Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Taco Bar at Chartwells UPEI for $4.99 [Remind Me]

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Sim's Steakhouse
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 12:30 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

And what was their response to all of the complaints that you listed?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 12:48 pm 

Maybe the staff didn't want to ask another person who was paying $250 for lunch to leave. I know i wouldn't.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 12:52 pm 

Armetis wrote:

I did not really complain. Waitress did notice that I did not eat mussels, so she asked why, and after I told her, she said that she will remove it from the bill. I did not complain about the rest of food as at that point I just wanted to leave that place as soon as possible. As I was paying I said that I am leaving tip to waitress and not for the food as it was not satisfactory at all.

Complaining there cannot really get me anything. Food was not well prepared and entire experience was just bad. I will not visit that place again.

Just for the record ... I am rather easy going in restaurants. I do not complain, do not return food and do understand that mistakes can happen. We have plenty restaurants around here and enough choices that when one place disappoints we can simply go some place else.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 12:58 pm 

peislandgirl wrote:
Maybe the staff didn't want to ask another person who was paying $250 for lunch to leave. I know i wouldn't.

I was not the only one bothered with this. As I looked around I saw other patrons looking around too, making disgusted faces. I do not think any of them will remember that dining experience as positive.

At the end of the day, I would avoid Sim's anyway regardless on this incident as food was simply not well prepared.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 3:44 pm 

Bad food or rude staff are perfectly valid. It's a tough call finding fault with the restaurant over an issue with another patron.

Personally it would have annoyed the hell out of me as I have a low tolerance for people in general :lol: but I couldn't really fault anyone but the rude customer in this situation.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 10:57 pm 
From Away

Are you saying that you ordered a "blue rare" steak, and got what you described as a medium well steak, and didn't complain?

I don't know if I believe that happened, just me.

The coughing thing clearly was out of the restaurant's control.

You said your tuna was undercooked, fresh tuna is generally served rare in this type of restaurant, were you aware of that when you ordered it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 4th, 2011, 12:36 am 

buckwheat wrote:
Are you saying that you ordered a "blue rare" steak, and got what you described as a medium well steak, and didn't complain?

I don't know if I believe that happened, just me.

You can believe whatever you want to believe. I got great piece of meat but it was way overcooked considering what I asked for. As I said, at that point I just wanted to be done with all thing. I still had taste of bad mussel in my mouth and coughing was still going on. I may or may not eat it, but I just do not return food in restaurants. The only time I returned something was on Water Street in that place across Delta hotel when I found piece of plastic in my pasta.
Quote:
The coughing thing clearly was out of the restaurant's control.

No it was not. There were things stuff could do and they did not. If none of the other things I mentioned before, they could have at least apologize to other patrons.
Quote:
You said your tuna was undercooked, fresh tuna is generally served rare in this type of restaurant, were you aware of that when you ordered it?

Tuna steak, the same as meat steak, is cooked to order. That steak was for my son. He asked for well done. It was rare. That is undercooked.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2011, 5:43 am 

sasha wrote:
Armetis wrote:

I did not really complain.

Complaining there cannot really get me anything.

I dont understand why you did not complain there but cannot seem to stop complaining about it here. If you didnt bring things to their attention, then your wasted money and frustrating experience is mostly your own fault.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 4th, 2011, 8:34 am 

Yesitsme wrote:
sasha wrote:
Armetis wrote:

I did not really complain.

Complaining there cannot really get me anything.

I dont understand why you did not complain there but cannot seem to stop complaining about it here. If you didnt bring things to their attention, then your wasted money and frustrating experience is mostly your own fault.

I am not complaining here. I wrote review of my experience in that place and a few people keep asking me questions about it to which I keep responding. As for me not returning the food, I just cannot make myself throw food to waste. They served, as I said in my first post, high quality piece of meat, they just did not cook it right. I was still able to eat it. Throwing it into garbage would be wasteful and it would have prolonged entire, already unpleasant, affair.

Well, I did have enough of this and this is my last post in the thread.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2011, 4:39 pm 
Almost an Islander

Well done tuna steak? Ick.

Sure, you might not like to see food go to waste, but you can't be totally oblivious to the fact that sometimes things go wrong in restaurants and if you don't say anything it's really hard for them to improve upon it. Tell me that in your profession, whatever it may be, that you've never had a day where things have gone wrong.

Also, food didn't need to be wasted if you complained. They could have simply not charged you for the items you were unsatisfied with. I don't buy this "I just wanted it to be over" stuff.

Finally, I don't understand why someone couldn't have asked a server to check in on this coughing bandit. It's probably a rare and awkward situation for everyone involved, but if it bothered you as much as you say it did then you could have just brought it up to a member of staff so they could act accordingly.

But I suppose posting this is futile since you've already declared you're done with the topic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 8th, 2011, 3:37 am 
Newly Created Account

modgirl wrote:
My husband and I are vegetarian, so naturally we wouldn't eat at a steakhouse, but we found out that the chef will make a vegetarian meal on request and I have to say it was amazing! We both had a pasta dish (fresh pasta) with an out of this world cheese sauce and grilled vegetables. I could easily eat it every time we go.

Wow! I'm assuming that you've been a vegetarian for a very long time! A newer vegetarian would have been tempted at a steakhouse!

Question, though. How do they age their meats? Dry or wet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 8th, 2011, 7:58 am 
True Islander

Boocegub wrote:
Question, though. How do they age their meats? Dry or wet?

They do both. Chef Michael Smith talked to the chef at Sim's about it on an episode of food country. He did a blind taste test to see if he could tell which steak was aged wet and which one was aged dry. He got it right. Both looked delicious!

PostPosted: January 7th, 2013, 11:23 pm 
True Islander

Ate here for the second time last night. They had a date night special on all weekend. Share an app, a dessert and you got two mains for $65 (only two choices for each). My wife and I started with the shrimp bomb which with a chipotle butter sauce. It was very spicy. I am not a fan of spicy food so this wasn't that appealing to me.

The main was an 8oz striploin with red wine demi glaze topped by a creamy scallop sauce. It was delicious, although the demiz glaze was overpowered by the creamy scallop sauce. I almost would have preferred the scallop sauce to be in a seperate dish because the demi glaze was so good. But it was a delicious combination! It came with some perfectly done asparagus and mashed potatoes.

We ended with the chocolate torte with vanilla whipped cream. Great way to finish off a fine dining experience.

The service was top notch. My wife didn't know what wine to get and the server made a suggestion that was bang on. My wife really enjoyed it and commented to me that she'd like to pick some up at the liquor store. Without even asking, our waitress had written the name of the wine on our bill along with a little note thanking us for coming. Those kinds of touches go a long way for me.

Along with the meal, we had a glass of wine and I had a bottle of Keith's (couldn't order anything on tap for some reason) and we finished with a couple of cafe latties. Came to $99 which is a great deal for this place.

They will be offering this meal again for winterdine and I'd highly recommend it. I'd go with the perogies for the starter next time though!

PostPosted: January 7th, 2013, 11:33 pm 
True Islander

New chef since you were last there. Young guy doing a good job.
Debbie the sommelier is great as always.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 8th, 2013, 9:34 pm 
True Islander

6 of us ate here tonight for a special occasion. Had reservations, and the placed us at a table for 4, and a table for 2 a hort distance away. Wtf?

We ordered 5 winter dine specials, and one tenderloin. As we were ordering, the server completely missed 1 person, and as she started to say her order, the server cut her off and started to ask the rest how they wanted there steaks done. One of the men in the group had to tell the server to take her order.

When that lady orderd her tenderloin, and said well done, the server tried to talk her out of getting it well done, saying the best flavour was blah, blah blah. Hello? she wants it well done. Give it to her well done.

Apps came out, spring rolls, excellent! Highly recommend them

Steaks came out, mine was ordered med, it came out charcol on both sides. A couple of other people had the same issue. The tenderloin was ordered well, it came out at best, med rare. Garlic mashed had little to no garlic.

If there was a bright spot in the meal, it was the desert. A brownie with ice cream.

BAck to the service...meals came out, served by another server, who, had enough manners to say " excuse my reach as she leaned in front. the original server just reached right across... but the real kicker, one gentleman was reading the menu , she asked if we would like wine, the ladies said yes, the server went to look for the wine list, and in doing so, picked the menu up from in front of the gentleman and looked under it as he was reading it. WTF?

I read another review on Sims winterdine , and that person, indicated that they beleived service had a lot to be desireed, i concur. If Sims is going to try to be high end, they should serve as high end. Quite frankly, i would have expected this type of service from Maid Marions or Sams, but not from a restaurant with a 300.00 bill for the meal attached.

Quite frankly, its a shame the Pilot House was booked.

Perhaps the Murphy's should send there servers to Bueno Mangia for service lessons.

4/10.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2013, 10:09 pm 

I'd be pissed...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 9th, 2013, 1:02 am 

Agreed on the service comment. Sims has the potential to be a great steakhouse in Ch'town but consistently misses the mark - especially on service. Call me pretentious, but when I'm paying $$$ for a meal I don't want "hey how are ya?!" service - which I find is what I almost always get from Sims.