PEIinfo Logo
  Top Banner

Listings Coming Soon
 
Home
* FAQ
* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Taco Bar at Chartwells UPEI for $4.99 [Remind Me]

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 27th, 2015, 6:05 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: February 25th, 2013, 8:36 pm
Posts: 1526
screenname wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

If you can associate one's expression on inadequate candidates to a slap in the face to veterans who fought, then I'm afraid we're miles apart on this notion.

and how would you answer the OPs question?
Quote:
I have no idea who to vote for lots of good candidates but nothing they offer benefits me in anyway. Hate for my vote not to count very confusing.

Quite simply it is you sir/madam who is way off base. To suggest to vote for no one is THE slap in the face, and a complete disgrace.

The answer of who to vote for lies in the first sentence "lot's of good candidates" You pick the candidate you feel will do the best job, and place your "x" beside their name. It is that simple.

Again, I say to you, if you feel there is no credible candidate then why is your name not on the ballot?



You talk as if I 'm trying to abolish voting and it's about time you people started thinking outside that comfort zone. The system is seriously flawed and it's time to start thinking about how to fix it.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 27th, 2015, 6:31 pm 
Offline
Tourist

Joined: January 20th, 2015, 2:36 pm
Posts: 23
screenname wrote:
why is your name not on the ballot?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 27th, 2015, 8:09 pm 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: November 16th, 2014, 12:56 am
Posts: 286
Gardiner wrote:
EunoiaBeauregard wrote:
In Ontario & the prairies there is the option to vote "none of the above", sort of. You still go to the poll, but instead of submitting a ballot you let the returning officer know you're declining to vote and they make a note of it.

Here in PEI we don't have that option, so the best you can do is submit a blank vote. Rejected ballots are counted and reported, although there's no way to know whether someone nullified their ballot on purpose or by mistake. But I believe a blank vote speaks louder than no vote at all.

Blake asks a good question though. I don't know who listens to the message that declined / rejected ballots send. Once the election's over, whoever's in power carries on, business as usual. I think it would take a lot of protest votes to elicit electoral reform, but that's not a good enough reason to stay quiet. The alternative of voting for someone you don't support seems foolish to me.

Blank votes could work and send some type of message.

Now wouldn't that be an interesting Party promise......introduction of electoral reform.

On another related note, I'm also a believer in some sort of candidate training before one can run for office.



You say you are interested in electoral reform yet you would waste a vote instead of voting for a party that supports a change to proportional representation.
Doesn't sound like you are very serious.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 27th, 2015, 10:10 pm 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: May 4th, 2008, 2:13 am
Posts: 6461
screenname wrote:
Utterly ridiculous. The entire notion of this a slap in the face to veterans who fought for your right to vote.

Good grief, when was that war?

_________________
Linux User 412309
openSUSE-KDE give it a try today
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 7:25 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: February 25th, 2013, 8:36 pm
Posts: 1526
Blake McKinley wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
EunoiaBeauregard wrote:
In Ontario & the prairies there is the option to vote "none of the above", sort of. You still go to the poll, but instead of submitting a ballot you let the returning officer know you're declining to vote and they make a note of it.

Here in PEI we don't have that option, so the best you can do is submit a blank vote. Rejected ballots are counted and reported, although there's no way to know whether someone nullified their ballot on purpose or by mistake. But I believe a blank vote speaks louder than no vote at all.

Blake asks a good question though. I don't know who listens to the message that declined / rejected ballots send. Once the election's over, whoever's in power carries on, business as usual. I think it would take a lot of protest votes to elicit electoral reform, but that's not a good enough reason to stay quiet. The alternative of voting for someone you don't support seems foolish to me.

Blank votes could work and send some type of message.

Now wouldn't that be an interesting Party promise......introduction of electoral reform.

On another related note, I'm also a believer in some sort of candidate training before one can run for office.



You say you are interested in electoral reform yet you would waste a vote instead of voting for a party that supports a change to proportional representation.
Doesn't sound like you are very serious.

Again, I don't consider it a wasted vote and I believe more than one party has supported that idea, but supporting one general idea(policy) is not sufficient evidence to elect that party into power. If anything, I'm the opposite of "not very series" and I'm tried of us voting in the wrong group of candidates just because we except the fact that these are the best of the worst and we have nothing else to look forward to but for more years of regretting our choices.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 12:50 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: November 12th, 2004, 8:55 am
Posts: 2160
Location: Islander
Gardiner wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
EunoiaBeauregard wrote:
In Ontario & the prairies there is the option to vote "none of the above", sort of. You still go to the poll, but instead of submitting a ballot you let the returning officer know you're declining to vote and they make a note of it.

Here in PEI we don't have that option, so the best you can do is submit a blank vote. Rejected ballots are counted and reported, although there's no way to know whether someone nullified their ballot on purpose or by mistake. But I believe a blank vote speaks louder than no vote at all.

Blake asks a good question though. I don't know who listens to the message that declined / rejected ballots send. Once the election's over, whoever's in power carries on, business as usual. I think it would take a lot of protest votes to elicit electoral reform, but that's not a good enough reason to stay quiet. The alternative of voting for someone you don't support seems foolish to me.

Blank votes could work and send some type of message.

Now wouldn't that be an interesting Party promise......introduction of electoral reform.

On another related note, I'm also a believer in some sort of candidate training before one can run for office.



You say you are interested in electoral reform yet you would waste a vote instead of voting for a party that supports a change to proportional representation.
Doesn't sound like you are very serious.

Again, I don't consider it a wasted vote and I believe more than one party has supported that idea, but supporting one general idea(policy) is not sufficient evidence to elect that party into power. If anything, I'm the opposite of "not very series" and I'm tried of us voting in the wrong group of candidates just because we except the fact that these are the best of the worst and we have nothing else to look forward to but for more years of regretting our choices.


Wouldn't voter turn out (or lack of) express this sentiment just as well?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 2:59 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: February 25th, 2013, 8:36 pm
Posts: 1526
alandla wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
EunoiaBeauregard wrote:
In Ontario & the prairies there is the option to vote "none of the above", sort of. You still go to the poll, but instead of submitting a ballot you let the returning officer know you're declining to vote and they make a note of it.

Here in PEI we don't have that option, so the best you can do is submit a blank vote. Rejected ballots are counted and reported, although there's no way to know whether someone nullified their ballot on purpose or by mistake. But I believe a blank vote speaks louder than no vote at all.

Blake asks a good question though. I don't know who listens to the message that declined / rejected ballots send. Once the election's over, whoever's in power carries on, business as usual. I think it would take a lot of protest votes to elicit electoral reform, but that's not a good enough reason to stay quiet. The alternative of voting for someone you don't support seems foolish to me.

Blank votes could work and send some type of message.

Now wouldn't that be an interesting Party promise......introduction of electoral reform.

On another related note, I'm also a believer in some sort of candidate training before one can run for office.



You say you are interested in electoral reform yet you would waste a vote instead of voting for a party that supports a change to proportional representation.
Doesn't sound like you are very serious.

Again, I don't consider it a wasted vote and I believe more than one party has supported that idea, but supporting one general idea(policy) is not sufficient evidence to elect that party into power. If anything, I'm the opposite of "not very series" and I'm tried of us voting in the wrong group of candidates just because we except the fact that these are the best of the worst and we have nothing else to look forward to but for more years of regretting our choices.


Wouldn't voter turn out (or lack of) express this sentiment just as well?


To some degree it will, but there could be other factors in low voter turn out. Let me ask you and others this question.

If you had a choice in "not voting at all" or "voting for a none of the above option" which one would you chose?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 7:18 pm 
Offline
From Away

Joined: January 28th, 2012, 1:35 pm
Posts: 88
alandla wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
Again, I don't consider it a wasted vote and I believe more than one party has supported that idea, but supporting one general idea(policy) is not sufficient evidence to elect that party into power. If anything, I'm the opposite of "not very series" and I'm tried of us voting in the wrong group of candidates just because we except the fact that these are the best of the worst and we have nothing else to look forward to but for more years of regretting our choices.
Wouldn't voter turn out (or lack of) express this sentiment just as well?
To me, not voting shows apathy whereas spoiling your ballot shows active dissatisfaction.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 7:25 pm 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: November 16th, 2014, 12:56 am
Posts: 286
Gardiner wrote:

If you had a choice in "not voting at all" or "voting for a none of the above option" which one would you chose?



Neither one will ever be an option for me.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 7:34 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: November 12th, 2004, 8:55 am
Posts: 2160
Location: Islander
Gardiner wrote:
If you had a choice in "not voting at all" or "voting for a none of the above option" which one would you chose?


Given that choice, I suppose I would choose none of the above.

Although, I tend to equate apathy with dissatisfaction. One could say it's lazy and that may be true for some but I think it's more because there just isn't anything or anyone worth voting for.

One could also argue that up to 25% of voters will vote red or blue because that's the way it's been done (thankfully that number is shrinking with each generation). Is that really much better?

Over a 25 years span, I have gone from attending rallies (even sat in on an MLA's strategy meeting once) to not voting in this or the last election. I don't try to dissuade anyone from voting but I just do not engage anymore because it all seems futile until we see some real change in how things are done, proportional representation being a good start.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 8:12 pm 
Offline
Tourist

Joined: January 20th, 2015, 2:36 pm
Posts: 23
betamaxman wrote:
screenname wrote:
Utterly ridiculous. The entire notion of this a slap in the face to veterans who fought for your right to vote.

Good grief, when was that war?



World war 2 was obviously about oil, and not about dictators aggressions.

I stand corrected.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 8:16 pm 
Offline
New Member

Joined: December 1st, 2012, 10:36 pm
Posts: 13
Gardiner wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:
I'll ask again. How would any of this improve the system?


Actually the topic of the thread is how does one vote when none of the options can offer anything. This option could improve the level of effort some of these candidates actually put into their campaign. Again, I'll use my riding as an example. I want to vote for a change and I'm not so sure the new PC canidate deserves my vote as I know nothing about her and I refuse to vote red and IMO to vote any other color would be a wasted vote.


Quote:
I have no idea who to vote for lots of good candidates but nothing they offer benefits me in anyway. Hate for my vote not to count very confusing.



You hit the nail right on the head with that statement. I change my mind and have done my homework and I'm voting for a new change a completely new change. Thanks everyone for you feed back.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 8:23 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: November 12th, 2004, 8:55 am
Posts: 2160
Location: Islander
screenname wrote:
betamaxman wrote:
screenname wrote:
Utterly ridiculous. The entire notion of this a slap in the face to veterans who fought for your right to vote.

Good grief, when was that war?



World war 2 was obviously about oil, and not about dictators aggressions.

I stand corrected.


Cough up that flag before you choke on it :wink: . WW2 didn't affect a Canadian's right to vote. We fought bravely defending our allies abroad against aggression but we weren't in any imminent danger.

It diminishes a discussion somewhat when exaggerations are thrown about like that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 28th, 2015, 11:02 pm 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: May 4th, 2008, 2:13 am
Posts: 6461
I for one am tired feeling fooled a few years after the person I voted for wines his seat or thinking others have been fooled by voting for whoever won that I didn't vote for. Doesn't seem to matter anymore. It's like these people are either professional politicians who are trained at getting our vote but are clueless of how to run the government when they get in, or are simply interested in winning to further an agenda of their own. Either way no matter their stripe none of them ever seems to keep on the track they ran on and promised us.
It's like that old who's song, and I'm sure we all remember how that goes.

_________________
Linux User 412309
openSUSE-KDE give it a try today
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 7:50 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: February 25th, 2013, 8:36 pm
Posts: 1526
grumpysmurf wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:
I'll ask again. How would any of this improve the system?


Actually the topic of the thread is how does one vote when none of the options can offer anything. This option could improve the level of effort some of these candidates actually put into their campaign. Again, I'll use my riding as an example. I want to vote for a change and I'm not so sure the new PC canidate deserves my vote as I know nothing about her and I refuse to vote red and IMO to vote any other color would be a wasted vote.


Quote:
I have no idea who to vote for lots of good candidates but nothing they offer benefits me in anyway. Hate for my vote not to count very confusing.



You hit the nail right on the head with that statement. I change my mind and have done my homework and I'm voting for a new change a completely new change. Thanks everyone for you feed back.


I'm glad to hear that you got something from all these different opinions and I too, after some thought and homework, will vote for a new change as well.


I also want to add one more comment about my red and blue choices, after speaking to them one on one this is what I got.

Red candidate - Doesn't appear to have an opinion on anything other than the fact that they have new leader.

Blue candidate - Apparently she grew up in our district.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 9:28 am 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: November 16th, 2014, 12:56 am
Posts: 286
deleted. Wrong topic.


Last edited by Blake McKinley on April 29th, 2015, 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: vote time
PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 9:29 am 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: November 16th, 2014, 12:56 am
Posts: 286
Gardiner wrote:
....after some thought and homework, will vote for a new change as well.




That Sir, is the kind of statement I love to hear.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group