* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Sunday Brunch at Rodd Royalty for $16.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Canon t3i, t4i, or one of the nifty panasonic slrs
PostPosted: December 6th, 2012, 7:15 pm 
True Islander

Bought this t4i package two weeks ago, open box for $15 less. But wondering if the touch screen is enough to make it a better purchase than the t3i that is almost a hundred less?
There are also deals on the panasonic models that are mirror less, and I have read they are pretty good. I used to use a 35mm slr (olympus om1) but haven't really done anything other than use point and shoots for a long time. The touch screen on the t4i is pretty cool and addictive. But are there any other features than this that make it a better choice over the t3i? Or are the panasonic cameras that sell for around $400 worth looking at? Any insight anyone could give is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Canon t3i, t4i, or one of the nifty panasonic slrs
PostPosted: December 9th, 2012, 11:51 am 
True Islander

Thanks for all the replies. :D

PostPosted: December 15th, 2012, 7:59 am 
True Islander

betamaxman wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. :D

What did you decide?

Personally, touch screen cameras don't interest me. I have a hard enough time keeping nose smudges off the display. I have no experience with any of the Rebel series or mirrorless cameras.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2012, 5:13 pm 
True Islander

Didnt decide yet. I have till jan 6 to make up my mind. But I get your point on the smudges. The nikons were another option and what I was originally thinking on the 3100 to be exact. But started looking at the rebels. I was hoping someone might have some experience with all three brands. You likely have some experience with the canon lenses if not the entry level rebels though and if I keep the t4i I would appreciate any advice you might have on a good telephoto. I will need to get a canon t ring if I want to use it with my celestron telescope. Thank you for the reply, it is appreciated.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2012, 7:37 am 
True Islander

I've used Nikons enough to know that their menuing system and button assignments leave something to be desired. When I'm teaching, it's almost always the Nikon users that need to consult their manual for functions and feature that are clearly labeled on other bodies.

That being said. Nikon shooters love their menuing system. In the end, whatever. They both do the same thing. I'm a big fan of using whatever others are using. If your circle of friends were shooting pentax, I'd say jump on that band wagon. You'll have access to knowledge as well as compatible gear.

A good (canon) telephoto would be the 70-200 F4L, fantastic, light lens. The other option, if you're shooting in low light, is the 2.8 version. Both can be had with image stabilization, but that adds extra weight and cost. I'm often delightfully surprised at how light the F4 lens is compared to the 2.8. Also, the 2.8 is twice the cost of the F4 at around 2 grand. Don't buy it if you don't need it. Whether you need it depends on what you're shooting.

I've taken some OK photos with the 75-300mm F4:5.6. it struggles to make sharp images between 200-300mm, and wide open apertures it suffers from an unacceptable amount of color fringing (chromatic aberration). But, I got to know the lens and its limitations. Also, if color fringing isn't an issue and you know to avoid 200-300mm range, it's a fine lens, but almost useless for indoor sports unless the user knows their camera inside and out.

I used my 75-300 once to shoot a series of example photos for the Holland College photo boot camp.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2012, 6:42 am 
True Islander

Thank you for the input. I think I will be keeping the canon. For the time being the 55 lense will do me until I can afford a good telephoto. Especially thanks for the sensor cleaning info.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2012, 11:21 am 
True Islander

No problem, enjoy!