Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Election
PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 9:28 am 
Tourist

Wade MacLauchlan could be in tough winning his own district. Has the leader ever lost in his or her own district?

Post subject: Re: Election
PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 9:43 am 
Almost an Islander

Hasn't happened in PEI from what I can recall and it's not going to happen this year.
Not sure where your information is coming from but MacLauchlan is going to win his seat easily.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 10:24 pm 

Of course it's happened before. The year the Liberals were wiped out except for Ron MacKinley.

Hope it happens again this year. After eight years of incompetence corruption and lies do you really think they deserve another term? Give your heads a shake. Do you remember the pledge not to implement the HST. Then shortly after the re-election here comes the HST. Then we were told that the HST would generate 10s of millions of dollars that would lead to a balanced budget by 2014-2015. Then it was pushed back another year. Now Wade MacLaughlan is stating that his government will work towards a balanced budget with no projected date for accomplishing it. Just a vague commitment.
It was really nice (NOT) seeing front page stories about our Province in the Globe and Mail telling everyone how the good old boys were profiting from inside info, first on the PNP abuse and later about E-gaming. It made us look like a 3rd world banana republic. Then we have our $4 million Geo Sweep investment. How's that working for you? It may have worked out well for Wes Sheridan if the rumors are true about his new job with Atlantic Lotto

Now c'mon, Do you honestly think these Shysters deserve a 3rd term? We simply can't afford anymore of this.

Lies corruption and more lies. Time for a change.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2015, 7:42 am 
Almost an Islander

Pat Binns had already been premier by the time the 2003 election happened.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 30th, 2015, 10:48 am 
True Islander

Reggie The Shark wrote:
Of course it's happened before. The year the Liberals were wiped out except for Ron MacKinley.

Hope it happens again this year. After eight years of incompetence corruption and lies do you really think they deserve another term? Give your heads a shake. Do you remember the pledge not to implement the HST. Then shortly after the re-election here comes the HST. Then we were told that the HST would generate 10s of millions of dollars that would lead to a balanced budget by 2014-2015. Then it was pushed back another year. Now Wade MacLaughlan is stating that his government will work towards a balanced budget with no projected date for accomplishing it. Just a vague commitment.
It was really nice (NOT) seeing front page stories about our Province in the Globe and Mail telling everyone how the good old boys were profiting from inside info, first on the PNP abuse and later about E-gaming. It made us look like a 3rd world banana republic. Then we have our $4 million Geo Sweep investment. How's that working for you? It may have worked out well for Wes Sheridan if the rumors are true about his new job with Atlantic Lotto

Now c'mon, Do you honestly think these Shysters deserve a 3rd term? We simply can't afford anymore of this.

Would've been no different under another party. Just pei politics.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2015, 12:09 pm 
Almost an Islander

betamaxman wrote:
Reggie The Shark wrote:

exactly, the Government before that it was golf courses, fish plants and dozens of human rights cases paid out, it's something with every Government.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 30th, 2015, 6:03 pm 
True Islander

townie2 wrote:
betamaxman wrote:
Reggie The Shark wrote:

exactly, the Government before that it was golf courses, fish plants and dozens of human rights cases paid out, it's something with every Government.

And this is an example of attitude why we have no accountability when it does happen.
Can one imagine if we applied this to one who has been robbed and if they get robbed again we can can say oh well they are used to it,they have been robbed before.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2015, 7:46 pm 
Almost an Islander

I think it was under Binns gov when they forced a bunch of teachers/nurses to retire. They paid extra bonuses/severance to make them retire early. They did this because they thought it would save money.

Then they went and rehired them because not enough workers...
Article about it.
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Business/2 ... long-run/1

In 8 years from now after Cons in power we'll be complaining about them.
It's all patronage jobs and promises to those who get them elected.

Who wrote/approved the $1 million dollar e-gaming cheque? Sheridan? And yet he got to retire with severance and pensions.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2015, 8:18 pm 

I get a little tired of this "they promised not to bring in the HST" line. I'd like anyone to show me in print a time when during the election campaign either Ghiz or Sheridan actually said that. It's not part of their campaign platform, if anything they tended to avoid the issue. The one time it came to a head in a leaders debate I think Ghiz said something to the effect that they had no plans to, but weaseled out of promising not to. Their consistent position was that the feds weren't promising big enough compensation, which I think fairly clearly signals they could be bought at the right price.
If you voted for them thinking they had promised that you weren't paying attention.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2015, 10:23 pm 
True Islander

sentance wrote:
I get a little tired of this "they promised not to bring in the HST" line. I'd like anyone to show me in print a time when during the election campaign either Ghiz or Sheridan actually said that. It's not part of their campaign platform, if anything they tended to avoid the issue. The one time it came to a head in a leaders debate I think Ghiz said something to the effect that they had no plans to, but weaseled out of promising not to. Their consistent position was that the feds weren't promising big enough compensation, which I think fairly clearly signals they could be bought at the right price.
If you voted for them thinking they had promised that you weren't paying attention.

http://www.journalpioneer.com/Decision- ... o-to-HST/1

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2015, 8:22 am 
Almost an Islander

To point out the relevant parts.

Quote:
Premier Robert Ghiz says he has no intention of implementing the HST unless the federal government is prepared to exempt a series of products that are already exempt of the PST in P.E.I. Those include electricity and home heating fuel.

"We're not bringing in any HST that's detrimental to Islanders," Ghiz told The Guardian.
But Ghiz denied talks are ongoing to implement the HST.

"I'm not sure where this comes from but I have been involved in no secret negotiations whatsoever with regards to the HST."

Ghiz said if the federal government did exempt electricity and home heating fuel, he might consider the HST.

We have HST on electricity. Also on haircuts, propane/wood heating sources (oil only exemption) and other things. So he really lowered his standards for implementing it.
I would consider it a broken promise.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2015, 9:08 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

balkoth wrote:

And no politician has ever broken a campaign promise :lol:

A reality of life in Canada (and likely any democracy) is that every politician of every stripe at every level of politics has had to break a campaign promise. Sometimes it is an empty promise to begin with but often it is a promise that can't be honoured because of changing circumstances.

If you refuse to vote a certain way because of one or two broken campaign promises - disregarding all the campaign promises that were honoured - you'll be voting against the incumbent (or incumbent party) at each and every municipal, provincial or federal election for the rest of your life :wink:

That said, the way the HST was implemented (as good as it was for the PEI business community and therefore the economy) was a disappointment (there could have been ways to soften the blow for low income Islanders, much the same as other provinces did when they implemented HST)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2015, 1:33 pm 
Almost an Islander

Politicians break campaign promises so lets not hold them accountable.
Let's just pretend it doesn't happen and keep electing the same crew over and over again.
As long as they wear the right color tie right?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2015, 3:38 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Blake McKinley wrote:
Let's just pretend it doesn't happen and keep electing the same crew over and over again.

I'm sorry if that is the impression you got about what I said. I must have worded it incorrectly for you to misunderstand it so badly. My bad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2015, 3:42 pm 

balkoth wrote:
To point out the relevant parts.

Quote:
Premier Robert Ghiz says he has no intention of implementing the HST unless the federal government is prepared to exempt a series of products that are already exempt of the PST in P.E.I. Those include electricity and home heating fuel.

"We're not bringing in any HST that's detrimental to Islanders," Ghiz told The Guardian.
But Ghiz denied talks are ongoing to implement the HST.

"I'm not sure where this comes from but I have been involved in no secret negotiations whatsoever with regards to the HST."

Ghiz said if the federal government did exempt electricity and home heating fuel, he might consider the HST.

We have HST on electricity. Also on haircuts, propane/wood heating sources (oil only exemption) and other things. So he really lowered his standards for implementing it.

If he had actively campaigned on it - included it in their platform, I'd agree. As a weaseley response to something asked about I think its a bit less than that.

I'd agree with kreskin that it could have been better implemented. They should have gone ahead with the study in the redistributive impact it would have. They should have found a better balance on coverage of energy sources and there should have been transitional payments for the first year or so in addition to the ongoing HST credits for lower income Islanders.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2015, 3:55 pm 
True Islander

At any rate it is a documented telling of a bold faced lie.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2015, 9:32 pm 
Almost an Islander

kreskin wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:

I'm sorry if that is the impression you got about what I said. I must have worded it incorrectly for you to misunderstand it so badly. My bad.

Clearly you did.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2015, 10:40 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Blake McKinley wrote:
kreskin wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:

Clearly you did.

Oh, I'm sure to you, I certainly did.

The observation I was making is simply that since all politicians at all levels in all democratic governments have to break a promise at some time or other (keeping in mind that sometimes the promise wasn't a lie in the first place, that sometimes they are forced to break the promise by changing circumstances), it is important for voters to consider the balance of the broken promises against the honoured promises (i.e. did the broken promises do more harm than the promises kept did good?).

I thought it was a very reasoned and realistic observation that someone who doesn't vote according to the colour of the candidate's tie would easily understand. I figured it would be the natural action of an objective voter to consider the "balance" rather than only narrowly measure one side (aka having a partisan view).

Hopefully, the above reworded expression of my opinion is easier to understand :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2015, 1:59 pm 
Almost an Islander

Gardiner is 100% right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2015, 3:43 pm 
Tourist

I hope every eligible voter gets out and votes. If you're tired of the same old switching back and forth from red to blue and blue to red, vote for someone else. There are two other candidates in almost every riding, give your support to one of them. The only wasted vote is the vote not cast.

There's a full moon tomorrow - anything could happen. :lol:

Profile E-mail