* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Sunday Brunch at Rodd Royalty for $16.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: stephen king appreciation thread
PostPosted: August 30th, 2010, 9:34 am 
Almost an Islander

huge fan, i've read almost everything he's put on paper over the years, most of them more than once. rather than polute the forum everytime i read or re-read one of his works i thought i'd limit myself to this thread.

king is the definitive author of fiction for my generation. i have never read another author's works that have held me the way a king novel does. anyone who is a fan knows what i'm talking about. his creativity is beyond explanation and his writing has come so far over the years, but has remained as riveting as ever.

i just finished reading under the dome. this was a great read. it's long, over 1000 pages, which is typical of a king novel. i was skeptical when i got the book as 1000 pages is a long read for a book about a town that is mysteriously covered by an invisible dome. the timeframe for the story takes place over 5 days. fortunately, there is also the typical huge cast of characters that only king has the ability to give life and color to.

i was a little disappointed in the ending as it played out with certain characters, but not to the point where it affected my opinion of the book as a whole. the plot moves along at a great pace. reading this novel made me wish that cell had been played out longer like he was able to do with this one.

i'm just starting duma key now as i missed out on that when it came out.

for anyone who's skeptical of getting into a king novel based on his reputation for horror, you may enjoy a lot of his newer novels. they're more based on the human aspects with elements of horror and sci-fi. some well known king novels that people aren't aware were his works are:

stand by me - the movie was actually basded on a stephen king short novel called the body

the shawshank redemption - i think everyone know's this movie but many are unaware it was a king novel.

the apt pupil - ditto to shawshank

i would recommend lisey's story to anyone interested in getting into king. it's one of his more recent works that has a real human element involved in the development. it strays into the realm of sci fi but is not overly dominated by this aspect.

Post subject: Re: stephen king appreciation thread
PostPosted: August 30th, 2010, 8:43 pm 
Almost an Islander

LOVE Stephen King!! Been a fan for years, though I haven't read the majority of his books. He just has such a way with his writing that keeps you so interested in his books, you can't help but read and read and read. I love "Eyes of the Dragon". It's something different from his usual realm of books, but still so awesome. "It" scared the living b'jeez out of me. "Desperation" was great. There are more that I have read, but those are some of the ones I really like. And, to anyone who like movies based on Stephen King books, read the book!! I have yet to see a movie that has done the book justice. Yes, there are some good movies based on his books. But the books are even more awesome. :)
"Sometimes being a b!tch is all that a woman has to hold onto." ~Dolores Claiborne~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 30th, 2010, 9:42 pm 
Almost an Islander

2 great choices eastern queen.

did you know that king wrote 2 versions of desperation? the other is called the regulators which he penned under the richard bachman pseudonym. this opens a can of worms for me that the thread would've eventually turned ot anyway: the dark tower series. unfortunately, it's too late for me to pursue this convo so i will save it for tomorrow.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 11:10 am 
Almost an Islander

I haven't gotten into the Dark Tower series, though I have wanted to. I think this winter, I should look into getting into that bunch of books. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 11:51 am 
Almost an Islander

let me know when you get to the 5th and the dawning realization of this man's genuis is revealed.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 12:28 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

partly skimmed wrote:
the shawshank redemption - i think everyone know's this movie but many are unaware it was a king novel.

Interesting tidbit. I had no idea it was a King novel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 12:58 pm 
Almost an Islander

hearts in atlantis is another great movie that many are unaware is a king novel. another great example regarding how his writing has developed over the years. the novel actually incorporates some of the dark tower story line, so there are elements of fantasy type writing but none of the typical horror that people expect from king.

this novel actually has a lot of emotional content in it as it examens the progression of life and the inevitable ending we all must face eventually. very thought provoking.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 1:14 pm 
True Islander

Armetis wrote:
partly skimmed wrote:

Short story, I believe, rather than novel.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 1:16 pm 

I am a Stephen King junkie too. I've read pretty well all of his old stuff although some of them were quite a while ago... and a fair bit of his newer stuff, but not all. I just bought "Under The Dome". I found it on sale for $10 (sweet deal) but haven't started it yet as I am currently just a little more than halfway through "Duma Key" and liking it. I've read the dark tower series and liked it as well. Thought the ending was twisted but that's not really a surprise for this author. I'd have to say my personal favorite book was probably "IT". Awesome book. The movie, not so good... Favorite movie from one of his books would have to be "Stand By Me" or "The Shining"

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 4:42 pm 
Almost an Islander

Rob MacD wrote:
Armetis wrote:
partly skimmed wrote:

Short story, I believe, rather than novel.

novella to be precise. it was included in the collection of king novellas called different seasons. 3 of the 4 stories have been adapted into major successful motion pictures, probably in the top 5 king movie adaptations.

the others are already mentioned in this thread the body (stand by me) and the apt pupil. the 4th, called the breathing method is quite good, but it's more of a campfire story than material for a movie.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2010, 9:38 pm 

Before I read Dumas Key, the Stand was my favourite king book. Needful Things and Gerald's Game were also favourites of mine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2010, 9:47 pm 

"It"
My favorite SK book to date.
Horrible movie version as is per usual for a SK book.

Best book to movie: Carrie

And that probably only applies to people who saw it around the days of release.

The Shining was also a good book/movie combo.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 9:19 pm 

I am reading the Dark Tower series now. I had read the first 4 years ago, but just finally got around to get the last books recently. I enjoyed the Wolves of Calla, but the last 2 books (Song of Susannah & the Dark Tower) have been a let down for me.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2010, 10:57 am 
Almost an Islander

i agree that the last 3 books didn't live up to the first 4. i was honestly disappointed with the neding, but how could it have ended any other way?

i really enjoyed the way it put a lot of his other books into the same common theme. the cyclic nature of life.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2010, 12:54 pm 
Almost an Islander

I've found that King likes to sneak in allusions to other pieces of his work in his books. He's done it more than once, and I love it. Like in "Eyes of the Dragon", the allusion to "IT".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 4th, 2010, 3:35 pm 
Almost an Islander

then you will absolutely love the last 3 books of the tower.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2010, 8:56 pm 
Entertainment Director

Not a huge Stephen King fan... but I do love his short stories, especially The Long Walk. And I liked Cell a lot.

Check out Heart Shaped Box, by Joe Hill. He's Stephen King's son. (He also wrote a book called Horns, but I haven't read it yet. :) )

PostPosted: September 4th, 2010, 10:50 pm 

Two short stories by King that I found profoundly disturbing:

Survivor Type- A doctor stranded on a desert Island resorts to eating his own body parts.

Grey Matter- A man drinks a tainted beer and slowly transforms into an unrecognizable blob.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 5th, 2010, 7:47 am 
Almost an Islander

the short stories are always pretty twisted. i would have to think long and hard to name any that stand out though. they were always more like filler between novels for me.

lots of movies have come from the short stories too; maximum overdrive, the mist, room 1309, the running man.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2010, 8:03 am 
Almost an Islander

partly skimmed wrote:
...lots of movies have come from the short stories too; maximum overdrive, the mist, room 1309, the running man.

I believe you mean Room 1408. :)

Profile E-mail