* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Sunday Brunch at Rodd Royalty for $16.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moving To P.E.I.
PostPosted: November 17th, 2012, 4:33 pm 

The education system here leaves much to be desired with kids with learning disabilities being in a class with 30 or more kids and often no teachers assistants. There is a fair bit of bullying and sometimes the school works to resolve it quickly and other times I have seen the bullying go on all school year. Usually when standard tests are done across the country for english and math PEI rates as one of the lowest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 18th, 2012, 11:14 pm 
From Away

celaine1234 wrote:
The education system here leaves much to be desired with kids with learning disabilities being in a class with 30 or more kids and often no teachers assistants. There is a fair bit of bullying and sometimes the school works to resolve it quickly and other times I have seen the bullying go on all school year. Usually when standard tests are done across the country for english and math PEI rates as one of the lowest.

While what you said is probably true ,my children have excelled and find the school system works well for them,the schools they attend have great school spirit with wonderfull teachers. Nothing is perfect though,and there are always areas that need improvement

PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 12:17 pm 
Tourist

Hi all. Yet another westerner looking at moving to PEI! I've been doing tons of research online and have an odd question. I've read there are alot of earwigs there (blech). Are they any better or worse in different areas of the Island? I understand they don't like salt water, so would an oceanfront home be a better choice for someone who really really really hates these horrid creatures?

Also, my other half would be flying for work, I understand Westjet is in Ch'town but was told by someone who used to live out East that they only fly there in the summer. However, I see they have flights now. Are they year round now?
Hoping so as they're so much cheaper!

Violet

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 9:38 pm 

http://www.gov.pe.ca/infopei/index.php3?number=2141

The above link is a good resource for learning about PEI. As for earwigs, they tend to increase in cycles every few years or so, depending on the weather conditions. I can only remember once in my lifetime, where they seemed to be an over abundance of them in our own yard. However, I think there were places in the eastern end of the island where they were much more of a nuisance.

Earwigs were not native to PEI but during the last 20 years they have increased and flourished. Below is a URL for info on them:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/pes ... ex-eng.php

I would prefer earwigs compared to slugs which munch through newly planted flowers and leave a slimy trail behind them.

It is interesting to see where people from out west are looking to move east while a large population of Maritimers have had to move out west for work, but most would prefer to be back home if they could.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 10:45 pm 
Tourist

Thanks for the info! They're in many parts of BC too, but we're managing to avoid them in the town we're in now... too dry I guess. I used to live in a couple of places that had them, they'd be all over the deck at night :(

Yes my other half works in the oil patch, but for not much more money than what he's paying now to travel and the lower cost of housing there, he could easily afford to fly back & forth for work. We can pretty much live anywhere in Canada - it might as well be somewhere peaceful & beautiful like PEI :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 8:21 pm 
True Islander

Hi Violet

Westjet flies in here but it is a really weird schedule....something like only on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. My hubby also works out in the oil patch but I am the one that flies back and forth. I go with Air Canada all the time. They fly in and out of Charlottetown daily.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 9:38 pm 
Tourist

Thanks Molly! Do you find their prices reasonable? We've checked online a few times and it seemed to be around $600-ish return from Edmonton (a few hundred more from Ft Mac, so he's planning on riding with a friend to Edmonton)... is that the average?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 8:59 am 
True Islander

You're more than welcome! Yes that is pretty much the range of price that I have been paying. It has been Ch'town/Toronto/Edmonton. Only once I had to bounce through Calgary but that was in the middle of December to get a cheaper flight but I was ok with that.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 1:57 pm 
Tourist

Thanks again Molly :) I see PEI has a wind chill warning on today, you guys stay warm!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 2:06 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Violet wrote:
Thanks Molly! Do you find their prices reasonable? We've checked online a few times and it seemed to be around $600-ish return from Edmonton (a few hundred more from Ft Mac, so he's planning on riding with a friend to Edmonton)... is that the average?

Westjet flies regularly out of Moncton, NB, which is just a short drive over the bridge. I'd recommend taking that drive than flying with Air Canada. Prices and service are way better :)

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 2:09 pm 
Tourist

Thanks for the tip Frankie!

Ooh another question. We're thinking we'll rent first for a few months before buying, it gives us a chance to really feel out which community is best for us, and also because some of the properties we like would put us into the non-resident rule.
I've read that legally a rent deposit can only equal one month's rent, but I've seen ads for first & last months rent PLUS a deposit - is that the norm?

Which brings to mind, another question! :D

I see alot of waterfront properties for sale fairly cheap (compared to BC waterfront, they're very cheap, and nicer!). I also see articles about the concern for erosion. Are these places literally going to fall into the ocean in our lifetime, or is this a problem that's going to happen very slowly in the future?

Thanks again,
Violet

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 2:50 pm 

Westjet had planned to announce this past Monday which routes Encore will be flying. They now say the announcement will be some time next month.

They have ordered 20 Q400 turboprop airliners with options for 25 more and will be launching some time after mid 2013 with 7 aircraft.

The only airports east of Quebec that have been mentioned as possibilities are Fredericton and Gander so it's not likely to benefit Islanders just yet. Except that some aircraft from the existing Westjet 737 fleet will be assigned new routes which could benefit Moncton airport and less likely Charlottetown airport.

Hopefully as Encore expands over the next few years they will add Charlottetown airport.

When shopping for tickets clear your browser cookies between sessions or you could end up paying more than required.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 3:20 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Violet wrote:
Which brings to mind, another question! :D

I see alot of waterfront properties for sale fairly cheap (compared to BC waterfront, they're very cheap, and nicer!). I also see articles about the concern for erosion. Are these places literally going to fall into the ocean in our lifetime, or is this a problem that's going to happen very slowly in the future?

Thanks again,
Violet

Where I live (on the south shore) there seems to be an awful lot of waterfront properties for sale, which aren't selling. I've heard it's because of erosion. So yes, I'd be concerned about that for sure. Your best bet is to buy an "ocean view" property with access to the beach.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 3:45 pm 
Tourist

Thanks Frankie and Hominis! Everyone's help is greatly appreciated. We're coming to spend a week in April but it's not a long time to get to know everything... so it's great that you're here to answer things :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 8th, 2013, 1:27 pm 
Newly Created Account

Violet,

I live in malpeque, We built a year round water front property on the Darnley Basin, if you look on the map you will see it is a great central location, I am approx 12-15 min to Summerside and 40 min to Charlottetown Airport, this area is known as Anne's Land and its beauty is breath taking. In the summer my favorite spot to have my morning coffee is on my back deck overlooking Darnley Basin, the sunrise's are postcard perfect and I enjoy watching the fishing boats bringing in their catch. There are still a few 1 acre+ lots available if building is your intention, here is the link if you want to check it out
http://seasideproperties.ca/about.html

Hope you find your Dream!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 8:52 pm 
Tourist

Hi Shotgun,

Thanks for your reply! We did look into Malpeque but my son will be attending college in Georgetown, so we're now looking at that side of the Island. Ideally we'd like to be within a 15-20 minute drive.
That does look like a beautiful area though! That would make for a great cup of coffee in the morning :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2013, 9:26 pm 
From Away

Hi Everyone,
My wife and I will be moving to PEI this summer. My son will be attending UPEI. We want to live in the country within 60 mins of Charlottetown. We would like to buy a few acres of land and have a small house (less than 1200sq feet). We've also considered buying land and moving a mini-home to the property. I have a question. What's the average cost of digging a well and installing a septic system in PEI?

Thanks
Todd

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 3:27 pm 
Newly Created Account

wonderful read, as i am looking to move to pei, I dont want to ask any repetitive questions so i will continue to dig around the site :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2013, 10:16 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hi,
I'm moving to pei in the fall. Does anyone know if euston street in Charlottetown is an okay street to live on or is that a bad area of town?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2013, 6:16 pm 
True Islander

Briannajune wrote:
Hi,
I'm moving to pei in the fall. Does anyone know if euston street in Charlottetown is an okay street to live on or is that a bad area of town?

It's fine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next