Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Taco Bar at Chartwells UPEI for $4.99 [Remind Me]

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Am I Lunch?
PostPosted: January 4th, 2011, 10:53 pm 
True Islander

Am I lunch or is he waiting for me to feed him lunch?
Purchase Print

Post subject: Re: Am I Lunch?
PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 7:16 am 
True Islander

I think (s)he's telling you snow should be white. 8)

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 8:34 am 
True Islander

the snow looks white to me on....my ipad, my mac, my windows pc and my blackberry.

from flickr, 122 views, 49 comments and 9 favorites. half of the people who viewed it commented on it, not one saying colors were off. Sure its not your monitor?

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 9:26 am 
True Islander

I'm not wrong.

Statistics won't properly expose your photo and make your snow white.

Properly calibrating your editing monitor, and knowing how to read a histogram will make your snow white. Your views and statistics would increase ten fold if you exposed it properly.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 10:34 am 
Newly Created Account

He's waiting for you to feed him because unfortunately, the nice people of the world believe they are helping by offering food when in reality, they are putting wildlife in danger. They should not act like pets and would never consider you as food. They should be scared of humans.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 10:48 am 
From Away

yes, you are lunch. at least out to it. :lol:

grey snow is grey.

look, flikr isn't exactly the holy grail of photography communities nor is it the best place to get actual constructive criticism on your work.
I'm sure there are a few folks there in certain situations that take the time to give actual critique, but your response here is pretty much the exact reason why lots of people who can and should actually critique other peoples work don't bother. The 'artist' simply doesn't appreciate it and they get defensive.

It's nice to get positive reactions on our work. Of course it is....but often times it's the instances where people point out what is off or could have been done better about an image that help us to grow as photographers and improve our craft. Sadly, we feel a personal attachment to our work and sometimes take any negative feedback on it as a personal attack or an insult.

Put on your big boy drawers and thank people that point out issues and learn from them and improve your work. It's not an insult-in fact it's usually quite the opposite. It takes time and effort to give CC and often times the people who give it that are accurate(*NOT* everyone that throws their 2 cents in should do so)really could be doing more productive things with their time than helping someone out on the internet with their photography. It's really not a pissing contest.

I appreciate and seek actual critique of my work by my peers-one good critique of an image of mine is worth 1000000 "wow nice shot" or "oh wow that's awesome" or "wow you must have a really good camera" (ok i threw that last one in as it is a pet peeve lol). The compliments are nice and make you feel good etc...but I'd rather grow and improve as a photographer than have mom and other family/friends/etc hang my images on their wall and say COOL. know what I mean?

In this case sure, it's a nice image. But it's underexposed...anyone with a working monitor-calibrated or not can check that via histogram. No big deal, and in this case a stuuuupid easy fix in post-not that I would recommend that as a general practice.

See...our cameras metering sees snow(or sand) and says f**k...that is waaaaay too bright and underexposes a bit. Our cameras metering wants to make stuff 18%grey...it's just the way they work-and often times auto metering errs on the side of caution and underexposes things.

When you are shooting a snowy(or sandy) scene often times you have to compensate for it and dial in some exposure compensation to get a correct exposure-your camera doesn't know it's snow and it's sposed to be white-it just knows it is supposed to make things 18% grey so that's what it does. Another case of cameras just being a tool and not solely responsible for making great images.

If you're shooting in P/AV/TV the best way to get a good exposure in this sort of situation would be to dial in some +ev and check the histogram. If it looks good and not too much clipping going on-then rock on. If too much is blown out(some cameras have a 'blinky' feature you can turn on or off to show clipping on the lcd-do that) and your histogram is wonky, dial it back-or if it's still underexposing dial in a little more and then rock on-then do yourself a favor and jam it in manual and dial in the settings used to get the good exposure for consistency.

If you're a manual shooter-decide on how much dof you want or how much shutter speed you need and then either adjust your shutter or aperture or iso till you get desired exposure.

Always, always, always check your histogram while out shooting. LCD's on the back of the cameras lie. They lie alllll the time. Your histo doesn't-especially if it is an RGB histogram, they are the most accurate.

Now...stop raging out at my post and sit down and have a coffee before you edit or delete it and consider how much time just went into posting this..and that it's done to help-not insult.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 10:48 am 
From Away

oops double post

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 10:53 am 
From Away

stephendesroches wrote:
He's waiting for you to feed him because unfortunately, the nice people of the world believe they are helping by offering food when in reality, they are putting wildlife in danger. They should not act like pets and would never consider you as food. They should be scared of humans.

whaaaat you mean i can't make the fox a pet? but i want one he has a great tail. i will call him....firefox wait that's taken ummmmmmmmmm photshopfox! lightroomfox? aperturefox! man people are missing out on good marketing opportunities here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 11:06 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

nb132 wrote:
Now...stop raging out at my post and sit down and have a coffee before you edit or delete it and consider how much time just went into posting this..and that it's done to help-not insult.

Seriously? :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 11:26 am 
True Islander

Unsolicited (and unexpected) criticism, whether its intent is constructive or not, is often seen as unwarranted and negative.

To me, the original criticism smacked of elitism and didn't seem constructive at all.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 11:43 am 
True Islander

I would think someone trying to make money from photography (www.peiprints.com) would want all the free unsolicited advice they could get from fellow (competitor) professionals!

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 11:53 am 
True Islander

Thanks to this thread I just did some reading on how to properly use a histogram and now feel I can more fully take advantage of my expensive dSLR, so thanks for the negative criticism guys, keep it up!

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 11:56 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

greenspree wrote:
I would think someone trying to make money from photography (http://www.peiprints.com) would want all the free unsolicited advice they could get from fellow (competitor) professionals!

Tellling someone to put on their "big boy drawers" is not very professional in my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 12:04 pm 
True Islander

Neither is dismissing valuable advice out of hand....

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 12:25 pm 
From Away

greenspree wrote:
Thanks to this thread I just did some reading on how to properly use a histogram and now feel I can more fully take advantage of my expensive dSLR, so thanks for the negative criticism guys, keep it up!

awesome. if you have any specific questions please make a post and we can get you some answers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 1:13 pm 
True Islander

Well, what are the proper techniques to correct snow photos in post processing?

For this photo Image

In gimpshop the White Balance command does this:

And also in gimpshop going in to levels and choosing the pick white spot & pick black spot commands does this:

Is there something specific under levels I should be looking for?

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 1:18 pm 
True Islander

The best method is to get it right in camera, any adjustments you do in post destroys data.

The peaks shouldn't touch the "right side" of the histogram. If they do, that's blown out/over exposed and contains no data.

I think the snow is a little too "hot" in the corrected image.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 1:57 pm 
True Islander

wow, I can't believe some of the comments by some people in this thread.

I love critiques, am a fan of them with everything I do and am a firm believer 2 heads are better then 1.

But lets put all cards on the table. Before I looked at these comments this is what I did.....

1) I've checked on my desktop, my laptop, my blackberry, my ipad. If I dismissed said advice would I really have gone out of my way to check it on 4 of my own devices?
2) I've checked it on other computers as well, about 4 others.
3) The only person who has ever said anything about the colors being off has been socktan. I've asked others to look at it and they've all said the same thing. Looks fine.
4) 122 views on this picture on flickr. 49 comments. a little less then half the amount of people who viewed the picture commented. I consider this a high %, none stated anything wrong with picture.
5) Because I do value socktan's opinion (he has said the same thing before with other pictures of mine), I've gone an extra step and am already on the list for a monitor calibrator through the local photography club.

Now post-reading the comments. 117 views, 16 replies.

6) Chris is the only one who has come out and said there's an issue with the picture even though others have chimed in even in this thread.

Put all this together and what do you get? The odds are against Chris.
That being said, #5 point proves that I am still willing to look at what hes said, as I do value his opinion, to fix the problem hes mentioned.

Defensive? Sure. Dismissing his advice? Not so much. elitism? perhaps.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 2:05 pm 
True Islander

You're putting way, way too much value into flickr comments.

Last edited by socktan on January 5th, 2011, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 2:07 pm 
True Islander

socktan wrote:
The best method is to get it right in camera, any adjustments you do in post destroys data.

Thats what I intend to do with my newfound knowledge of the histogram function in my camera! :) Just wondering what you suggest for photos after the fact...

socktan wrote:
The peaks shouldn't touch the "right side" of the histogram. If they do, that's blown out/over exposed and contains no data.

I think the snow is a little too "hot" in the corrected image.

So should the photo be corrected under "levels"? What's the rationale for how to make any adjestments besides not letting the peaks hit the right side?