* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Sunday Brunch at Rodd Royalty for $16.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2008, 10:04 pm 
True Islander

Jenn, my girl finished the first book tonight. Could she possibly borrow the second one? Maybe I could get it from you at work Tuesday?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2008, 10:43 pm 

Sure! - you may want to remind me via PM on Monday night - just so that I don't forget it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 4th, 2008, 10:28 am 

Finally finished last night.

Thought it was really good - Meyer did a great job of tying up all of the story lines that have criss-crossed over the previous books.

I also liked that she left the ending as she did - it leaves everything open for more stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5th, 2008, 1:59 pm 
True Islander

From Perez Hilton:

J.K. Rowling can pass the torch over to Stephenie Meyer now.

Meyer's Breaking Dawn, the fourth book in her Twilight series sold 1.3 million copies on its first day of release, August 2nd.

For those of you bad with math, that's A LOT of books!

This past Friday night, thousands of bookstores and libraries hosted midnight parties across the country to help fuel these astounding figures.

We mentioned previously that due to the overwhelming demand for the title, the publisher went back for a second printing of 500,000 copies prior to publication, to the current in-print figure of 3.7 million copies.

The publisher has also confirmed the upcoming publication of The Twilight Saga: The Official Guide.

It will be available on December 30th.

The hardcover book will be the only official guide to the series and will provide readers with everything they need to further explore the world Meyer created in the Twilight Saga.

Said book will contain exclusive new material, character profiles, genealogical charts, maps, extensive cross-references and so much more!

We heart anything vampires!

Can't wait to see the Twilight movie later this year!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2008, 2:38 pm 
True Islander

Well I thoroughly enjoyed the book too and was happy with how things were left. My jaw dropped at a couple points because I did not see some of the stuff coming - which happily surprised me because I'm usually pretty good at getting a feel for what *might* be coming down the pike....Stephenie pulled a couple jaw droppers - woot woot!

She's a great writer all around and I'm looking forward to more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26th, 2008, 6:06 pm 

edited by admin

Post subject: Re: Twilight Series - Stephanie Meyer
PostPosted: January 17th, 2009, 7:19 pm 

my friend gave me the "twilight" book to read for our drive back to ottawa after the holidays....and by gave, i mean she pressured me to read it! So i read it...and thought it was absolutely awful.

I finished it only because i said i would, and to maybe figure out how/why these are so popular. the writing is awful, the story is boring, the underlying issues in the book are disturbing, considering how many young girls read these books.

in any case, i won't be continuing the series. kind of makes me sad because i'm pretty much the only person i know who hates these books.

and before anyone can say "oh at least it's getting people reading"....nah. doesn't work for this book. its just that bad!!!

/sorry if i offfend anyone! i'm sure there's books i like that most don't!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2009, 12:22 pm 

belle_nelle wrote:
I finished it only because i said i would, and to maybe figure out how/why these are so popular. the writing is awful, the story is boring, the underlying issues in the book are disturbing, considering how many young girls read these books.

explain how it's "disturbing, considering how many young girls read these books"?

PostPosted: July 27th, 2009, 12:50 pm 
Almost an Islander

I don't see how it's "disturbing," but I agree with pretty much everything else. Bella's whiney, Edward's boring, Jacob doesn't get enough print time. That about sums it up.

My sister suggested I actually read the books since I'd been teasing her for liking them. I thought that was fair so I read all four. I felt they did get better toward the end of the series, but any comparisons to Rowling make me sick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 6th, 2009, 12:13 pm 

Fierah wrote:
I don't see how it's "disturbing," but I agree with pretty much everything else. Bella's whiney, Edward's boring, Jacob doesn't get enough print time. That about sums it up.

My sister suggested I actually read the books since I'd been teasing her for liking them. I thought that was fair so I read all four. I felt they did get better toward the end of the series, but any comparisons to Rowling make me sick.

I think the disturbing thing is the romanticizing of an obsessive relationship between a 17 year old and a 100 year old who looks 25. Besides that yeah it's just awful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 10th, 2009, 8:05 pm 

A couple of weeks ago, I snagged the Twilight movie from a "previously viewed" bin at a rental place - I'd heard of it, but not really been interested... daughter knew of it (she's 12) and had asked about renting it before, but I'd never...

Well. I watched it with her - and though it was pretty good. I got curious, wanted to know what was gonna happen next... so i went out to have a look at the books ~ and got mad. Discovered the dang things were written in the first person - a style I tend to avoid like the plague.

I was so GRRRR because I really did want to read them and didn't think I could tolerate the first person style... until I went to the author's website and started reading through a chapter available there....

I went out and bought all the books. Read through all of them in just a few days - couldn't put them down for very long. I haven't read for hours on end like that in forever. :P

Sure, they aren't gonna be for everyone. They were never meant to be ~ no story ever is, really. :)

PostPosted: August 16th, 2009, 9:16 pm 

mutt wrote:
I went out and bought all the books. Read through all of them in just a few days - couldn't put them down for very long. I haven't read for hours on end like that in forever. :P

And another person has been sucked into the vortex of horrific writing. No offense meant, by any means! I just don't get it. A bunch of my friends are OBSESSED. I thought Twilight was one of the most atrociously boring books I've ever read.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 11:25 pm 

tollfree wrote:
mutt wrote:

And another person has been sucked into the vortex of horrific writing. No offense meant, by any means! I just don't get it. A bunch of my friends are OBSESSED. I thought Twilight was one of the most atrociously boring books I've ever read.

It's the story that drew me in ~ a story can be told in a very rough manner, yet still be quite entertaining. :)

PostPosted: August 27th, 2009, 8:39 am 
Newly Created Account

It is very interesting saga about vampires, i like Stefani stories very much :lol:

Profile E-mail