* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hunger Games Trilogy
PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 10:43 am 

can't find anything else on this so i am starting a new thread

i just finished reading this 3 book series in less then 2 days and all i can say is O M G! freaking awesome. i can totally see this being made a movie if it hasn't already been in the works. it would/could be right up there with avatar in the way of different world ideas and graphics.

i give it 10 thumbs up!!lol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hunger Games Trilogy
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 6:53 pm 
Entertainment Director

I read the series after Christmas. Loved them. There is a movie in the works as well. I hope it lives up to the books...

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2011, 8:29 am 
Almost an Islander

I've never heard of this - but I love to read! Now I'm going to go check them out :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2011, 9:44 am 

flutesong wrote:
I've never heard of this - but I love to read! Now I'm going to go check them out :D

i hope you do and let us know what ya think. i recommend getting them as a boxed set..cheaper i think and i got mine at chapters online....use facebook5 in the coupon section and you get 5.00 off plus free shippin if its over 25.00. happy readin!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 28th, 2011, 10:10 am 
Almost an Islander

I borrowed it from my teenager and loved it! What a fabulous read!

Reminded me a bit of the Stephen King book about the kids who have to walk across the country. Can't remember what it was called.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 28th, 2011, 1:04 pm 

phoebe1 wrote:
I borrowed it from my teenager and loved it! What a fabulous read!

Reminded me a bit of the Stephen King book about the kids who have to walk across the country. Can't remember what it was called.

at the first when i got them and read the back that is EXACTLEY what i thought too!!! :D
i think it was called long run or walk or something...i have it in a book of four short stories together and now its driving me nuts so i will hafta dig them out to know for sure ;)

ETA: i totally remember now. it was in the book called Bachman books and it was written under his pseudoname richard bachman and it was called the long walk. great read!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 10:31 pm 
Almost an Islander

stick2thefacts wrote:
flutesong wrote:

i hope you do and let us know what ya think. i recommend getting them as a boxed set..cheaper i think and i got mine at chapters online....use facebook5 in the coupon section and you get 5.00 off plus free shippin if its over 25.00. happy readin!!!

Okay, I just finished reading Mockinjay this morning , and I have to completely agree with you - these books were amazing! I'm really looking forward to the movie now, to see their interpretation of Katniss, Gale and Peta.

I think I might read them again...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 9:42 am 

flutesong wrote:
stick2thefacts wrote:
flutesong wrote:

Okay, I just finished reading Mockinjay this morning , and I have to completely agree with you - these books were amazing! I'm really looking forward to the movie now, to see their interpretation of Katniss, Gale and Peta.

I think I might read them again...

ya, i am so glad you enjoyed them! there is a new series coming out soon that alot are comparing to the hunger games... divergent by veronica roth. the cover reminds me of the art done on the immortal series by cassandra clare. i can't wait to get my hands on a copy when it comes out :) :)
which btw, did you read the immortal series yet?? a REALLY awesome read (twilight series was my fave until i got hooked on these and now these are my number one books an it was a trilogy but she is coming out with three prequels and now three more to the original series, me so hapy!lol)

ETA that i just checked chapters online and divergent is now available! ya!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 1:39 pm 
Almost an Islander

stick2thefacts wrote:
ya, i am so glad you enjoyed them! there is a new series coming out soon that alot are comparing to the hunger games... divergent by veronica roth. the cover reminds me of the art done on the immortal series by cassandra clare. i can't wait to get my hands on a copy when it comes out :) :)
which btw, did you read the immortal series yet?? a REALLY awesome read (twilight series was my fave until i got hooked on these and now these are my number one books an it was a trilogy but she is coming out with three prequels and now three more to the original series, me so hapy!lol)

No, I haven't read the Immortal series yet - another set I'll have to download, LOL! I loved the Twilight books, so I'd probably love that, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 2:03 pm 

flutesong wrote:
stick2thefacts wrote:

No, I haven't read the Immortal series yet - another set I'll have to download, LOL! I loved the Twilight books, so I'd probably love that, too.

they are big like twlight but they are more...hard to say it....intricate?? hard to find the right word. ;) there is much more to them and lots of new lingo to remember to follow so they aren't as 'light' as twilight...hope that makes sense and NOT to be taken the wrong way. i recommended these to my 26yr old neice as she loves supernatural stuff and reads like vampire dairies and stuff like that but she couldnt' get into them at all as she likes to zip thru a book..haha, these will keep ya thinkin and wondering and reading into the wee hours. i think you will thoroughly enjoy them as you seem to have a broad sense of reading. warning....they are addicting.....lol :D :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 2:31 pm 
Almost an Islander

stick2thefacts wrote:
they are big like twlight but they are more...hard to say it....intricate?? hard to find the right word. ;) there is much more to them and lots of new lingo to remember to follow so they aren't as 'light' as twilight...hope that makes sense and NOT to be taken the wrong way. i recommended these to my 26yr old neice as she loves supernatural stuff and reads like vampire dairies and stuff like that but she couldnt' get into them at all as she likes to zip thru a book..haha, these will keep ya thinkin and wondering and reading into the wee hours. i think you will thoroughly enjoy them as you seem to have a broad sense of reading. warning....they are addicting.....lol :D :D

Oh, that definitely sounds like something I'll enjoy. Considering my absolute favourite book in the entire world is The Mists Of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I love books that not only entertain, but teach a little as well :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 7:10 pm 

thats awesome, let me know what ya think of them :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2011, 10:09 am 
Almost an Islander

I finished City Of Bones a couple days ago, and I'm about 1/3 way through City Of Ashes now. LOVE them! You make great book recommendations, stick2thefacts! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2011, 11:34 am 

flutesong wrote:
I finished City Of Bones a couple days ago, and I'm about 1/3 way through City Of Ashes now. LOVE them! You make great book recommendations, stick2thefacts! :D

oh YA!i am so happy your enjoyin them!!!
i love giving out advice on things and i would only recommend or comment on things i am passionate about it, which i am about certain books!
i JUST got my books outta storage from last summer and i was like a kid in the candy store, can't wait to read the mortal instruments again!LOL i am very fortunate to have some good friends that recommend books to me as well that i never heard of and appreciate it so much so love to pass on my recommendations! my friend in Hali put me in the direction of the girl with the dragon tatoo and the hunger games series and just recently gave me some Lisa Gardner books. OMG i am LOVIN them too! they are a different genre then i am used to, suspense thriller/cop books! highly recommend her too! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 12:22 pm 
Tourist

I finished them about 6 months ago, and I thought they were AWESOME! I literally could not put them down! I had to keep reading to see what happened with Katniss, Peta and Gale. The last series I read that I literally could not wait to read was Harry Potter.

I can't wait for the movie, I hope it does the series justice! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 16th, 2011, 4:25 pm 
Almost an Islander

Ok, so now I've finished the Hunger Games trilogy, the Mortal Instruments trilogy, Clockwork Angel, and I've just finished reading Divergent, today. LOVED them all!

I'm starting Stephanie Meyer's "The Host" now, but is there anything else that you can recommend for me? >LOL<

Sorry if I'm driving you nuts :-)
I'll take reading over TV any day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 17th, 2011, 8:59 am 

flutesong wrote:
Ok, so now I've finished the Hunger Games trilogy, the Mortal Instruments trilogy, Clockwork Angel, and I've just finished reading Divergent, today. LOVED them all!

I'm starting Stephanie Meyer's "The Host" now, but is there anything else that you can recommend for me? >LOL<

Sorry if I'm driving you nuts :-)
I'll take reading over TV any day.

OMGosh not driving me nuts AT ALL! its a subject i enjoy 'talkin' about. I am very lucky to have a few friends that have pointed me into the direction of some new genres/authors and i feel that i should only pass along the great suggestions, lol. i happened onto most of the books i read by just wanderin the book aisles at the grocery stores and shoppers drug mart.
you are a head of me, i never got divergent yet, CAN"T wait! and as for the HOST, so many pp told me that it is hard to get into but i didn't believe them...YUP i found it VERY hard to get into adn was about to give up but SO glad i didnt', i loved it once it got goin. it is nowheres near twilight and to me, it felt like a different author but it had a great story line once ya got past 1/4 of it or so. :)

i am gonna give ya a list of all the books i have at my finger tips. i was always an avid reader but stopped when i hit teens early 20's then only read everything by stephen king and mary higgins clark with the odd random author thrown in. i just started to get into reading again the past few years so i don't have a broad range yet but here is all the stuff i have. be warned, i LOVE the books that are directed towards teens, i may be in my early 30's but i am still a teen at heart, lol

supernatural books
my favorite author is kelley armstrong, anything you can get by her is awesome esp her otherworld series(they are directed at more 20/30yr olds).
house of night series by pc cast, LOVE these too!
wicked series (not my fave but interesting)
evermore by alyson noel (she has a continuing series as well)
blue bloods series (just started them and they remind me of vampire diaries meets gossip girl, fast fun reads)
anything by christopher pike (remember me, thirst series)
the vampire diares (goofy fun reads, LOVE the show as its more 'hardcore' but the books are entertaining, esp stefans diaries)
anything else by L J smith

suspense/thriller
love love love greg isles!
dean koontz (esp his newer books)

i am also enjoying everything by
joy fielding
lisa scottoline

and my new suspense/cop books are by Lisa Gardner...she rocks!

oh ya one of hte best books i read was 'the absense of nectar' by kathy hepinstall ((SP??) i will hafta find it to make sure i spelled it right. i would love to find more by her. now ya got me in teh mood to fill up my chapters cart online. now its your turn...what have you read/series do you love? i am into just about everything but not the romancy kind :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 17th, 2011, 9:12 am 
Almost an Islander

Thank you SOO much!
I'll start looking for the torrents, right now.
As for Divergent - it was very good. She left the end wide open though, which is always frustrating..

Some of my favourite books:

The Earth's Children Series (Clan of the Cave Bear, etc.) - Jean M. Auel
The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley
Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas - James Patterson
The Outlander series - Diana Gabaldon
Too Deep For Tears - Kathryn Lynn Davis
The Bachman Books - Richard Bachman (aka Stephen King)
Strange Highways - Dean Koontz
The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory

Profile E-mail