* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Liberal Moratorium on Super Boxes
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2015, 8:28 pm 

Curious to hear opinions on the Liberal Party's decision to place a moratorium on the expansion of Super Boxes. I thought Canada Post was a Crown Corporation that was supposed to operate as an independent body from government. Canada Post has spent millions on this program. What will it cost us taxpayers to end this process?

Will the Liberals be getting rid of all Super Boxes? I've been getting my mail from a Super Box for the last 25 years and I live in Charlottetown.
If I am going to continue to pay for door to door delivery through the cost of stamps and taxes, shouldn't I also be getting the same service?

In my opinion, this election promise by Mr. Trudeau's government was ill conceived and somewhat opportunistic to buy votes.

Post subject: Re: Liberal Moratorium on Super Boxes
PostPosted: October 24th, 2015, 10:58 am 
Almost an Islander

Canada Post made $194 million last year, and even though, in theory, it is an arms length Crown Corporation, the head of Canada Post is appointed by the Government of the day, ensuring their plans are carried out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2015, 6:48 pm 
Almost an Islander

I'm all for delivering mail door to door.

What I am not for is paying people 50-60K/year for going for a stroll 5 times a week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2015, 8:43 pm 

Interesting I tried to nail down what the letter carriers get paid but really can't find it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 26th, 2015, 6:33 pm 

Hi Townie2
I understand that the biggest two factors that resulted in the Canada Post's profit was a decline in Labour costs by $250 Million and the significant increase in the cost of mailing a letter or parcel. During 2014 they converted 100,000 addresses from door to door to superboxes. Mail delivery volumes continued to decline in 2014. The labour savings came from reducing staff and the fact the the employee pension plan did better than expected.

Now if the government tells Canada Post that they are to reinstate door to door delivery, that would mean hiring more staff to deliver to those addresses that were previously converted to superboxes. Then what about other Canadians, such as me, who have been getting my mail from a superbox for the previous 25 years?
Why should I be subsidizing door to door delivery? I live in Charlottetown in a suburban area.

The Liberal Party has made "Fairness" a cornerstone of its election platform. How is it fair to have half the residents of Charlottetown getting door to door delivery while the other half are required to use Superboxes?

Now what will it cost Canada Post to treat all Canadians living in a suburban area equally? The answer, I am sure, is billions. Did you know that only 32% of Canadians get door to door delivery. Why should the other 68% be subsidizing this cost?