Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The best place to live on PEI
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 2:42 am 
Newly Created Account

My family and I are planning on moving to Prince Edward Island within the next year or so.

We are hoping to buy a place before we move, so the question is what is the best location on the island to live?

Jaid

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 5:40 am 
Almost an Islander

Summerside or western PEI (O'Leary, Tyne Valley, Alberton or Tignish)..those would be my choices lots of off-Island people moved into O'Leary Alberton in past year, including a couple of my coworkers so thats pretty neat seeing they are from Ontario and England.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 6:11 am 
True Islander

hmm really pei pretty small so it really depends on why you are moving here. is it to retire? but i think anyhthing within 30 mins of chtown east or west is nice areas that what you can just pop into the city to get what you need. but if your looking for small town living then i would sugest east or west end. places like souris (my home town) montague or the surounding areas.. then to the west tignish, oleary, alberton are all nice small towns too. or you could go smaller like villages if thats what you want. if you want to live out in the contry then really anywheres on the island will do.. personally i would take charlottown over summerside city wise. give us some more info on what you would be wanting to do on pei, how far you want to be out of the city or from such things as bank, grocery stores and such. but like i said pei is small so your really never that far from much. its a hour from souris to chtown with morrell mid way, then its 50 mins from chtown to summerside. then from summerside up west is a bit over an hour depeneding on where you go. think you can go from north cape to east point in like 4-5 hours.

Post subject: Re: The best place to live on PEI
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 6:34 am 

Jaid79 wrote:
My family and I are planning on moving to Prince Edward Island within the next year or so.

We are hoping to buy a place before we move, so the question is what is the best location on the island to live?

Jaid

I don't think it really matters. There are lovely towns and villages all over PEI. And where ever you are you're never far from the beaches and the shops in Charlottetown or Summerside.

I suppose it depends on why you are coming here. For work, retirement, or just a change of pace?

Myself, I've never lived more than 20 minutes from Charlottetown. And I quite like places like New Haven and Bonshaw. And where I am now is where Charlottetown meets the country. Subdivisions and Sears/beer store in front of me and cows behind. Best of both worlds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 8:10 am 

I agree with FerryRoad, it depends why you are coming here. If it is for retirement (or your work situation is not an issue), any place on the Island would be nice. I am sure everyone on this board would have their biases, and mine would be the Greater Charlottetown area or the North Shore (anywhere from Stanhope/Dalvay area, to Park Corner/French River area).

If you are looking for a job, I would not stray too far from the Charlottetown area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 8:31 am 
True Islander

islandsportsnut wrote:
Summerside or western PEI (O'Leary, Tyne Valley, Alberton or Tignish)..those would be my choices lots of off-Island people moved into O'Leary Alberton in past year, including a couple of my coworkers so thats pretty neat seeing they are from Ontario and England.

I'm curious to know why you would suggest these places. Western PEI would be a great place to live if you like rural leaving, but if you want something closely resembling a city, the closer to Charlottetown you are, the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 8:51 am 

Hmm? Just noticed the OP is from Ireland. :D

PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 9:21 am 
True Islander

Jaid79 wrote:

Jaid

What do you want in a community......?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 9:30 am 

craiger wrote:
islandsportsnut wrote:

I'm curious to know why you would suggest these places. Western PEI would be a great place to live if you like rural leaving, but if you want something closely resembling a city, the closer to Charlottetown you are, the better.

I'm curious as well, not to offend but that area of the island is the last I would reccomend. To people coming from a bigger centre (and I'm not sure that you are but just as a comparison) it is too much of a culture shock, living in a location where Summerside is the population centre you rely on for everything, you really miss out the level of services that the Greater Charlottetown Area can offer. (Especially good Restaurants and entertainment) If you are looking for small town living I strongly reccomend Rustico - a fishing village 30km north of Charlottetown, you are never more than a few minutes from the water.. gorgeous views, a good selection of everyday services, and only 20-30 mins from Charlottetown.

If you are looking for city living, downtown Charlottetown has a lot of beautiful heritage homes and several nice new condos. For suburban living I recommend Stratford, a town across the hillsborough river from Charlottetown (about 5 minutes from downtown) - namely the Battery Point or Tea Hills neighborhoods.. gorgeous water/city views.

Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 9:42 am 

Either Montague or the area along 2 between Hunter River and Kensington. We like being near heritage roads for good horseback riding, nice and green, some hills. I know a number of folks have mentioned upwest but even though that's where the family is from originally, my least favourite part of the Island. Too much red dirt in the air on too many windy days(yeah I know elsewhere too but just seems worse there.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 9:44 am 
True Islander

Gunit wrote:
craiger wrote:
islandsportsnut wrote:

I'm curious as well, not to offend but that area of the island is the last I would reccomend. To people coming from a bigger centre (and I'm not sure that you are but just as a comparison) it is too much of a culture shock, living in a location where Summerside is the population centre you rely on for everything, you really miss out the level of services that the Greater Charlottetown Area can offer. (Especially good Restaurants and entertainment) If you are looking for small town living I strongly reccomend Rustico - a fishing village 30km north of Charlottetown, you are never more than a few minutes from the water.. gorgeous views, a good selection of everyday services, and only 20-30 mins from Charlottetown.

If you are looking for city living, downtown Charlottetown has a lot of beautiful heritage homes and several nice new condos. For suburban living I recommend Stratford, a town across the hillsborough river from Charlottetown (about 5 minutes from downtown) - namely the Battery Point or Tea Hills neighborhoods.. gorgeous water/city views.

Good Luck!

Because west prince is much much more welcoming than charlottetown is.

Not to slam charlottetown, but it takes a long time to feel like you are part of things.
When a child is new to the schools there, kids flock around and welcome them with open arms, in charlottetown when a child begins school, they are treated less than welcome..it was a culture shock for me just seeing that part alone.

It depends on why someone is moving here.

I cant speak for summerside at all, because i have no experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 10:27 am 

Imagine walking into a Huge family reunion.. (not your family! lol) then try to 'fit in' ..
Welcome to PEI!! ;)

Summerside? [edit] - If you're from away .. you'll always be a PFA.
Always good to have family here (even if you have to bring em with ya!)

I've been looking to move myself for sometime .. thinking of someplace like Victoria.. a small community (artsy) .. by the Sea .. mmm salt air ..salt water ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 11:04 am 
Newly Created Account

TTBoy wrote:
hmm really pei pretty small so it really depends on why you are moving here. is it to retire?.

No not at all, I am only 28, my wife is 24 and my son is 1 in a weeks time.

She is a Nurse and I am a Quantity Surveyor(unsure if you have such a thing on PEI), so its pretty important that we are close to the airport/bridge, should I need to travel to work over a reasonable distance.

We are moving to PEI for many reasons. One of which is to allow our son to grow up in a safe and healthy environment. We are also very out doors kind of people and like to go hiking, cycling, skiing and the like. We think PEI looks wonderful as does much of Canada.

I think just outside Charlottetown would be ideal, location is the most important thing for us. Would you also let us know what the house prices are like in the area you suggest? If they are too expensive we may have to reconsider our location on PEI and move out further from Charlottetown.

Many thanks everyone for all your replies

Gid

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 11:10 am 
Newly Created Account

[quote="FerryRoad
Charlottetown meets the country. Subdivisions and Sears/beer store in front of me and cows behind. Best of both worlds.[/quote]

That sounds very close to what we would be looking, close to the city but in the country.

Jaid

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 11:16 am 
Newly Created Account

Scudders wrote:
I agree with FerryRoad, it depends why you are coming here. If it is for retirement (or your work situation is not an issue), any place on the Island would be nice. I am sure everyone on this board would have their biases, and mine would be the Greater Charlottetown area or the North Shore (anywhere from Stanhope/Dalvay area, to Park Corner/French River area).

If you are looking for a job, I would not stray too far from the Charlottetown area.

Scudders,

You have pretty much nailed it in one. I guess there are good and better areas to live in each of the above places. Which is the best and what sort of money would it be to buy or rent a home there? Detached on a bit of land with a view.

Jaid

Last edited by Jaid79 on July 26th, 2007, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 11:19 am 
Newly Created Account

bfb;) wrote:
Imagine walking into a Huge family reunion.. (not your family! lol) then try to 'fit in' ..
Welcome to PEI!! ;)

Thank you :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 11:20 am 

http://www.mls.ca/map.aspx?AreaID=6241

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 11:32 am 

Jaid79 wrote:
Scudders wrote:

Scudders,

You have pretty much nailed it in one. I guess there are good and better areas to live in each of the above places. Which is the best and what sort of money would it be to buy or rent a home there? Detached on a bit of land with a view.

Jaid

Your best bet would be checking out MLS.ca (http://www.mls.ca/map.aspx?AreaID=6241). You can find lots of adequate 3-4 bedroom homes starting $125,000 in the Queens county region.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 11:53 am 
True Islander

If you live anywhere close to Dublin, I'm guessing you'll find real estate prices over here very cheap! My father works in Ireland and he cannot believe the prices for homes over there. He also said Dublin is insanely expensive.

Another nice place is St. Catherines. It's just outside of Cornwall. Nice rolling hills, close to the water, and pretty private area. My wife used to live out there and loved it. It's only about 20 minutes from Charlottetown. And it would be closer to Borden (where the confederation bridge is) then some other places that were mentioned.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 12:11 pm 

Jaid79 wrote:
That sounds very close to what we would be looking, close to the city but in the country.

Jaid

It works out quite nice for me. I live in the city limits and this is what I see when I BBQ and drink beer in the summer.

But yeah, if you want both rural and urban, I wouldn't stray much beyond Springvale, North River, York and Stratford.