Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Man's Search For Meaning..Viktor Frankl
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2008, 6:17 pm 

When my grandfather passed await several years ago, I inherited avery large collection of books...some one hundred years old. Anyway, this book was in the collection (which I recently discovered). It is not necessarily a biography (although he goes into slight detail), but more of a book about healing, acceptance, finding significance in one's life, and man's (our) search for meaning.

About the [b]Author...

Viktor Frankl M.D/Ph. D, was a survivor of the Nazi death camps during WW2 (his parents and pregnant wife were murdered). Kept memos of his horrific experiences and wrote this book five days after leaving. Frankl has published over 30 books on theoretical and clinical psychology. Frankl passed away in 1997 at the age of 92!

About the book.....

The book is divided into two parts, the first talks about the history behind Frankl's theory, the second discussing Frankl's theory of logotherapy (meaning of life). S. Freud theorized that man's main drive in life is pleasure (sex, money, etc.), as Frankl describes (and proves) that man's drive in life is the discovery and pursuit of what we find meaningful.
He also states that there are only two kinds of people in this world, decent men and indecent men. He says that some of the Nazi SS were decent (never abused and actually tried to help) as some of his fellow prisoners were indecent (abused/murdered the other prisoners in return for cigarettes and liquor).

Frankl uses examples throughout the book...for instance (paraphrasing not quoting)...

Twenty men would share one wooden bed, with only two blankets two share. They awoke every morning in sub-zero conditions and given a daily ration of food (small piece of bread, one cup of broth). I don't have to go into too much detail about the crimes committed against the prisoners..so you can imagine the conditions. The men and women were sent to work camps for 14 hours per day (no gloves, no jackets, no socks...some with no shoes). Frankl says that on one particular day, after being at the camp for several months that he got a tiny piece of potato in his cup of broth...he smiled at the potato. One small piece of vegetable gave him the will for meaning. Hope this makes sense.

Bottom line...if you are into self-help books or if you are struggling through tough times.....it is a must-read. It is very inspirational. Frankl doesn't go into graphic detail regarding suffering...as he didn't write the book to expose his experiences for attention/glorification...only to prove his theories and those of his comrades. In fact, names are not used..only first name initials (even for his abusers).

If anyone wants to borrow my book...PM me. Or, it can be purchased at Indigo for $16.95.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2008, 5:42 am 

I have a copy-- phenomenal book-- read it as part of an existential writings class at university. Funny you bring it up-- just saw it in the bookcase at the house the other day and thought it was about time to reread it.

Profile E-mail