* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Recommendations for spaghetti sauce
PostPosted: July 31st, 2009, 4:53 pm 

Hi all.

Looking to get a spaghetti dinner going this weekend and wondered if anyone had recommendations for a good spaghetti sauce that you can purchase at a neighbourhood retailer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Recommendations for spaghetti sauce
PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 11:06 am 

I have yet to find a tomato sauce I enjoy right out of the jar/can, without anything added.

That being said, I use Hunt's Thick and Rich original as my base. There are more flavorful sauces, but I like adding my own flavors and the "thick and rich" consistency is great. I usually use 2 cans.

Fry up your favorite ground meat (I use beef or chicken and remove it from the pan when cooked)

Add generous amount of olive oil (roughly 1/3 cup) , lots of chopped onions, garlic, and green pepper. Fry for a few mins, then add 2 cans of the sauce.

Add 1 packet or cube of chicken bouillon (Rachael Ray tip - gives it that "simmered all day" taste) and 1/2 cup water - or just 1/2 cup boxed chicken stock.

I then add lots of dried oregano, pepper, onion powder, a bit of thyme and salt, a couple bay leaves, about 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and the meat back to the pot. Let simmer for 15 minutes or so, then I add sliced mushrooms - stir and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked.

I serve it over whole wheat spaghettini (thinner than spaghetti) cooked al dente in heavily salted water (it's the only chance you have to flavor the actual pasta) and then tossed with a little olive oil after it's drained. I try to have shredded parmesan to sprinkle on top (you don't have to buy it whole and grate it - buy the little refrigerated tubs in the deli section, they're so much better than the cans on the shelf) .. and then usually have a caesar or greek salad on the side.

Delicious.

- Feel free to leave out the meat, it's great without it, too.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2009, 6:17 am 
Almost an Islander

I only buy Classico sauce and mix with one can of diced tomatoes and ground beef. Super easy and Classico is a very good quality product.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2009, 6:51 am 
I do the Hunt's .... we had another kind once, cannot remember what it was ... we ended up putting a jar of salsa sauce in with it to give it a chunkier feel ....

PostPosted: August 6th, 2009, 11:50 am 

G-Unit .. wrote:
I have yet to find a tomato sauce I enjoy right out of the jar/can, without anything added.

That being said, I use Hunt's Thick and Rich original as my base. There are more flavorful sauces, but I like adding my own flavors and the "thick and rich" consistency is great. I usually use 2 cans.

Fry up your favorite ground meat (I use beef or chicken and remove it from the pan when cooked)

Add generous amount of olive oil (roughly 1/3 cup) , lots of chopped onions, garlic, and green pepper. Fry for a few mins, then add 2 cans of the sauce.

Add 1 packet or cube of chicken bouillon (Rachael Ray tip - gives it that "simmered all day" taste) and 1/2 cup water - or just 1/2 cup boxed chicken stock.

I then add lots of dried oregano, pepper, onion powder, a bit of thyme and salt, a couple bay leaves, about 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and the meat back to the pot. Let simmer for 15 minutes or so, then I add sliced mushrooms - stir and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked.

I serve it over whole wheat spaghettini (thinner than spaghetti) cooked al dente in heavily salted water (it's the only chance you have to flavor the actual pasta) and then tossed with a little olive oil after it's drained. I try to have shredded parmesan to sprinkle on top (you don't have to buy it whole and grate it - buy the little refrigerated tubs in the deli section, they're so much better than the cans on the shelf) .. and then usually have a caesar or greek salad on the side.

Delicious.

- Feel free to leave out the meat, it's great without it, too.

Nice work, that sounds good!
If you want to jack up the tomato intensity, add some tomato paste to your meat and allow it to cook as well. I've also done pretty much the same substituting sausage for the meat; i've even made it with a bit of lemon peel in it, quite tasty.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 9th, 2009, 8:00 am 

I like pasta sauce to be garlic like crazy.

So I've roasted garlic, fried garlic and added fresh garlic to this one basic recipe I have and it's deeeeelicious.