* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper Wing Night at St. James Gate for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Buy One Get One Wings at The Factory Cookhouse & Dancehall for $9.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Buck-a-Bone Ribs at The Factory Cookhouse & Dancehall for $1.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Smittys
PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 12:25 am 
Almost an Islander

Never impresses me.

Had the eggs benedict last time I went, with a fruit salad. The fruit was obviously from a bucket... all tasted like melon, even the grapes. The eggs benedict - english muffin was soggy, egg was lukewarm at best, and the hollandaise sauce was a very dark orange-y yellow colour and had separated from the butter for the most part.

I did eat it, didn't complain, didn't expect a discount or anything. I went on a whim, thinking "Well, I have never been impressed before. Maybe I should give it another chance."
No good. Just no good.

Post subject: Re: Smittys
PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 4:10 pm 
True Islander

I remember it being fantastic when I was a kid, now it's just average greasy spoon type fair. They don't even do pan fried hash browns anymore, just the deep fried ones.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 6:52 pm 

I've posted before about how disappointed I've been with Smitty's over the past 3 years or so. Used to go for their skillets-- last couple of times we went place was dirty, staff indifferent, (foof was ok I will say) and it had a general rundown look to it. A real shame.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 6th, 2010, 5:00 pm 
True Islander

Food was not good for us. We were in for breakfast yesterday, been over a year since I had been there. I thought I’d give the place a second chance. It does look dog-eared. The coffee was like crude oil. I had the mushroom, bacon and cheese omelet. The eggs were cold, the mushrooms were soggy and the toast was burnt. I ate less then half of the order. No saving this place and I have no hesitation to tell everyone to stay away.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2010, 10:28 am 

I too recall it being the best place my parents could take me when I was a kid. I went there a few weeks ago to see if I could rekindle the nostalgia and it was terrible. The service was slow, the food/drink was mediocre and the prices were pretty high yet the place was still packed.

Coras has a much better atmosphere and quality food imo

PostPosted: January 14th, 2010, 6:18 pm 

Service has been on the decline for some time. Nice to see Brooke's units were put to good use!

PostPosted: January 14th, 2010, 8:25 pm 
True Islander

think brooke has been out of smittys for 3 years or more. beleive he got out shortly after he bought into the bed& breakfast.

i beleive one of the cooks and a h ostess own it now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 15th, 2010, 9:39 am 

Partly right. Some of the staff bought in but Brooke's still part owner. Either way it's not the spot it once was which is too bad because it used to be a really nice place to go. Hopefully it's not too late to turn the place around.

http://closedcorporations.org/ca/pe/corporation/9222

MACZAK HOLDINGS LTD.
Restaurant

c/o Smitty's Family Restaurant
449 University AvenueCharlottetown, PE
C1A 8K3 [MAP]

Shareholders, Directors and Officers

Bro-Ken Investments Ltd.
449 University Avenue Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 8K3 [MAP]

Cindy MacDonald
President
3307 St. Catherines Road Long Creek, Prince Edward Island C0A 1H0 [MAP]

someone with this name is also a shareholder or officer of:
CDM CO. LTD. PROVINCIAL
LITTLE MAC PIZZA LTD. PROVINCIAL
MACZAK HOLDINGS LTD. PROVINCIAL

Melanie Parker
75 Brackley Point Road Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 6Y3 [MAP]

M. PARKER HOLDINGS INC. PROVINCIAL
MACZAK HOLDINGS LTD. PROVINCIAL

Yang, Jing Xin
c/o CICI, Suite 1300, Cogswell Tower 2000 Barrington Street Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J3K1 [MAP]

http://closedcorporations.org/ca/pe/corporation/9220

BRO-KEN INVESTMENTS LTD.
Restaurant

c/o Smitty's Family Restaurant
449 University AvenueCharlottetown, PE
C1A8K3 [MAP]

Shareholders, Directors and Officers

Brooke MacMillan
President
40 Greenfield Avenue Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 3N4 [MAP]

100371 P.E.I. INC. PROVINCIAL
BRO-KEN INVESTMENTS LTD. PROVINCIAL
Owns Interest In
MACZAK HOLDINGS LTD.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 8:21 pm 
Newly Created Account

Well I know Brooke doesn't have any part in it anymore, because of his position with the government he's not allowed to be in on a business. I believe that Cindy Macdonald owns is for the most part along with one other owner. I have to say that I visit Smitty's quite often and don't have much to complain about. Every restaurant will let you down from time to time. Nothing can meet our huge expectations every time we visit. I personally really enjoy the staff, they know me by name and I don't even have to tell them my order, they tell it to me! In my opinion it's a great place to eat! I've noticed that they have tons of regulars and I've also noticed the staff that eat there when they're not on duty so the place can't be that bad!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 9:09 pm 
From Away

I will never eat at Smitty's for the rest of my life, as I have seen inside their kitchen. I'm amazed they're open.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 9:16 pm 
Newly Created Account

It's funny, you guys talk about the kitchen and the general appearance of smitty's....well what about maid marions......at least smitty's has a nice presentable atmosphere. maid marions was a hole.....you could see the kitchen from the dining room and it was pretty bad....I've eaten there twice and will never go back, but despite the rundown dining room, and the service staff that were almost down right rude, the place was a huge success....I don't get it!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 10:51 pm 

[quote="peigrl"]Well I know Brooke doesn't have any part in it anymore, because of his position with the government he's not allowed to be in on a business. /quote]

So cabinet ministers can have business interests in a blind trust, but the head of the LCC can't?

I find that very, very hard to believe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 10:54 pm 
Newly Created Account

Not saying it's true, just what i've heard....but as a regular customer at smitty's i do know for certain that Brooke doesn't own any part of it...he sold his share about 2 years ago.....it now belongs to Cindy MacDonald.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 19th, 2010, 10:09 am 
From Away

Smittys had been a favorite place to eat for my family for years and I do mean alot of years.It was always the first choice and never had a complaint, anyone that goes there now relaizes that something is very wrong. The food is always overcooked, undercooked or just tastes bad, the cups are dirty and the place just looks dirty most of the time.If changes are not made soon this place will not be around.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2010, 11:40 am 

CM wrote:
Smittys had been a favorite place to eat for my family for years and I do mean a lot of years. It was always the first choice and never had a complaint, anyone that goes there now realizes that something is very wrong. The food is always overcooked, undercooked or just tastes bad, the cups are dirty and the place just looks dirty most of the time.If changes are not made soon this place will not be around.

I have to agree with this post. We've been going to Smitty's since it first opened and I've always enjoyed it, until the last few years, for the reasons listed above.

Unfortunately, I still have to go as my 9 year olds ask every once in a while as a treat for supper or brunch :)

I just cringe and hope that this is the day that it gets better but not so far.......

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2010, 12:23 pm 
From Away

peigrl wrote:
maid marions was a hole.....

Mmmm.. Maid Marions. I liked it there, it was a well known as a greasy diner. It's not like anyone was fooled. Compare their menu to Smittys... At least Maids only charged you 5$ for a plate full of grease. Looking at the Smittys menu you might expect something more.

I really miss Maids.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 3:35 pm 

My husband and I went here on a whim a few weeks ago. The food was OK but overpriced for what we got. Service was terrible even though the place was almost empty. We waited 10 minutes just to get our water glasses filled and another ten to have the waitress actually come to take our order.
Can't wait until Maid Marion's is back!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 3:47 pm 

Interesting sentiments here re Smitty's-- most times people on the board hate a restaurant and really go off on it. With Smitty's, and I include myself here, it's more just a disappointent in how things have gone downhill. A place most of us used to really like to go to.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 18th, 2010, 4:41 pm 
Newly Created Account

You people obviously have nothing better to do than complain!!did any of you actually complain while you were in the restaurant???probably not, you would rather complain after the fact where as I am sure if you had problems at this restaurant they would have corrected it for you, as most places do...or maybe you only like your own cooking and are never satisfied...if that is the case you shouldn't go out to eat...I am a person who travels alot and eat in many restaurants,yes have had the bad meal here and there but I give them the benefit of the doubt...mistakes happen...
furthermore people are going on about the ownership of this restaurant...who cares about that,obviously SOMEONE does quite a bit...seems like there is a hate on for the supposed FORMER owner,why I don't know ,but it seems quite personal...but seriously people grow up!!! all establishments in the customer service industry are struggling to make a buck here and there,there is alot of competion out there, so stop trying to hurt them..Let people decide for themselves...

PostPosted: February 18th, 2010, 5:52 pm 
True Islander

rant&rave wrote:
You people obviously have nothing better to do than complain!!did any of you actually complain while you were in the restaurant???probably not, you would rather complain after the fact where as I am sure if you had problems at this restaurant they would have corrected it for you, as most places do...or maybe you only like your own cooking and are never satisfied...if that is the case you shouldn't go out to eat...I am a person who travels alot and eat in many restaurants,yes have had the bad meal here and there but I give them the benefit of the doubt...mistakes happen...
furthermore people are going on about the ownership of this restaurant...who cares about that,obviously SOMEONE does quite a bit...seems like there is a hate on for the supposed FORMER owner,why I don't know ,but it seems quite personal...but seriously people grow up!!! all establishments in the customer service industry are struggling to make a buck here and there,there is alot of competion out there, so stop trying to hurt them..Let people decide for themselves...

and agreed on the ownership, however,

this is a restaurant review forum, and people are suppposed to post how there meal/service/experience is at a particular establishment. it seems thats whats being done here, and if the reviews dont sound well as to the quality of food/service, thats too bad. it is the customers money, and it is there right to post there expereince regardless .

Profile E-mail