* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sim's Steakhouse
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2010, 8:16 pm 
True Islander

Went with a client tonight, unreal. We got steak and I must say I was very impressed, now only if he was as impressed with me quote :)

Post subject: Re: Sim's Steakhouse
PostPosted: May 16th, 2010, 2:41 pm 

I was skeptical about Simms for a long time because of their menu.
If you are a steakhouse then be a steakhouse.
Don't try to be something for everyone.

That being said, they have had a pretty big shuffle in the people in charge.

I was in for dinner a few weeks ago for the first time.
I asked to speak to the chef and he recommended a steak that wasn't on the menu.
16oz rib steak, aged for 70 days in house.
$55.

I figured why not.

We had the Caesar Salad.
It was good but I don't generally order this. The homemade bacon makes it worth while.
Also had some garlic shrimp which were very good in a nice rich sauce.

My wife had the special of the night which I think was Halibut. I don't remember the details but it was very well prepared.

I had the rib steak.

This was as good as any steak I've had.
I won't say it was better than the steaks I've had at places like Barberians or Hy's or Harbour Sixty, but it was every bit as good as those locations and at $55 it was somewhat cheaper.

A huge piece of seared foie gras and some onion rings topped it off.

Amazing meal.

Not something I would be able to go out for often but it sure is good to know that it is available here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 13th, 2010, 5:33 pm 
Almost an Islander

timeforchange wrote:
I was skeptical about Simms for a long time because of their menu.
If you are a steakhouse then be a steakhouse.
Don't try to be something for everyone.

That being said, they have had a pretty big shuffle in the people in charge.

I was in for dinner a few weeks ago for the first time.
I asked to speak to the chef and he recommended a steak that wasn't on the menu.
16oz rib steak, aged for 70 days in house.
$55.

I figured why not.

We had the Caesar Salad.
It was good but I don't generally order this. The homemade bacon makes it worth while.
Also had some garlic shrimp which were very good in a nice rich sauce.

My wife had the special of the night which I think was Halibut. I don't remember the details but it was very well prepared.

I had the rib steak.

This was as good as any steak I've had.
I won't say it was better than the steaks I've had at places like Barberians or Hy's or Harbour Sixty, but it was every bit as good as those locations and at $55 it was somewhat cheaper.

A huge piece of seared foie gras and some onion rings topped it off.

Amazing meal.

Not something I would be able to go out for often but it sure is good to know that it is available here.

I was wondering about this place. I haven't heard much stir and I'm wanting to try a new place. You make it sound like a pretty good spot as I'm a seafood lover and my husband, he lovesss steak!

Anybody else try this place yet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 7:58 pm 
Almost an Islander

I am marrying a "steakavore" so I have been to Sims about five times. I have been consistently impressed. The staff is knowledgeable about wine pairing, the oysters are always fresh, and they know how to make a steak RARE which is hard to find. (Not RAW... RARE!!! There's a difference!!! And this chef knows that!) The chowder was good, had the mussels (nothing to write home about, mussels are mussels)...

I have always ordered steak - tried the ribeye and love it, and tried the pepper steak. I would never order the pepper steak again as I found the pepper just too overpowering to the meaty flavour - but was great nonetheless. Ribeye all the way!!! We are actually heading there this friday as well, so time to try a new one!! Seared fois gras sounds heavenly ... might ask for that too.

We have only had dessert once as I do not have a sweet tooth. We split a chocolate orange torte - and fought over the last piece. It was bittersweet and just scented with orange.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2010, 9:24 am 
Tourist

Went there last night after a rather uninspiring 1st visit shortly after the restaurant opened a few years ago. What an amazing difference! The food was delicious - albeit rather BIG portions. (The Caesar salad could be a main course!) I opted for 2 first courses and dessert - and was more than full by the evening's end! My husband couldn't finish his meal and ended up bringing some of it home. We had cocktails and wine that were nicely presented and fairly priced. Our server was attentive, but not hovering. Will definitely return!

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 9:13 am 

For me, Sims is a once a year event, but it is worth it if you like paying fro quality. The atmosphere is great too. Steak has been perfectly cooked every time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 11th, 2011, 12:37 pm 
From Away

Oh wow! Thanks for all these awesome reviews!

I've been dying to try the place, but I know it would cost a pretty penny and was always hesitant. This makes me even more eager to give the place a shot. Perhaps this sooner than later now!

https://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyDriverPEI

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 8:09 pm 

My husband and I are vegetarian, so naturally we wouldn't eat at a steakhouse, but we found out that the chef will make a vegetarian meal on request and I have to say it was amazing! We both had a pasta dish (fresh pasta) with an out of this world cheese sauce and grilled vegetables. I could easily eat it every time we go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 8:45 pm 
Almost an Islander

It's nice to know that the restaurant cares enough about its clientele to make sure EVERYONE gets something delicious. A steakhouse catering to vegetarians made my night.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 4:27 pm 
Newly Created Account

I usually find that a 'rare' steak isn't exactly rare. Most places tend to push it closer to medium rare than true rare. I believe rare should be cool in the center.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 21st, 2011, 12:07 am 
From Away

a rare steak shoudn't be cool in the center.

you may want to order your steak blue rare if you like it cool in the center.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 8:14 am 

We went there for Mother's Day and we will not be back.

Good:

Meat quality was perfect, It just does not get better than that.
Oysters were nice, both raw and cooked.
Red wine was the right temperature which is rare thing in Island restaurants.

Bad:

Tuna steak was under-cooked. Also, it was the only thing on the plate. I would expect some kind of side or decoration with it.

Steak was overcooked. I asked for "blue rare" and got the steak that was white in the middle with a bit of pink.

My wife had something they serve instead of salmon (forgot what is was) and it was overcooked and dry.

Mussels were blend, overcooked and had couple "stinkies".

One of other patrons had a cough fit. That lasted for about 10 minutes and sounded horrible. It made me want to gag and completely ruined our experience.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 8:58 am 

sasha wrote:

One of other patrons had a cough fit. That lasted for about 10 minutes and sounded horrible. It made me want to gag and completely ruined our experience.

Well, that's not exactly the restaurant's fault!

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 9:08 am 

peislandgirl wrote:
sasha wrote:

Well, that's not exactly the restaurant's fault!

They did nothing about it. They could have asked person to leave, ask them to go to washroom, call 911, or at least apologize to other customers. Do something.

To be fair, this happened after I put one of "stinky" mussels in my mouth, which on it's own already activated my gagging reflex.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 9:17 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

sasha wrote:
, call 911,

Seriously? :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 9:23 am 

Armetis wrote:
sasha wrote:
, call 911,

Yes, if someone is coughing for 10 minutes and it sounds like they will cough their lungs out, it could be bad asthma attack or some allergic reaction. Calling 911 would make sense, if not for any other reason, than at least for liability sake.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 11:25 am 

sasha wrote:
Armetis wrote:
sasha wrote:
, call 911,

Yes, if someone is coughing for 10 minutes and it sounds like they will cough their lungs out, it could be bad asthma attack or some allergic reaction. Calling 911 would make sense, if not for any other reason, than at least for liability sake.

If it was that bad, I would have thought a few kindly patrons also may have gotten up to help [-X

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 11:36 am 

alandla wrote:
sasha wrote:
Armetis wrote:
sasha wrote:
, call 911,

If it was that bad, I would have thought a few kindly patrons also may have gotten up to help [-X

How would you help?

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 11:50 am 

sasha wrote:
alandla wrote:
sasha wrote:
Armetis wrote:
sasha wrote:
, call 911,

How would you help?

Somebody else mentioned that They could have asked person to leave, ask them to go to washroom, call 911, or at least apologize to other customers. Do something.

The point is that anybody could have helped besides the waiter, if the situation was that bad. It's hard to hold a restaurant to blame for that situation.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 12:27 pm 

alandla wrote:
sasha wrote:
alandla wrote:
sasha wrote:
Armetis wrote:
sasha wrote:
, call 911,

How would you help?

Somebody else mentioned that They could have asked person to leave, ask them to go to washroom, call 911, or at least apologize to other customers. Do something.

The point is that anybody could have helped besides the waiter, if the situation was that bad. It's hard to hold a restaurant to blame for that situation.

I mentioned those things and I think when I am paying $250 for lunch it is not too much to expect that restaurant stuff can and should handle this.