Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Twilight Series - Stephanie Meyer
PostPosted: January 20th, 2008, 11:50 pm 

I just completed the final book in this trilogy - although it is a series aimed at teens - I found myself completely enjoying each book.

The books centre about Isabella Swan, a teenager who moves to a small town named Forks to live with her father Charlie. On her first day of school she meets the vampire Edward and soon falls in love.

Meyer does a good job of creating a group of characters and a story line that is interesting and compelling. I can't wait for the next book in the series.

I enjoyed all of the books but Eclipse was by far the best.

An interesting article on CBC.ca about Meyer and the Twilight series:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/books/meyer.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 7:17 am 
True Islander

Me too! I read the first one a few months ago and got the second two for Christmas and had them done by New Years - LOVED the series. It left me hanging though - I haven't had time to see if there's a fourth coming or a new series that will be born out of Bell's pending change...or Jacob for that matter...what do you think? I loved the characters as well - they were all so well developed and just very enjoyable.

I'm down to two books left from CHristmas - one I've stuck deep into my suitcase for next week's travel to BC...the other will be devoured by this weekend I'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 7:56 am 

Paella - I also was left hanging a bit.... but I knew there was a new coming along so it helped ease that with me.

I checked out Meyer's web site and there is a fourth book coming sometime this year - Fall I think.

I have a feeling it will continue on with the upcoming change/wedding. Nothing can go all that smoothly. But even a book surrounding Jacob would be good. As the series went on I really swung to like him best. So I liked the turn the epilogue went.

Meyer also has a new book coming out geared towards adults called The Host. I think it is coming out in May 2008 or even sooner. Can't wait to check that out - it's listed on indigo if you are interested in a synopsis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 12:32 pm 
True Islander

WOOT WOOT! Thanks for that Jenn - hadn't had a chance to check for another book - this was toted as a trilogy, wasn't it? Either way, it definately couldn't end as it did - whew.

Looking forward to the adult-geared one (although the youth/teen books were very well written and were really only 'missing' sex to keep it from being an adult book IMO).

Do you read these Supernatural books often ie: Hamilton, Armstrong, Harris, Davidson, Green, Harrison, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 5:55 pm 

Yup - it's a trilogy for the time being - until the new book is released! I really hope she hasn't suffered writer's block or anything of the like!

They're also turning Twilight into a movie - to be released in 2009 - the girl that is playing Bella is an unknown but Robert Pattison (played Cedric Diggory in the HP films) is playing Edward. I suppose he's an unknown to everyone but me!!

I've read all of the Kelley Armstrong books and have thoroughly enjoyed each one.

Tried out one of the Laurell K. Hamilton books but I didn't enjoy it. I was told by one of my friends that reads a lot of supernatural books that the one I read wasn't the best one to start with.

She's also recommended - Patricia Briggs and the Dresden files to read. I will probably look into them -we're usually on the same wavelength for books!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 6:06 pm 
True Islander

jennlynn wrote:
Yup - it's a trilogy for the time being - until the new book is released! I really hope she hasn't suffered writer's block or anything of the like!

They're also turning Twilight into a movie - to be released in 2009 - the girl that is playing Bella is an unknown but Robert Pattison (played Cedric Diggory in the HP films) is playing Edward. I suppose he's an unknown to everyone but me!!

I've read all of the Kelley Armstrong books and have thoroughly enjoyed each one.

Tried out one of the Laurell K. Hamilton books but I didn't enjoy it. I was told by one of my friends that reads a lot of supernatural books that the one I read wasn't the best one to start with.

She's also recommended - Patricia Briggs and the Dresden files to read. I will probably look into them -we're usually on the same wavelength for books!

Never heard of Briggs - but yes, the Dresden files (Jim Butcher) are kick ass! Love them. I really enjoy Laurell K Hamilton's although a few in the middle got a little too smutty, they were good. There's two major series - the Anita Blake (vamps, shapeshifters) and the Merry Gentry (faerie) I like em both, some books are definitely better than others though...like any author I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 1:00 pm 

Was checking out Meyer's web site over lunch hoping to find a preview of her new book The Host or even a preview of the new Twilight book - which is called Breaking Dawn but had no luck.

What I did find was the first chapter of a piece called Midnight Sun which tells the first chapter of Twilight from Edwards PoV. Very good - in the blurb linking to this she says she's written 20 chapters - I hope she publishes it!

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midni ... apter1.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 10th, 2008, 11:39 am 

Update on the Twilight series - Book 4 - Breaking Dawn will be released on August 2, 2008. It will have a midnight release á la Harry Potter.

Can't wait to read this book - I'd say that I am almost as excited as I was for Deathly Hallows but I don't think it will warrant a visit to the book store at midnight.

The press release said it was the finale.... hope it's a great one!

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/breakingdawn.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 12:55 pm 

The release day is quickly approaching for Breaking Dawn! I have started to re-read the other books to re-familiarize myself with the characters. Almost finished Twlight - I expect to breeze through the other two by the weekend. (I hope)

Anyone else excited for this book to come out? I've pre-ordered it myself but I'm still torn on if I'll head to indigo for their launch party and pick it up at midnight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2008, 2:41 pm 
Entertainment Director

I'm going. I need to get it as soon as I possibly can. I don't think I could wait 'til Saturday morning :) I'm such a geek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2008, 7:04 pm 
Tourist

So you'd definitely recommend this series of books? I've heard my co-workers raving about them but I can't imagine a teen oriented novel catching my interest .....but who knows unless I try, I guess?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2008, 7:20 pm 

Yup - it is a good series. I have another friend that's an avid reader and she enjoyed them a lot as well. Although you do have to enjoy books about vampires and werewolves as well!

From what I've read - the adult audience for this book is as large as the teen audience it's geared towards.

Also - Meyer has a novel on the market for adults as well. It's called the Host. Was a great read!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2008, 9:21 pm 
True Islander

We just left the Indigo party, w00t! They sure know how to do things right. We had so much fun. My girl bought the first book, hope she likes it!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2008, 11:50 pm 

They sure do - very well organized for book pick up as well. I was out of there by 12:08.

Cheri - I hope your girl enjoys the book. If she does - and would like to borrow the other three - just let me know I have them all!

Can't wait to dive into Breaking Dawn..... still have to finish re-reading New Moon and Eclipse first!

So excited!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2008, 11:57 pm 
True Islander

Oh thanks so much! We are having it so hard right now, she is barely getting any shifts and with back to school, that trip to Ottawa that she is going on, and grad this year! So it would be great if she could borrow them.

I am still trying to get her to bed....she loves the book so far!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2008, 12:32 am 

I remember getting sucked (hahaha - pardon the pun) into Twilight.... if she's like me she won't put the book down until it's done.

Even the second time reading it - once I was into it - I had to read until I was done.

I figure once I start Breaking Dawn I'll be anti-social until it's finished!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2008, 7:53 am 
Entertainment Director

I wish I'd known you guys were gonna be there, we could've met up :)

I'm about 100 pages in... part of me wants to tear right through it, part of me wants to read it slowly, since it's the end of the series.

(Though, I've read that Stephenie Meyer is planning on publishing Midnight Sun, Twilight from Edwards point of view, but it could be a few years 'til we get that...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2008, 12:47 pm 

It could have been a mini meet and greet! I actually decided at like quarter to 11 to head down. I knew I wouldn't be getting right into the book so I figured I'd wait. But then boredom took over and off I went!

About half-way through Eclipse now - hope to start on Breaking Dawn by tonight or tomorrow - I also want to savour the book but I know once I get into it I'll be obsessed until I'm done. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2008, 8:31 am 
Entertainment Director

I finished it this morning. :) Let me know when you're done, I'm itching to talk about it to someone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2008, 9:58 pm 

I have about a 1/3 of the novel left - I'll PM you when I'm finished!

I will say - so far there's been twists I didn't expect!