* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Any tips for finding an apartment?
PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 10:55 am 
From Away

We are trying to find an apartment for October 1st (albeit while still in BC). So far I have had no luck at all. We have called or emailed people from various websites (kijiji, craigslist, peiapartments, etc), letting them know we're interested in their suite, but will need to arrange long-distance, and only about a quarter of them respond. Most of the responses are to say that for some reason the apartment is not suitable for us.

So far one person gave us some hope, indicated they'd be interested in renting to us and sending us some photos, but they rented the place before being able to get back to us.

So... any suggestion as to how best approach people? Is there, in your opinion more demand than there are apartments? Any suggestions at all would be great.

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Any tips for finding an apartment?
PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 11:23 am 

There are plenty of rentals available. You may want to rent a cottage for a week or so when you get here (good off season rates) and investigate further in person.

Being someone who has my own income property, I have had people who tell me they will take the place sight unseen, which always makes me nervous as what happens when that person arrives and HATES it and I have turned away countless other potential renters and now have nobody to rent my property?

You could also try PEI Apartments here http://www.peiapartments.ca/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 12:45 pm 

Apartment renting/hunting on PEI is pretty terrible if you ask me. I am not surprised you had poor luck without being there. There have been times when I refreshed Kijiji every hour and would contact the person the second I saw the ad and someone would always end up getting there quicker than I had.

Good places go quick.

Where approximately are you looking?

If Charlottetown, I would maybe try calling the number for Harbourside Apartments. The website is horribly out of date, so calling and inquiring about rentals may be easier.
http://142.176.0.146/prop_residential.cfm

If Stratford is close enough, there are usually vacancies in the new Duck's Landing apartments http://apartmentspei.com/

Either way, I am finally living in an apartment in Charlottetown that I don't completely despise. Good luck!

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 12:52 pm 
True Islander

August and the beginning of September are usually bad times to be looking in Charlottetown, because a lot of students are coming back from summer break, and they tend to fill them up pretty quick

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 1:40 pm 

I always have a terrible time finding an apartment in Charlottetown. When I do finally find myself in a unit I then learn that the person/persons whom I pay hundreds of dollars to each month are nothing more than money-grubbing slum lords who have the Island's regulatory board (IRAC) on their side.

That rant said, Charlottetown does have some beautiful apartments with landlords who value their investment and the tenants they do business with. Holly suggested Harbourside Apartments - I second that suggestion. The apartments are owned by the local development agency (CADC). They take very good care of the building, units, and their tenants.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 1:47 pm 

I third apartmentspei, as I've dealt with them a few times. Top notch places.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 2:00 pm 

Apartmentspei.com should not be confused as being peiapartments.ca. I am currently renting from PEI Apartments/MRE Team and have had one stressful year. My stove broke and took over six weeks for a replacement (included in lease but did not receive rent adjustment), locked in a lease but still had my rent increase by 5% on January 1 (still waiting for back rent that I am owed)...just a terrible experience.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 2:07 pm 

AndrewPEI wrote:
Apartmentspei.com should not be confused as being peiapartments.ca. I am currently renting from PEI Apartments/MRE Team and have had one stressful year. My stove broke and took over six weeks for a replacement (included in lease but did not receive rent adjustment), locked in a lease but still had my rent increase by 5% on January 1 (still waiting for back rent that I am owed)...just a terrible experience.

From the little that I've dealt with these folks I'll echo this. The places that I looked at when searching for a plate when I moved here I wasn't' impressed at all. Seemed pretty cheap and haphazard. Kind of like their website now that I think of it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 8th, 2009, 2:39 pm 

I have had two different friends deal with PEI Apartments and they had issues as well. The apartments themselves weren't great, and they were less than prompt with taking care of repairs.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2009, 12:49 am 
From Away

Thanks for the tips! I will be calling Harbourside tomorrow.

We are looking in Charlottetown, Ideally either downtown or as close to the university as we can manage. We don't drive so being in town is important. We did have someone else contact us today, which was awesome, but unfortunately too far away. There is hope though!

I am determined that we shall not be without a home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 11th, 2009, 1:37 am 
From Away

Thanks again for the tips!!

I received a callback from an MRE apartment and the person wasn't necessarily what I would call pleasant or helpful. Now I know to steer clear!

Also, called Harbourside today and fingers crossed that they accept our application!!

Help was much appreciated :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 11th, 2009, 9:59 am 

fromanotherisland wrote:
Thanks again for the tips!!

I received a callback from an MRE apartment and the person wasn't necessarily what I would call pleasant or helpful. Now I know to steer clear!

Also, called Harbourside today and fingers crossed that they accept our application!!

Help was much appreciated :mrgreen:

That sounds great. I saw two ads for harbourside in the paper yesterday..

Best of luck!

PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 2:07 am 
From Away

Upon re-reading my last post I think I may overuse the exclamation point...

So our application was accepted and we're just waiting for them to receive our deposit cheque before we've got it 100% and don't need to worry.

Again, THANKS! It is a huge worry off our minds and will make the move a million times easier. This forum has been such a source of information and assistance in our decision and our moving process. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 6:04 pm 

Except they are not close to the University.....

Never hold your farts in. They travel to your brain and that's where shitty ideas come from.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2009, 12:17 am 
From Away

This is true... We compromised on location because it's got ample storage and it is a loft. For some reason I've always wanted to live in a loft, so I will walk the extra km's to enjoy that element of the apartment.

Can't wait to move. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 16th, 2009, 9:44 pm 
Almost an Islander

redrocket0 wrote:
Being someone who has my own income property, I have had people who tell me they will take the place sight unseen, which always makes me nervous as what happens when that person arrives and HATES it and I have turned away countless other potential renters and now have nobody to rent my property?

You have good reason to be nervous. I had such a situation with my rental in Moncton. I was accommodating about it ( :wink: ) and I showed the place to her sister (who acted for her and paid the deposit) who thought it was very suitable; took plenty of photos etc. But the tenant was nothing but trouble from the day she arrived.

I've had lots of inquiries from out of province whenever I had advertised vacancies and every one of them wanted me to keep the place for them without me having any security at all. It can't be done...unless you're not getting any other interest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 6:18 pm 
From Away

DO NOT rent from John Roop!!!
He is a useless Landlord who borders on a SLUM-LORD! Won't do anything for his tenants and repairs nothing! The only thing he's good at is Bullshitting his tenants! Empty promise after empty promise! Steer clear of his buildings!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 30th, 2009, 6:13 am 
From Away

Thanks for all the tips, info and suggestions. They definitely helped! We're here AND we have a place to live, woo hoo!

It was very much appreciated. :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 30th, 2009, 2:02 pm 
Tourist

Does anyone know anything about the gateway co-op at the corner of Water and Great George st? Are the apartments nice? I found the website for the co-op and the management company, but not a whole lot of info there.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 5:47 pm 
Newly Created Account

Re: GuyPEI

We have been renting from Mr. Roop for two years and he has always been very helpful. When we spoke directly to him he has repaired things that we needed fixed the same day. He respects our personal space, makes sure that his living spaces are clean, secure and well maintained and has always been a friendly landlord.

It would be unfair to label him as a slum lord, as we have not had that experience at all. :wink: