* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: home exercise equipment
PostPosted: November 8th, 2007, 1:41 pm 

Not so much a sport or a hobby, but fits better here than anywhere else.

So, I've been walking pretty much every day. Lemmy the dog makes it easier - he's good with the motivation thing, lol.

I'm looking for something to do indoors for the winter. There's actually a gym about 5 minutes away, but I'm not much for the gym thing. I've signed up to two different gyms and I can count the number of times I went on one hand.

My folks have a treadmill they said I can borrow since they don't use it. It's motorized with speed control and a little computer that shows distance, speed, etc. No incline option or anything. For free it's a good deal. The problem - it's quite big and doesn't fold so it would require a major rearranging of the den and getting rid of some stuff. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, I guess. =)

I've been really thinking hard about the Gazelle though. I was going to buy one from an infomercial (hah, that word is actually in the spell checker) about a year ago but I didn't, for whatever reason. It looks like it might actually be fun to use. Reviews online are very mixed - seems like you either love it or hate it.

An exercise bike would be an option too.

Those are the three options I'm considering. I don't want to spend too much, maybe a couple hundred bucks, and I don't mind buying used. Anyone care to share opinions or other ideas? =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2007, 2:01 pm 
True Islander

Well I have a treadmill and use it daily and love it - although it has an incline function and I use that a lot during my workout, so I don't think I'd enjoy it as much without. Mine doesn't fold either and sits in my bedroom...next time I buy one to replace this (it's only 3 years old, so not for awhile I guess), I'll be buying a fold-away one I think.

Anyway, I've also had a Gazelle and used it pretty faithfully for a few months, but didn't really like it. You do definitely get a workout from it and the videos that I got with mine were pretty good, although a bit cheesy :P I wouldn't get another one - BUT, my Mom has one and she uses her religiously everyday and loves it. So I think the love it/hate it reviews are pretty accurate. I'd suggest finding one somewhere set up (walmart?) or a friend who has one and trying it out to see if you'd enjoy it.

The other cardio equip I would consider getting for myself is a rowing machine ... but I won't until I get the opportunity to try one a few times. I always though I'd like to have one of those ellipticals, but after trying one a few times in a gym I decided I hate them. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 11:17 am 

Lol, yeah, I think I'll actually have to try the Gazelle for myself. I may try the treadmill first, just because it's the cheapest option. It might be nice to have both for a bit of variety, but then there's the whole space issue again. Rowing machine I hadn't really considered. The ellipticals don't look like much fun, but I could be wrong on that one, lol.

I do have an exercise ball that I use sometimes, but I don't really enjoy it. It's kinda boring. I had a good yoga dvd but it seems to have been misplaced in the move. I'm sure it's tucked away somewhere. And I had a budokon dvd from the library that I really enjoyed. I should pick one up somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2008, 12:59 am 
Tourist

I have been thinking of getting a treadmill. Not a New Years resolution or anything, I just find it really difficult to get my walk in during the winter. We is a good place to buy one here on the Island? I don't need anything too fancy just something I can walk/jog on. I want one that will last. What would the average life of a treadmill be? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2008, 8:10 am 
True Islander

We bought ours through Sears - but since then Spartan Athletics has come to town and that is where I'd buy our next one. Ian is very helpful and they have lots of choice.