* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Visiting PEI
PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 1:03 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hey all!

First time poster here :)

I stumbled across this page doing some homework on a trip my friend and I have been discussing. We've decided it's time to stop just talking about going and actually go.

I've read the guidebook, surfed the web, and requested info from Tourism PEI. That gives a lot of general information but I thought it would be nice to get some "insider" information.

We haven't really settled on what time of the year but we're kinda leaning toward September-ish. After Labor Day which is early September and the "official" end of summer here in the US. I know there will be other tourists there but I was hoping to avoid "peak" season. I read the thread about the issue of panhandlers but that isn't something that would deter me. I live an hour from NYC and visit often. I've seen it all :lol:

I'm in NJ and PEI is less than 1000 miles north of here. Here in the Northeastern US we have your basic seasons - starts getting "cool" in October the cold into November/December and starts warming up around April (sometimes March). How much different is PEI from here? If I were to come up in mid to late September would it be significantly cooler than it would be here?

We're coming for the "Anne" experience and looking at places to stay in Cavendish. One place I'm liking so far is Kindred Spirits. The pricing seems fair and the reviews I've found seem good. I like the fact that we'd have our own "kitchen" as we'd be driving up and would have food/drinks with us.

Any tidbits you can share would be very much appreciated

Post subject: Re: Visiting PEI
PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 1:36 pm 

Hi:

Let me welcome you to PEI early. Kindred Spirits is a very good place. You would enjoy it there.The owners are very nice people. I would not leave it much past labor day as some places close because of the students returning to college. Weather can be very nice in September. Any further questions you can email us at nod@bellaliant.net We would be glad to share more. Don MacEachern

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 1:45 pm 
True Islander

Number one rule on PEI - always have a jacket or sweater with you. Temps can change rapidly here - and as wonderful as the days have been this summer - the nights are cool.

This will be even more important on the North Shore after dark.

The fall - over the last few years has been warmer then normal. The Island often makes it well past Xmas Day before we see snow. Staying snow anyway.

Sept. is a good month here. The rug rats - yard apes and teens have all vanished from the streets since their parents had to take them back home for school.

Don't limit yourself to Cavendish. You'll miss out on the Island experience.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 2:08 pm 
Newly Created Account

philipw wrote:
Number one rule on PEI - always have a jacket or sweater with you. Temps can change rapidly here - and as wonderful as the days have been this summer - the nights are cool.

I always travel with a hoodie or jacket so I'm covered there :)

philipw wrote:
Don't limit yourself to Cavendish. You'll miss out on the Island experience.

Oh, I know. I'm not sure yet how many days we'll have and some of it will be dedicated to the 13 hour drive. But I definitely want to see as much of the island as possible. I'm hoping to hit O'Leary and the potato museum as well as some other spots :)

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 4:21 pm 

Weather wise Sept is amazing on PEI, best month of the year imo if winter wasnt looming.

Tourism rapidly shuts down after Labour Day weekend. I recommend you look into the places are a 'must' for you to visit and then make sure they will still be open.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 5:41 pm 
From Away

philipw wrote:
yard apes

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 29th, 2013, 6:10 pm 
Almost an Islander

Haunted wrote:
philipw wrote:
yard apes

According to only the "erudites" on UrbanDictionary. It always meant, and still does mean, a tricycle motor.

- Jesus of Nazareth, Matt. 26:52

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 30th, 2013, 12:34 pm 
Almost an Islander

One my favorite events that particular time of year is Soupfest. It's part of the Indian River Festival. We went last year and really enjoyed it. There is some info here:
http://www.indianriverfestival.com/22.php

Also, I think the Fall Festival of Flavors is on at that time. You should check out some of the events. I really liked the picnic in the park in Cavendish. It was a bit pricey but worth it.

September is a nice time to visit. It's not as busy and the weather is still nice. This is a great place to visit if you like food, and music. There is lots of both and it's very good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 31st, 2013, 8:52 am 
Newly Created Account

Thank you everyone for your replies :D