* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Suggestions on a new camera
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 3:35 pm 
True Islander

I will have about $600 for a new camera. I know that is not very much money, in the camera world, to buy a new camera but in my world....whew..that is a lot of money and all I can afford. Do you have any suggestions on what would be a good camera for me to buy, for that price? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. :D

Post subject: Re: Suggestions on a new camera
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 3:44 pm 

Can I just ask for my own curiosity what you use the camera for?

I'm just trying to get my head around the price.

I recently paid $200 for a 14 megapixel camera including a 16gb card and the photos it takes are outstanding.
You can't change lenses but the 3x zoom is fine and I haven't tried any fast moving objects.

I can use software to create any effects or crop or you name it after the picture is taken.

I'm just wondering what you would get for the extra $400 that justifies the cost.

I know you will have more flexibility with settings but at the end of the day does that flexibility justify that much more money?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 3:47 pm 
Almost an Islander

in my experience you can't go wrong with canon at any price point.

timeforchange has said pretty much everything else i might have added.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 4:19 pm 
True Islander

I use it for everything. I drive my family crazy when I pull out the camera. Also, I take it everywhere I go because everything is a photo opportunity. :) Right now I have a Canon Power Shot A520 4.0 Mega Pixels and it takes Ok pictures but I want to take a whole lot better pictures zoom wise. I don't always want to be standing right on top of the thing I want to take the picture of if that makes any sense.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm 
True Islander

Timeforachange, where did you get that at and what type of a camera is it? Oh I was just assuming I would have to go much higher in price if I was going to get a much better camera is all.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 4:44 pm 

Molly wrote:
Timeforachange, where did you get that at and what type of a camera is it? Oh I was just assuming I would have to go much higher in price if I was going to get a much better camera is all.

This is the camera:
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 13291cen02

I bought it at Staples on sale but they don't list it anymore. They also had the 16gb card on sale at the same time.

I have photos that are amazing and it's fast enough that I can take tons of pics and sort out the less impressive ones.

I have pics of my parrots that you can zoom in on and count the hairs on their feathers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 5:48 pm 
True Islander

I own the Canon G11 for my pocket camera.

5x zoom, IS, ISO up to 3200(+), aperture priority, shutter priority, full manual, RAW image recording.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 8e4de1en02

You can get a great deal on end of life Rebel series when they roll over to a new model, sometimes less expensive than the G11 and that lets you grow. Like $497 or something.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 6:24 pm 
Almost an Islander

I'm on my third Canon "Digital Elph". First was 2.1 megapixel with a 2x optical zoom and cost $850 (back in 2005)! My current one is a 10 mp with a 4X zoom, and cost $229. If I were buying today, I would look at the SD3500IS, which costs $299 (Futureshop) with 14.1 megapixel and a 5X wide angle (24x120mm) optical zoom. I find the Canon optics to be great, and I love a camera that I can fit in my pocket (hint: buy the Canon case for your model, as it is always a perfect fit), as a camera really doesn't take very good pictures sitting home on the shelf because it was too big to take with you. I find the 4x zoom to be all I need, but a 5X would be better for sports work, especially with a tripod. With 14 megapixels to play with, you don't have to get that close, though, as you can zoom and crop with your photo editing software.

The only thing I don't like about the new Canons is the lack of an optical viewfinder. Mine was one of the last subcompacts with one (the main reason why I bought it), and I find it to be very useful in shooting on sunny days. The new screens may be brighter, though.

Update: If you would like the state of the art, Canon Canada just announced that its SD4500IS will be available in early Sept. It retails for $399.99, and features 10 megapixels and a 10X optical zoom, a full 1080p HD video mode, and super slo-mo video.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 6:31 pm 
Almost an Islander

i like the ones with the screens that swivel like a camcorders viewfinder would. you can usually get past the glare that way too.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 6:35 pm 
True Islander

Thank you very much everyone! Now I have so much to read up on... :D

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 6:50 pm 
Almost an Islander

incidentally i just purchased a new samsung cell phone with a built in 5.0mp camera from ebay for under $150. it has wireless connectivity fullfills all my electronic on the go needs...phone, camera, camcorder, mp3, radio, internet, gadgets, tools, apps galore.

it's not an iphone, but it suits my needs for a heck of a lot cheaper. i guess it's not a camera either, but i was impressed with it when you mentioned you were still using a 4 mp camera. lol.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 6:31 am 
True Islander

Yeah pretty pathetic when even the phones are up to date and I am not! LOL

PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 6:35 pm 

socktan wrote:

5x zoom, IS, ISO up to 3200(+), aperture priority, shutter priority, full manual, RAW image recording.

You can get a great deal on end of life Rebel series when they roll over to a new model, sometimes less expensive than the G11 and that lets you grow. Like $497 or something.

I agree with everything that this man has said. G11 would be my recommendation all the way.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2010, 10:32 am 

For the mother-of-all zoom, I like the Canon Powershot sx20IS:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 3b0befen02

My mom calls this my "stalker camera" and the zoom is really quite good. (20X optical.) I'm not worthy enough to have a digital SLR, so this is still point and shoot and still has all the friendly Canon options for minimally-competent users.

The only draw back is that it's big. It's not the kind of camera you'll always have on you unless you really like taking pictures enough that you'll be willing to carry it. For that, I have an older, smaller Canon powershot that's always in my purse.

But, it has the swivel screen, all the zoom you could ever want and is as easy to use as any other Canon. For me, 4AA batteries is a plus because if I had to remember to charge the camera itself, I'd be out of luck. But, being able to throw in any batteries means I'm rarely stuck with a dead camera, even if it means zipping into the closest convenience store and picking up a pack of single use batteries.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 26th, 2010, 12:32 am 
From Away

arod wrote:
socktan wrote:

I agree with everything that this man has said. G11 would be my recommendation all the way.

+1.
Try not to get caught in the megapickle trap. There are many more important factors to consider.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 7:11 pm 
True Islander

Ok so this is what I bought. I love it! I went back, forth and sideways on what to do with my whole $600 dollars and should I spend it all on a camera. I listened to what everyone had to say and took everything in. I think I read everything until my eyes crossed. Thank you everyone for all your advice I really appreciate.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... ct=2516603

I am having loads of fun with this. Once I get more familiar with it I will post some pictures. :D

Oh, with the rest of the money I bought a great new huge barbecue at Walmart! :lol: (low prices this time of the year!)

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm 
True Islander

You should have used the extra money to buy batteries to feed that camera. :)

I kid, but really, Fuji's are hard on batteries.

Have fun with it!

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 7:57 pm 

It looks very similar to mine. I'm sure you'll enjoy playing with the zoom; I know I did!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 9:09 pm 
True Islander

socktan wrote:
You should have used the extra money to buy batteries to feed that camera. :)

I kid, but really, Fuji's are hard on batteries.

Have fun with it!

:shock: :shock: *gulp* Good thing I bought a whole great big package :lol:

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 9:10 pm 
True Islander

sarah11918 wrote:
It looks very similar to mine. I'm sure you'll enjoy playing with the zoom; I know I did!

Yeah I can see why your Mom said Stalker camera!