* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The Sookie Stackhouse books
PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 11:50 pm 

Has anyone else read them?

I just read the first book, Dead Until Dark, and then watched season 1 of True Blood. The book starts off a little odd (writing style and all) but it was am entertaining read. :) I really enjoyed the television series as well and I'm not sure which I like better!

I just bought the second book and I can't wait to get into it.
http://www.charlaineharris.com/bibliogr ... ookie.html

Post subject: Re: The Sookie Stackhouse books
PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 6:00 pm 
True Islander

I have read this series (and others by Charlaine Harris - the Harper Connelly series is not bad either) and quite enjoy them. I watched the first couple episodes of True Blood and found it really cheesy - couldn't get past the accents. I want to try again, but think I might have already jaded myself against it LOL. Maybe I'll just stick with the books.

One TV series that is of the 'supernatural' genre is 'Being Human' - that's a gooder!

PostPosted: May 21st, 2009, 10:06 am 
Entertainment Director

Yeah, I'm reading the most recent one "Dead and Gone". I like them, but I'm finding them the teensiest bit repetitive now. I mean, I like the story, but every book she explains things that have already been gone over in the last book and the one before. For example, if you've read the first one, you know what Merlotte's is, you don't need to be told at the beginning of every book. Not enough to keep me from reading them though. I kinda hope Sookie and Sam get together. :)

PostPosted: May 21st, 2009, 4:27 pm 
True Islander

Kitchen Party wrote:
Yeah, I'm reading the most recent one "Dead and Gone". I like them, but I'm finding them the teensiest bit repetitive now. I mean, I like the story, but every book she explains things that have already been gone over in the last book and the one before. For example, if you've read the first one, you know what Merlotte's is, you don't need to be told at the beginning of every book. Not enough to keep me from reading them though. I kinda hope Sookie and Sam get together. :)

That's a HUGE pet peeve of mine in a few series I read - the author takes up too much time explaining things that anyone who has been reading the series has known for several books (not always just recapping the previous one)...it drives me nuts. I understand why they do it for new readers but it drives me mad. Go pick up the first book and read from the beginning already! LOL

PostPosted: September 1st, 2009, 11:25 pm 

I'm in the middle of 'Living Dead in Dallas' right now :mrgreen: and have the others waiting on the shelf. Well, almost. I'm missing the next one ~ Club Dead ~ because it's been MIA from the bookstore. Lady said it should turn up this week though... I hope so! I can't very well go skipping to the fourth book from the second.

Haven't seen much of the show (yet) except for a few snippets on youtube ~ we don't have the channel that plays it.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2009, 6:46 pm 

Just finished the fourth book. I am starting to really dislike the repeating at the start of the book, though I understand why it's there it's frustrating to read because MOST people start at the beginning of a series and don't need a recap.

Second thing that's bothering me at this point is that certain bits are starting to read like a romance novel, which I'm not interested in.

So far though I have liked this one the best, ripped through it in one evening... not exactly literature but they're good fun. :)

PostPosted: November 14th, 2009, 7:38 pm 
Tourist

I've read all of them! Love them. Treu Blood is great too, but I always enjoy the books better. The story lines are so different from the books to the show that they are really 2 separate things.
There are a lot more characters to follow in the books and the stories move really quickly. Sometimes can seem like romance novels, but have quite a bit of action and humour too.
Now I want to read them again!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 16th, 2010, 12:20 am 

mutt wrote:
I'm in the middle of 'Living Dead in Dallas' right now :mrgreen: and have the others waiting on the shelf. Well, almost. I'm missing the next one ~ Club Dead ~ because it's been MIA from the bookstore. Lady said it should turn up this week though... I hope so! I can't very well go skipping to the fourth book from the second.

Haven't seen much of the show (yet) except for a few snippets on youtube ~ we don't have the channel that plays it.

Eight months later ~ I own all the books and have re-read the series several times. :lol:

I like it so much that I actually went out early in the morning on May 4th and snagged the newest book [Dead in the Family] in the hardcover that was released that day. I almost never do that - buy in hardcover, I mean - so it kinda says something to how much I love them. :P

I also own [and have watched] the first season of True Blood on dvd... took a bit to get over the shock of how... ummm... explicit... it is at times. :o

[shocking or not, I'm getting season two when it comes out on may 25th]

The show is quite different from the books ~ it's good, but it's very different.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 6:43 pm 
From Away

Season two is shocking ( a lot more explicit) but there isn't near enough of Sam Tramwell's bum showing this season..
The book series is great and from what I understand there will be 13 books in total for the book series so it will be interesting to see how it all goes for Sookie in the end!

Profile E-mail