.maritimemadness.com/node/21

Agree, it would be pretty ridiculous if there was a selection of Amiel's at more local places, including Hunters/Factory. Maybe Amiel just needs a nudge, he seems to like good things, its a great partnership!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 6th, 2012, 11:02 pm 
Tourist

We were kid free tonight and happened by The Factory and thought we'd give it a try for a quick snack and beverage. It was steady, but not overly busy, it was the first time we were there. We sat down and a server came over to get a drink order, she asked if we were going to eat and we said yes. She came back with drinks and menus, we decided to order the potato skins that have pulled pork on them and the chicken wings. We waited, servers walked by, no one came back for about 20minutes. Someone finally came and checked on our beverages and noticed the menus and asked if we had ordered, we indicated we didn't and she promptly asked for our order, however they were out of the pork filled tater skins. We decided to wait and try their food another time.

We have heard it is good, figure just an off night. We'll try again. The boyfriend ended up getting a yummy sausage from the vendor on the street by Starbucks, he ordered one, but they guy thought he said two, and gave him them both for the price of one....and he totally enjoyed them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 8th, 2012, 12:37 pm 

Decided to try it out last night with the wife & kids and we will give it another try.

Got there at ~7:00pm and were seated right away at a booth. The maitre d (?) took our drink order but they were out of chocolate milk so my daughters begrudgingly chose root beer :lol:

One daughter just wanted appetizers so she ordered wings & a mac & cheese snack but they were out of wings so she went with the pound of mussels. She was happy overall.

Other daughter ordered the Shepard's Pie with potato salad as a side. It was huge so she ended up with a doggy bag for lunch today but she enjoyed it. They used sweet potatoes which was a nice change of pace.

Wifey ordered the chilli with dirty rice as a side. The chilli had pulled pork & brisket in it and she really liked it. Said it was spicy but not hot because they leave 4 condiments at the table for you to add your own, one of which being a hot sauce (the others are mustard, a ranch like sauce, & smoky sauce). She liked the rice but said that it wasn't "dirty" enough for her :?

I ordered the full rack of Kansas City beef ribs with potato salad & cream corn as my sides. This was the biggest issue of the night. When it came out, there were what looked like 2 stacks of ribs so I started on the top rack and they were gooooooooood!! However, underneath was actually a brisket. I called over the waitress and she was very apologetic and went to get my other rack of ribs. I tried the brisket since I figured that they would just throw it out; tasty but a little too dry for me.

When she came back, she had a half rack of the Factory pork baby back ribs. I pointed this out as soon as she set it down and she again apologized to say that they were out of The Kansas City beef ribs and asked if this was OK. I figured that I may as well give them a try but I didn't really enjoy them but at least now I know, right?

Potato salad was a little chunkier than I prefer but still tasty.

The waitress said that she would send over a manager to talk about my meal issues but there seemed to be some confusion with the manager, perhaps as much on my part. It turns out that she was someone that I went to high school with over 25 years ago so when she came over, I thought that she just recognized me and came over to say hello. We chatted about everything except the food and it wasn't until she left that it dawned on my wife & I that she was probably sent over to talk about the issue with the ribs but she never asked about my meal at all.

In the end though, she did come over with a $20 gift card to apologize for the mix up so I guess she did understand the issue.

So in the end, no chocolate milk, no wings, and ran out of Kansas city ribs but everything that we did have was quite enjoyable with huge portions and we agreed that it was worth coming back.

I, of course, had to pass around one of my Kansas City beef ribs and my daughter who ordered the appetizers is hooked and says that is her next choice! I agree.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2012, 1:45 pm 
True Islander

alandla wrote:
Decided to try it out last night with the wife & kids and we will give it another try.

Got there at ~7:00pm and were seated right away at a booth. The maitre d (?) took our drink order but they were out of chocolate milk so my daughters begrudgingly chose root beer :lol:

One daughter just wanted appetizers so she ordered wings & a mac & cheese snack but they were out of wings so she went with the pound of mussels. She was happy overall.

Other daughter ordered the Shepard's Pie with potato salad as a side. It was huge so she ended up with a doggy bag for lunch today but she enjoyed it. They used sweet potatoes which was a nice change of pace.

Wifey ordered the chilli with dirty rice as a side. The chilli had pulled pork & brisket in it and she really liked it. Said it was spicy but not hot because they leave 4 condiments at the table for you to add your own, one of which being a hot sauce (the others are mustard, a ranch like sauce, & smoky sauce). She liked the rice but said that it wasn't "dirty" enough for her :?

I ordered the full rack of Kansas City beef ribs with potato salad & cream corn as my sides. This was the biggest issue of the night. When it came out, there were what looked like 2 stacks of ribs so I started on the top rack and they were gooooooooood!! However, underneath was actually a brisket. I called over the waitress and she was very apologetic and went to get my other rack of ribs. I tried the brisket since I figured that they would just throw it out; tasty but a little too dry for me.

When she came back, she had a half rack of the Factory pork baby back ribs. I pointed this out as soon as she set it down and she again apologized to say that they were out of The Kansas City beef ribs and asked if this was OK. I figured that I may as well give them a try but I didn't really enjoy them but at least now I know, right?

Potato salad was a little chunkier than I prefer but still tasty.

The waitress said that she would send over a manager to talk about my meal issues but there seemed to be some confusion with the manager, perhaps as much on my part. It turns out that she was someone that I went to high school with over 25 years ago so when she came over, I thought that she just recognized me and came over to say hello. We chatted about everything except the food and it wasn't until she left that it dawned on my wife & I that she was probably sent over to talk about the issue with the ribs but she never asked about my meal at all.

In the end though, she did come over with a $20 gift card to apologize for the mix up so I guess she did understand the issue.

So in the end, no chocolate milk, no wings, and ran out of Kansas city ribs but everything that we did have was quite enjoyable with huge portions and we agreed that it was worth coming back.

I, of course, had to pass around one of my Kansas City beef ribs and my daughter who ordered the appetizers is hooked and says that is her next choice! I agree.

That was a good post and it sounds like they're still trying to get all the kinks out of a new system.....which is why I'm waiting for awhile before going!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 10th, 2012, 2:23 pm 

Thanks so much for all the input.

We work hard at trying to make sure your concerns are heard and if you are not happy we wanna know why and we will do our utmost to fix it!

One thing we cant control is once a meat is gone for the day, its gone! You see by smoking the meat for 12 - 24 hours you just cant pop something into the microwave for 5 minutes and use it as a substitute. Just like the top of the menu says, when its gone its gone! Just come earlier tomorrow!

After speaking to many guests we felt that the menu is bang on to rival BBQ joints across the country but we wanted to add a little more. So starting at the end of the week we will launch our new and improved menu (which really adds some items for the ladies) including Fajitas (you can't a good fajita anywhere anymore)...

Anyhow keep the feedback coming and we will love to have you!

Link to new menu:

http://www.thefactorycookhouse.com/The_ ... Blank.html

PostPosted: July 10th, 2012, 5:13 pm 
True Islander

Thanks for the menu!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 10th, 2012, 5:49 pm 
True Islander

Dammit Doyle - I really need to get in and tear into some ribs.

Just got to fit it into the budget somewhere soon.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 13th, 2012, 7:42 am 
Almost an Islander

A group of us went here last night.

Myself, and another person I was with got the 2 meat and 2 sides meal, and both had ribs and pulled pork with baked beans and bacon wrapped corn on the cob. I found my ribs just a LITTLE bit dry, but they were still quite delicious, and the pulled pork was fantastic. The baked beans as a side were easily the best I've ever tasted, and would get them again for sure. I wasn't overly impressed with my bacon wrapped corn on the cob, it was kind of bland and the bacon was soggy. It wasn't bad, just not as good as I'd hoped, and I'd try something else next time.

The girls we were with both got quesadillas, one had the pork and the other had the chicken. Both remarked on how dry the quesadillas were. The chicken especially, and the pork was in big chunks, as opposed to a kind of pulled pork they were hoping for, definitely something that needs to be worked on.

I must say the service was absolutely top notch, but I've never had anything better than excellent service at any of Steve's establishments. The perks of being a loyal customer for so many years I suppose. We were never left without drinks and had three different people come over to check and make sure we were enjoying our food. Really can't say enough about how excellent the service was.

The total for the two meals, two pints of beer and a cocktail was just over $50. Pretty much on par with what you'd pay elsewhere.

There are still a few kinks to work out it seems, but I really enjoyed my meal and have leftovers for lunch today!

PostPosted: July 13th, 2012, 5:48 pm 

Unfortunately we were unable to achieve all the product we needed to start our new menu today we will be gearing up for the new menu on Tuesday now thank you