Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Shake Hands With The Devil ..by LGEN. Romeo Dallaire
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2010, 11:21 pm 
True Islander

Am almost finished reading this book , and find it very informative . It is about the genocide in Rwanda, written by the UN force commander of the UN peacekeeping force ( he is a canadian) ...a lot of detail and a hard read but should be read by all canadians especially...makes you appreciate our peace keeping forces...but the more i read the madder i get at how canadians are ignored and not appreciated for all they do, and what really took place...the lack of support that could have stopped the genocide and how some countries including and especially the US tried to take credit for things they promised in the media and never followed threw with..If you are not into just light reading i recomend this book. Anyone else read it ?? thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Shake Hands With The Devil ..by LGEN. Romeo Dallaire
PostPosted: October 24th, 2010, 8:50 am 
True Islander

Read it and watched the movie. Shows how inept the UN is at acting when action is needed. But when governments take action, they often face an uninformed electorate who will inevitably say that "we should mind our own business" and stay out.

And President Bill Clinton knew genocide was being committed in Rwanda but hid the story to justify his inaction. Military action, although required, would not have played well with his far-left base of support. And he was busy trying to hide his own scandal at home.

And of course, you can't ignore the absolute brutality of the ugly side of the culture in Rwanda. The level of corruption in many African countries is staggering. It is survival of the fittest and in many cases, survival of the most brutal. The weak and innocent lost their lives because of this brutality.

Dallaire attempted suicide a few times because of his experiences in Rwanda. Since, he has done much to tell the story. One that says you can't be a peacekeeper where there is no peace. And inaction will cost lives.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2010, 9:55 am 
True Islander

I've seen the movie,truly heart wrenching. How could the other Gov. do nothing while this was going on is beyond me. Gen. Dallaire is a true hero in my book,a man with alot of compassion. One of my fav. movies.

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy

PostPosted: October 24th, 2010, 12:09 pm 
True Islander

sure opens your eyes to the political side of things dosent it? sad