Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Paul MacNeill was a recipient of PNP
PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 8:16 am 

I heard this fellow talking on the radio a couple of days ago, and he has some very strong opinions on everything. So I later searched him up and found out he was a beneficiary of PNP. This just strikes me as odd, he's constantly complaining about federal and provincial workers, but its alright for him to get a piece of the pie?

BTW I'm not liberal, PC, NDP or green.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Paul MacNeill was a recipient of PNP
PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 9:45 am 
Almost an Islander

What did he receive the money for?

PNP is and was a legitimate program that got abused by some.
Doesn't mean the program was wrong or that everyone who received money from it should not have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 10:02 am 

Not sure what he got money for. A lot of people think PNP was wrong no matter if they got money legitimately or illegitimately.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 10:05 am 
Almost an Islander

But why do they think that?
Are they basing that opinion on the merits of the program or because of the bad PR it gets around the abuses of the program?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 10:08 am 

Billy wrote:
I heard this fellow talking on the radio a couple of days ago, and he has some very strong opinions on everything. So I later searched him up and found out he was a beneficiary of PNP. This just strikes me as odd, he's constantly complaining about federal and provincial workers, but its alright for him to get a piece of the pie?

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you should listen to the radio more often. He has been a contributor to news panels for years and has freely acknowledged time & again whenever a PNP discussion came up that he received funds.

Old story and not a very good one.

PS
Quote:

Whatever you say.......

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 10:29 am 

alandla wrote:
Billy wrote:

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you should listen to the radio more often. He has been a contributor to news panels for years and has freely acknowledged time & again whenever a PNP discussion came up that he received funds.

PS
Quote:

Whatever you say.......

I posted on this board for over 10 yrs and I believe (?) this is my first post in the politics section. So yes..... I'm not affiliated with any group.

I don't care whether someone admits they did something, it doesn't make it right in my books.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 10:39 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Billy wrote:

I posted on this board for over 10 yrs and I believe (?) this is my first post in the politics section.

Ummm.....nope. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 11:38 am 

Armetis wrote:
Billy wrote:

I posted on this board for over 10 yrs and I believe (?) this is my first post in the politics section.

Ummm.....nope. :wink:

Ummm .....I guess that's why I said I believe :wink:

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 12:00 pm 

Billy wrote:
alandla wrote:
Billy wrote:

Thoughts?

PS
Quote:

Whatever you say.......

I posted on this board for over 10 yrs and I believe (?) this is my first post in the politics section. So yes..... I'm not affiliated with any group.

I don't care whether someone admits they did something, it doesn't make it right in my books.

I hear ya and know where you're coming from. The PNP program was such benefit to PEI and yet it was a such widely abused program by so many from all political colors. Which is why so many would rather it just go away. There are a lot of high end names(like Paul MacNeill & Sean Casey) associated to taking advantage of some Government loop-holes to benefit from the PNP program.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 1:51 pm 

Gardiner wrote:
Billy wrote:
alandla wrote:
Billy wrote:

Thoughts?

PS
Quote:

Whatever you say.......

I hear ya and know where you're coming from. The PNP program was such benefit to PEI and yet it was a such widely abused program by so many from all political colors. Which is why so many would rather it just go away. There are a lot of high end names(like Paul MacNeill & Sean Casey) associated to taking advantage of some Government loop-holes to benefit from the PNP program.

How do you associate high end names like Paul MacNeill & Sean Casey? I don't believe Mr MacNeill has shown any particular political party affiliation. Is it just because they are "famous" by PEI standards?

And you started your response by saying PNP was a benefit to PEI but then accuse Mr MacNeill of taking advantage of gov't loopholes to access it. How do you know he hasn't used it for the reasons for which it was intended?

This whole thread just feels more like an excuse to start an argument or badmouth people in the public eye than to really discuss anything legitimate.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 2:28 pm 

alandla wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
Billy wrote:
alandla wrote:
Billy wrote:

Thoughts?

PS
Quote:

Whatever you say.......

How do you associate high end names like Paul MacNeill & Sean Casey? I don't believe Mr MacNeill has shown any particular political party affiliation. Is it just because they are "famous" by PEI standards?

And you started your response by saying PNP was a benefit to PEI but then accuse Mr MacNeill of taking advantage of gov't loopholes to access it. How do you know he hasn't used it for the reasons for which it was intended?

This whole thread just feels more like an excuse to start an argument or badmouth people in the public eye than to really discuss anything legitimate.

You appear to answer some of your own questions and I haven't accused anyone of anything and if you feel that way about the thread then perhaps you shouldn't participate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 10:23 pm 

Blake McKinley wrote:
What did he receive the money for?

PNP is and was a legitimate program that got abused by some.
Doesn't mean the program was wrong or that everyone who received money from it should not have.

I agree. I am not sure people understand what it is so they automatically think it is a bad thing. It was abused by some (both blue and red), but many Island businesses such as Paul's received it. I see nothing wrong with eligible businesses (like the Graphic) that received this foreign investment. It helped weather us through a recession, as did federal infrastructure money that kept people in construction and such working.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 24th, 2015, 10:28 pm 

alandla wrote:
Billy wrote:

Thoughts?

PS
Quote:

Whatever you say.......

Paul is the only one worth listening to on the radio political panel- it was good with Paul, Ross and Nancy- gone down hill since- I like the Compass one with Paul and Rick though

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 25th, 2015, 5:48 pm 
Almost an Islander

Ignoring all the 'scandal' related PNP stuff here is an example of why it was not good.

Say there are two directly competing businesses, and both would like to invest/upgrade $75k worth of equipment or whatever. Both apply for PNP. 1 business gets approved for PNP the other doesn't. So 1 business gets $75k free to do what they want, and the other business has to get a bank loan for $75k.
Also the business that received PNP does not have to disclose that they did. So business that got loan is wondering why their competition is more competitive than they are all of a sudden.

If PNP was brought back I think government should every month disclose which businesses were approved for PNP. At least this way the public and competitors would know about it. If you don't want it disclosed that you received PNP then don't apply.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2015, 6:54 pm 

balkoth wrote:
Ignoring all the 'scandal' related PNP stuff here is an example of why it was not good.

Say there are two directly competing businesses, and both would like to invest/upgrade $75k worth of equipment or whatever. Both apply for PNP. 1 business gets approved for PNP the other doesn't. So 1 business gets $75k free to do what they want, and the other business has to get a bank loan for $75k.
Also the business that received PNP does not have to disclose that they did. So business that got loan is wondering why their competition is more competitive than they are all of a sudden.

If PNP was brought back I think government should every month disclose which businesses were approved for PNP. At least this way the public and competitors would know about it. If you don't want it disclosed that you received PNP then don't apply.

Why would one business get it over another and isn't that the whole reason why there was so much scandal? The rules around who is qualified and how often they can apply. Some of the stories of insiders actually creating fictional business names to get their hands on more money while others who were not privy to this information were rejected. just sickens me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 25th, 2015, 7:03 pm 
Almost an Islander

balkoth wrote:

That IS the scandal and why people have the bad view of PNP.
PNP is not government money going to one business and giving them an advantage over other.
It was designed to match foreign investors in businesses that they would remain a partner in. It was never intended to be a slush fund for political cronies to fill their pockets and their friend's pockets. That is where the fraud comes in.

Profile E-mail