* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Widened shoulders on the Hillsborough bridge.
PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 1:47 pm 

Anybody else notice they moved the white lines a bit to the left on the top of the bridge to give cyclists more room?

I noticed it during my commute last week, you wouldn't think that little bit of space, but it made a huge difference to me. (news article says 8" but I think it's closer to 20" on one side).

I drove my car across the bridge as well a few times since they re-painted the lines and don't find it too tight at all, I'm assuming the lanes were already wider than they needed to be.

Sometimes all it takes is just that few extra inches of buffer to make a difference. Now if we could only pass/enforce a 3ft law for passing cyclist/pedestrians I"ll be all set. :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2012/07/24/pei-hillsborough-bridge-bikes-584.html

Post subject: Re: Widened shoulders on the Hillsborough bridge.
PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 5:10 pm 

frdalton wrote:
Anybody else notice they moved the white lines a bit to the left on the top of the bridge to give cyclists more room?

I noticed it during my commute last week, you wouldn't think that little bit of space, but it made a huge difference to me. (news article says 8" but I think it's closer to 20" on one side).

I drove my car across the bridge as well a few times since they re-painted the lines and don't find it too tight at all, I'm assuming the lanes were already wider than they needed to be.

Sometimes all it takes is just that few extra inches of buffer to make a difference. Now if we could only pass/enforce a 3ft law for passing cyclist/pedestrians I"ll be all set. :)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2012/07/24/pei-hillsborough-bridge-bikes-584.html

The only issue I see here is way to many island drivers don't know (or maybe don't care) that they are not supposed to cross the solid white line. There is also a more than reasonable amount of people who drive through there like its the Indy 500. I hope bikers don't get a false sense of safety/security with the extra space because there are still too many idiots with licenses.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 1:24 pm 

Nomie wrote:
The only issue I see here is way to many island drivers don't know (or maybe don't care) that they are not supposed to cross the solid white line...

Interestingly enough last night on Riverside Drive, I had an RCMP cruiser pass uncomfortably close because they were driving partly over the white line.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2012, 12:35 pm 

Nomie wrote:
The only issue I see here is way to many island drivers don't know (or maybe don't care) that they are not supposed to cross the solid white line. There is also a more than reasonable amount of people who drive through there like its the Indy 500. I hope bikers don't get a false sense of safety/security with the extra space because there are still too many idiots with licenses.

In my best Borat accent, " what is this "solid white line" that you speak of........"

PostPosted: September 30th, 2012, 2:29 pm 
From Away

I noticed that it seemed tighter and mentioned it to someone who told me that indeed the lines have been painted to narrow the road , so that bicycles can have more room :? I think drivers need all the room we can get on that bridge!People speed like crazy and now I notice that during heavy traffic sometimes cars are driving slightly over the painted lines which makes it a tight squeeze!

PostPosted: September 30th, 2012, 9:37 pm 

Bella2 wrote:
I noticed that it seemed tighter and mentioned it to someone who told me that indeed the lines have been painted to narrow the road , so that bicycles can have more room :? I think drivers need all the room we can get on that bridge!People speed like crazy and now I notice that during heavy traffic sometimes cars are driving slightly over the painted lines which makes it a tight squeeze!

The problem was, the same drivers were driving over the white line before they moved the line. At least now they are slightly further away from me.