PEI Talk
http://www.peiinfo.com/forums/

Reading Reviews
http://www.peiinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14427
Page 1 of 2

Author:  jmweb [ October 10th, 2007, 12:02 am ]
Post subject:  Reading Reviews

What fields do you feel should be mandatory when writing reviews?

Author:  paella [ October 10th, 2007, 6:39 am ]
Post subject: 

Do you mean in a database or a form type function? Ie: Restaurant Name, Date Attended, Food Rated 1 - 10 (+ Comments), Service Rated 1 - 10 (+ Comments), Would You Recommend? Y/N/Other (comment), Would You Go Again? Y/N/Other (comment)

That type of thing?

Author:  Steel Dragon [ October 10th, 2007, 8:06 am ]
Post subject: 

"MANDATORY"?

I don't think anything should be "mandatory" on a discussion board! Way too much control here, again.

Sure, it's nice when reviews are well written and thought out, comprehensive, humorous at times, and include a lot of information that wouldn't be available otherwise.

A person reading a restaurant review should come away with a good idea of what the place is like in terms of atmosphere, service, food, price range, etc...

But that's it.

Author:  philipw [ October 10th, 2007, 8:29 am ]
Post subject: 

No fields should be mandatory.

Phil

Author:  Socrates [ October 10th, 2007, 8:39 am ]
Post subject: 

None.

Author:  paella [ October 10th, 2007, 8:40 am ]
Post subject: 

Yeah I glossed over the mandatory - hate the word so I think my eyes must cross when I see it. But I agree with the pp's - maybe having fields to put the information in an easier-to-read format, but don't make them required fields to post.

Author:  hhost.ca [ October 10th, 2007, 8:40 am ]
Post subject: 

Not saying it should be mandatory but here are the things I like to see in a review.

Decore/Atmosphere
Quality of Service
Speed of Service
Menu Selection
Quality of Food (specifics on meals eaten)
Price (not if it was expensive but if the value of the product was worth the price paid)

Author:  jmweb [ October 10th, 2007, 10:24 am ]
Post subject: 

The reviews section on the forums will be removed when the new version 2 of PEIinfo is released. It will move to a section on the website.

Author:  paella [ October 10th, 2007, 2:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

So discussion of restaurant experience would just fall under PEI Talk?

Author:  Rob MacD [ October 10th, 2007, 3:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

What I appreciate about these restaurant reviews is their lack of conformity. It makes them personal.

Filling out pre-arranged sections, giving "out of ten" ratings, etc., I think, would make them less personal. I don't think that's a good thing for a forum. Maybe it would be better for another section of your new improved site, but I'd bet that fewer people would take the time to fill out pre-defined surveys. People want to rant and complain, and people want to heap praise and kudos.

I'd much rather a less quantitative "this restaurant sucks" than a "3 out of 10".

Author:  jennlynn [ October 10th, 2007, 4:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

I might be getting this confused with another site but wasn't there a restaurant reviews section on the main PEIinfo a few years back?

Like Rob I like having the reviews section inside the forum. It makes it interesting to go into the section of the forum to see what has been commented on. I'm not sure how much a review form would be used.

Author:  philipw [ October 10th, 2007, 7:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

jmweb wrote:
The reviews section on the forums will be removed when the new version 2 of PEIinfo is released. It will move to a section on the website.


Which will be used by who I wonder?

I liked the RR section - especially the free wheeling discussions. Had it not been for all the chatter on Brits I would not have checked it out quite as quickly as I did.

Same with Ricks meats.

A discussion forum is just that - discussions - not some fill in the blanks - meet my criteria - use my words format.

Phil

Author:  FRANKIE [ October 10th, 2007, 8:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

paella wrote:
So discussion of restaurant experience would just fall under PEI Talk?


Good point!

Author:  paella [ October 10th, 2007, 9:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

philipw wrote:
jmweb wrote:
The reviews section on the forums will be removed when the new version 2 of PEIinfo is released. It will move to a section on the website.


Which will be used by who I wonder?

I liked the RR section - especially the free wheeling discussions. Had it not been for all the chatter on Brits I would not have checked it out quite as quickly as I did.

Same with Ricks meats.

A discussion forum is just that - discussions - not some fill in the blanks - meet my criteria - use my words format.

Phil


I wonder about the 'used by who' too...I'm less inclined to go to another section of the site to fill out a form re: my restaurant experience only because if I'm around PEIINFO at all, I'm at the forums.

Having said that, doesn't appear you're looking for input on what to do with the restaurant section since the decision seems to have already been made to move/eliminate the restaurant forums. So have at er, but I would guess that the discussions will continue in other parts of the forum (likely PEI Talk) and will be even less structured than now (in that the forum will be a bigger hodgepodge then it already is).

Author:  jmweb [ October 10th, 2007, 9:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

jennlynn wrote:
I might be getting this confused with another site but wasn't there a restaurant reviews section on the main PEIinfo a few years back?

Like Rob I like having the reviews section inside the forum. It makes it interesting to go into the section of the forum to see what has been commented on. I'm not sure how much a review form would be used.

There is, but it is not used enough due to its setup. The new setup will fit the bill.

Author:  jmweb [ October 10th, 2007, 9:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

paella wrote:
I'm less inclined to go to another section of the site to fill out a form re: my restaurant experience only because if I'm around PEIINFO at all, I'm at the forums.

The new site will change that.

Author:  paella [ October 10th, 2007, 9:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

jmweb wrote:
paella wrote:
I'm less inclined to go to another section of the site to fill out a form re: my restaurant experience only because if I'm around PEIINFO at all, I'm at the forums.

The new site will change that.


Why do I picture you sitting there rubbing your hands together saying "Muhahahaha!"?

Author:  jmweb [ October 10th, 2007, 9:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

lol, I was just thinking that :)

Author:  philipw [ October 11th, 2007, 7:51 am ]
Post subject: 

jmweb wrote:
paella wrote:
I'm less inclined to go to another section of the site to fill out a form re: my restaurant experience only because if I'm around PEIINFO at all, I'm at the forums.

The new site will change that.


How can it change that?

I am like paella - I am here at the forums and only visit the main site maybe once a month when I need a certain bit of info - which is usually not there - which means I am off to google.

Since the site got IP banned at work I can't even use it for the bus schedule which was one of the more useful things on the main page.

Phil

Author:  Armetis [ October 11th, 2007, 8:03 am ]
Post subject: 

Looking forward to seeing what you're up to JM! :D

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 4 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/