* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2008, 10:09 pm 
Chicken, peaches and pears were ... ok. Worth $5.

The Grilled Fajitas .. YUMMY ....

Sweet & Sour Pork is coming to work for supper tonight. And looks like it is going to be my favorite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2008, 10:14 pm 
Quote:
Real Meals is an Island company specializing in delivering delicious gourmet meals to the people of Charlottetown. We use fresh, locally grown produce and the finest ingredients to create delectable meals that you can heat in your oven or microwave.

I wonder if anyone has ever questioned this statement from the website?
Not a lot of fresh local produce these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2008, 10:31 pm 

K.La and I along with another friend ordered some food from real meals.

We were hungry/wanting to try a few of their dishes so all together we ordered:

Grilled fajitas
Curry chicken and noodles
Taters with the works
Chicken stirfy

The first thing I will say is that the portions are more than enough, I honestly don't know how they make money selling these for $5 each.

The Fajitas were pretty good. Chicken, green pepper and onion. A bit bland, but they do include a little cup of salsa, which helps. There was a huge amount of rice. Would be nice if they included some soy sauce as the rice was just plain white rice, but for $5 I can't really complain. The fajitas are sitting on top of the rice, which sticks to them when you go to eat them. Kind of annoying and would be better if they packaged them side by side.

Curry Chicken, I had a small taste of. Nice white breast meat chicken. I found this to be quite bland. There is only a small amount of curry sauce, which leaves you eating most of the pasta plain. Decent mixed veggies.

Taters with the works.. Huge Huge portion. Must have weighed 2lbs. I found it tasty. Tators topped with ground beef, carrots, peas and corn, mashed potatoes (which i thought was weird) all mixed into a gravy. I seriously couldn't get over how big of a portion it was.

Chicken Stirfry. I only had a small taste of this as well. It was just ok. My least favorite of everything. I found it very bland and it was mostly rice with a small amount of chicken and veggies. The sauce was strange, clear sort of pastey tasting.

Overall, everything was pretty good. I still can't get over the price. Our delivery came just after 10am. Guy was polite and the food was well wrapped and decently presented. My only complaint is that I found all the food to be under seasoned/bland. Will try again, looking forward to the crepes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2008, 12:11 pm 
Almost an Islander

Says they been in business since 98. I dont know how they make money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2008, 3:58 pm 

peislander wrote:

Me neither. We ordered from today for some hangover food tomorrow. How did you like the sweet and sour pork, coug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2008, 4:22 pm 
Gunit wrote:
peislander wrote:

Me neither. We ordered from today for some hangover food tomorrow. How did you like the sweet and sour pork, coug?

YUMMY and filling ... and going to be ordered for tomorrow!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2008, 4:26 pm 
The lack of spices is a good thing too .. people then can season to their own tastes ...

Now I am sure I had a soya sauce pack in mine where I got it ... I really dont remember. I enjoyed the flavor as it was ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2008, 4:41 pm 

Quote:

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago..I wasn't overly impressed..The portions were good but the food was bland. The Lasagna had no cheese in it which I found to be extremely strange..The Chili macaroni was good, had three helpings from one $5 meal..I would order again just because of convenience and price..

As for them staying in business I suspect they rely heavily on tips..They can charge $5 for the meal and delivery but because the food is so cheap they usually get a good tip..I know I tipped $5 for two meals..It's probably the same people running the place who deliver since everything is prepared one day then delivered early the next day..Good idea and no doubt they make up for underpricing through tipping..very good idea imo..

Post subject: Re: Real Meals delivered for $5
PostPosted: September 16th, 2011, 1:17 pm 
From Away

Anybody have any recent experiences?

PostPosted: September 16th, 2011, 1:54 pm 

Wow, I never heard of this before. I'm also interested if they are still in business and if there have been any recent experiences.

Hard to believe you could deliver a quality meal for $5 with tax and delivery included.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2011, 3:27 pm 

Yes they are still in business with the same $5 price

Their website is: http://www.realmeals.ca/index.htm

PostPosted: April 28th, 2016, 7:56 am 
Tourist

Is this place still in business? I tried to send an email but it bounced back as "mailbox unavailable"?

It might be a good option for seniors a few times a week...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2016, 10:29 pm 
Almost an Islander

I think the last time I used this service was around a year ago; they prefer for you to call them on the phone. They like to receive the call the day before you want the food delivered, and call before 5 PM. The price is $6, now.
It wouldn't hurt to give them a call; if they are not in business anymore, he'll just tell you. Really nice man, and a great cook :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 5th, 2016, 2:53 am 
From Away

I went to the website http://www.realmeals.ca/ It says besides the posted menu you can call to ask about the specials ,but I also see they announce the specials on Twitter @WhatsOnSpecial.
They deliver to the greater Charlottetown area ,but I'm in Stratford :( so can't try it out.
Would be an awesome service for seniors or anyone who is housebound

I don't know how they can deliver for such a low price considering the distance and gas prices