Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Fresh Fish
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2014, 7:24 pm 

Was wondering today how many Island restaurants actually serve fresh fish?
Seems rather strange .We live on an Island and most places serve us the same frozen garbage . From who knows where !

Post subject: Re: Fresh Fish
PostPosted: August 24th, 2014, 9:14 am 

Sawchain wrote:
Seems rather strange .We live on an Island and most places serve us the same frozen garbage . From who knows where !

Can you imaging what tourists must think, especially when they're lured here with the the impression that fresh fish is abundantly available.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 25th, 2014, 9:02 am 

I agree, pretty sad that a lot of these places are selling assembly food instead of local fish products.

Gotta do your home work to find good food I guess. If I am not sure I often ask if they batter it themselves, typically lets you know what type of fish they are serving.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2014, 10:08 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Sawchain wrote:

Coincidentally, I was standing in line at Richard's yesterday listening to some tourists complain about the same thing ... how hard it was to find fresh fish or "homemade" french fries in a province that prides itself on its seafood and potatoes.

You said Island restaurants ... and I can think of many off the top of my head that exist in small towns and villages all over the Island. Places like Richard's (Covehead) or Rick's (St. Peter's) or Brehaut's (Murray Harbour), Clam Diggers (Georgetown), and others.

But I can think of very few in Charlottetown.

I think the problem is in finding Charlottetown restaurants that serve up fresh fish (or "real" french fries) since, let's face it, that is where the majority of locals or tourists are when they are looking to dine out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 25th, 2014, 7:19 pm 
Almost an Islander

i'm pretty sure Sam's batter their own, used to anyway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 27th, 2014, 9:11 pm 

Not a restaurant but if you want the freshest aside from catching it yourself, buy fresh fish from someone like MR Seafoods, then buy some island potatoes and a somewhat healthy oil like sunflower oil, buy a french fry cutter or sharpen your knife, cut fries, blanch them, then deep fry(google for help). Then decide on a batter for the fish (plenty of recipes out there, google once again) and deep fry, or find a nice pan fry recipe(check out lemon sole in the recipe section of this site, delicious! and I should add very healthy and is the only fish my non-fish liking wife will eat!). I refuse to buy seafood in a restaurant outside of seafood pasta from Buono Mangia, I can match their seafood, but can't come close to their pasta!

PostPosted: August 27th, 2014, 9:15 pm 

Not the easiest to find the Lemon Sole recipe as posted by original poster in the recipe section so here it is, this works for any white fish and is absolutely delicious!

Here's the Lemon Sole recipe for you:

Ingredients
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
4 large sole fillets
flour for dredging
salt
juice of one lemon

Preparation
• lightly salt the fillets
• dredge fish in flour, shaking off excess
• heat a large nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil
• once oil is very hot, add fish to pan; cook for about 4 minutes on each side until fish is nicely browned
• with fish in the pan, add the lemon juice and swirl around until the juice thickens into a silky sauce

Enjoy! And again, I really do apologize for not keeping up with the blog...

Keep in mind Olive oil has a higher smoke point than Extra Virgin Olive oil. I have used both with success, but liked the higher temp cooking with the plain olive oil a little more!

PostPosted: April 7th, 2015, 2:37 am 
Tourist

Skips Fish & Chips in Summerside uses fresh haddock - never frozen.. and they cut and cook their own fries.. again non-frozen. This I can guarantee.. we've been eating there most fridays since he opened several years ago. The parking lot has some pot holes so be careful driving, but definitely worth the drive if you want fresh cut/cooked fries with hand-dipped fresh never frozen haddock... and as a side note, your 1 piece order consists of the entire haddock fillet. Not cut in half like some places. You get the full 10" / 11" fillet with two extremely generous scoops of french fries. You can call your pick up orders ahead if you like 436-5151 and he will have it ready for you, or you can dine in. Open Tues - Sat 11am-7pm and come early Friday nights as locals can be found lined up outside the door. Best fish & chips we've had this side of Ontario.. hands down !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 20th, 2015, 9:03 am 

mosiegirl wrote:
Skips Fish & Chips in Summerside uses fresh haddock - never frozen.. and they cut and cook their own fries.. again non-frozen. This I can guarantee.. we've been eating there most fridays since he opened several years ago. The parking lot has some pot holes so be careful driving, but definitely worth the drive if you want fresh cut/cooked fries with hand-dipped fresh never frozen haddock... and as a side note, your 1 piece order consists of the entire haddock fillet. Not cut in half like some places. You get the full 10" / 11" fillet with two extremely generous scoops of french fries. You can call your pick up orders ahead if you like 436-5151 and he will have it ready for you, or you can dine in. Open Tues - Sat 11am-7pm and come early Friday nights as locals can be found lined up outside the door. Best fish & chips we've had this side of Ontario.. hands down !

My wife and I tried Skips out on Saturday.Never knew the place existed before reading your post.
We were very happy with our meals .both had the fish and chips and everything was exactly as you described. This will now be our go to restaurant in Summerside.
:D