* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: schools in pei
PostPosted: January 25th, 2013, 9:33 am 
Newly Created Account

Hello my family and I are planning to move to the island from Toronto. We have lived in New Brunswick and realize that the big city is not where we want to raise our children. I am wondering what area has the best schools. for elementry and highschool.
Thank You

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: schools in pei
PostPosted: January 25th, 2013, 9:38 am 

booker123321 wrote:
Hello my family and I are planning to move to the island from Toronto. We have lived in New Brunswick and realize that the big city is not where we want to raise our children. I am wondering what area has the best schools. for elementry and highschool.
Thank You

It depends on what you are looking for. Do you want completely rural area where you may need to drive an hour to get to the bigger shopping stores (Wal Mart, Toys r Us, Canadian Tire etc). Or are you looking for a large town/very small city where a lot of what you see in the larger cities in Canada are non as big of an issue right now? Also it depends on how far you are willing to travel for work etc. Do you want french immersion? With a few more details we can set you up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 25th, 2013, 10:05 am 
Almost an Islander

We're happy with the area where we live so I'd recommend it as a possiblility - the Miltonvale Park, Springvale, North Milton area (the name of the community changes depending on what map you look at or if its the Canada Post address :lol: )

It's close enough to Charlottetown so that I only have a 15 minute commute to work or errands, but it's far enough outside of town so that my son goes to the Bluefield family of schools which have children from primarily rural areas.

Best of luck in finding a new home :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 25th, 2013, 5:42 pm 

Calico wrote:
Most island schools are fine. I like the Stratford area to live in.

Some PEI schools are far different then others. :(

PostPosted: January 25th, 2013, 8:46 pm 

Just because the curriculum is the same does not mean the administration of that curriculum is the same.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 10:03 am 

The only good school in PEI is homeschool. All others are sub par to the rest of the country.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 11:19 am 
Almost an Islander

Nothing really to do with the education system it's self, but I feel it's worth sharing.

A co worker's 10 year old son was sent home from school yesterday, because he had a head ache, his Mother gave him an advil to take at some point if needed, as prescribed by a Dr. earlier in the week.

The teacher called the Mother at work to come and pick him up, claiming she didn't want the responsibility...

The boy had a hockey incident where he hit his head on the weekend and a concussion was suspected, but not fully diagnosed, basically sent home, told to stay off the ice ( not school ) for a bit and monitor things.

How do people feel about this teachers actions ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 11:27 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

TRX wrote:
Nothing really to do with the education system it's self, but I feel it's worth sharing.

A co worker's 10 year old son was sent home from school yesterday, because he had a head ache, his Mother gave him an advil to take at some point if needed, as prescribed by a Dr. earlier in the week.

The teacher called the Mother at work to come and pick him up, claiming she didn't want the responsibility...

The boy had a hockey incident where he hit his head on the weekend and a concussion was suspected, but not fully diagnosed, basically sent home, told to stay off the ice ( not school ) for a bit and monitor things.

If the son's headache was bad enough that he brought it to the attention of the teacher, I think she did the right thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 11:58 am 
Almost an Islander

TRX wrote:

While it may be inconvenient for the parents, I tend to agree that the teacher did the right thing. If it had been something serious and the teacher kept him in school there would be quite an outcry :lol: In this age of CYA it's best to err on the side of caution and let the parents decide if and when they want to seek medical treatment.

My son has been sent home for trivial things (like a bruised finger :wink: ), too, but I would guess the school also encounters parents who raise a fuss if someone doesn't call them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 12:31 pm 

TRX wrote:

Observing child for possible concussion is way above teachers' pay grade. They are not qualified, and should not be required to take on that stress or responsibility. I guess parent could send waver with child releasing teacher and school from all responsibility related to injury, but i still think it is not fair to expect the teacher to have to deal with that.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 12:45 pm 
True Islander

Sid wrote:
The only good school in PEI is homeschool. All others are sub par to the rest of the country.

Based on what?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 1:06 pm 
True Islander

TRX wrote:

Reasonable and correct.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 6:07 pm 
Almost an Islander

Yes, I suppose teachers are educators and not health care professionals, times have sure changed, when a head ache sends a kid home.

Seem's they want less responsibility and zero liability for kids in there class room now days.

It must make a teacher on edge knowing there is a student who could have a seizure at any time in their class.

The teacher wasted no time shuffling the kid out of the class room and to the office to wait for his Mother, with no school work to take home for the day, and that you can argue till the cows come home is wrong.

The teacher could have taken a couple of minutes and put together SOME form of reading, math or another subject for the kid to do while home for the better part of the day ( he was picked up at 10 am )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 6:14 pm 
True Islander

TRX wrote:
Yes, I suppose teachers are educators and not health care professionals, times have sure changed, when a head ache sends a kid home.

The kid had a suspected concussion so the teacher did the right thing sending him home. Sometimes it takes a few days before symptoms of a concussion show up. What do you think the teacher should have done in this case?

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 6:27 pm 
Almost an Islander

Greenspree quoted "Reasonable and correct"

Yes, I suppose teachers are educators and not health care professionals, times have sure changed.

I'm fine with the kid being sent home.

I'm not fine with her not taking a couple of minutes and sending him home with SOME school work, lets be honest here, its a head ache, do ya think the kid went home to bed for the day ? or do you think he watched television and or played video games ?

Or maybe his Mother took over the role as educator for the day and they found something productive to do. All I'm saying is I personally think she could have taken the time and given him SOME form or school work. He does do home work most nights of the week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 6:41 pm 
Almost an Islander

You pointed out that it was a head ache and head injuries, chest pains and difficulty breathing are all conditions that could be nothing or could be something life threatening. I wouldn't expect a teacher to be able to tell if it's just a head ache or the beginning of an aneurysm. And if a teacher told my child to wait around while she assigned him homework while he was having an aneurysm then I wouldn't be at all impressed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 6:59 pm 
Almost an Islander

ariadne wrote:
You pointed out that it was a head ache and head injuries, chest pains and difficulty breathing are all conditions that could be nothing or could be something life threatening. I wouldn't expect a teacher to be able to tell if it's just a head ache or the beginning of an aneurysm. And if a teacher told my child to wait around while she assigned him homework while he was having an aneurysm then I wouldn't be at all impressed.

She didn't tell him to wait, he had no choice, he sat in the office for 25 minutes while his mother drove across town, ....plenty of time to gather up a little home work for the kid.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 7:41 pm 
Almost an Islander

TRX wrote:
....plenty of time to gather up a little home work for the kid.

Does the school not have a website where they post the homework? I can only speak for the schools my son has attended but since he was in 3rd grade he's been able to check the school website to find out what he's missed in homework if he is absent from school. Does this school not post homework on the website?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 7:44 pm 
Tourist

TRX wrote:
ariadne wrote:

She didn't tell him to wait, he had no choice, he sat in the office for 25 minutes while his mother drove across town, ....plenty of time to gather up a little home work for the kid.

I'm pretty sure that if school work was so important to that child ( and their parents) they could find something to work on at home that mirrors what they were doing in school, whether it is extra reading, practicing math, etc. Students need to take some responsibility for their learning as well. Chances are, if work was sent home, it would not be sent back complete anyway because he was "sick."

Also, teachers are not allowed to give students medication without a very detailed form filled out by the doctor. A prescription bottle isn't good enough.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 8:12 pm 
True Islander

TRX wrote:
ariadne wrote:

With a suspected concussion, maybe the teacher felt it would be best not to assign homework for that evening?