PEIinfo Logo
  Top Banner

Listings Coming Soon
 
Home
* FAQ
* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 11:20 am 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: July 30th, 2009, 2:43 pm
Posts: 280
Location: City and country
These last 7or 8 years are without a doubt, the most embarrassing period of history that those that call themselves islanders have ever had to endure.
I wonder how FWP Bolgers clone would teach this bit of history at UPEI in 50 years from now and what the recommended reading would be?
We barely deserve the right to be a province and administer ourselves - an unbelievable episode of organized corruption and an utter failure of governance.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 11:45 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: November 12th, 2004, 8:55 am
Posts: 2160
Location: Islander
pomssip wrote:
These last 7or 8 years are without a doubt, the most embarrassing period of history that those that call themselves islanders have ever had to endure.
I wonder how FWP Bolgers clone would teach this bit of history at UPEI in 50 years from now and what the recommended reading would be?
We barely deserve the right to be a province and administer ourselves - an unbelievable episode of organized corruption and an utter failure of governance.


And the same was said about the 7-8 years before that...

and the 7-8 before that....

and the 7-8 before that.....

The most embarrassing thing is that you make this kind of comment without anything to substantiate it, show that it is a more embarrassing period than any other in our history.

Kind of sounds like sour grapes more than anything else.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 6:46 pm 
Offline
New Member

Joined: September 6th, 2014, 6:41 pm
Posts: 18
Not sure what this post means- The same bureaucrats and backrooms will continue to run the government regardless of who comes to power.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: January 26th, 2015, 9:42 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: July 4th, 2009, 1:07 pm
Posts: 1315
It's always the same cycle. The Liberals are always done in by their god given right to run the province, eventually their arrogance reaches epic proportions. The Conservatives on the other hand can never get out of the back woods for long enough and eventually eat their young and die from the inside out.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: January 26th, 2015, 8:52 pm 
Offline
New Member

Joined: September 6th, 2014, 6:41 pm
Posts: 18
Yesitsme wrote:
It's always the same cycle. The Liberals are always done in by their god given right to run the province, eventually their arrogance reaches epic proportions. The Conservatives on the other hand can never get out of the back woods for long enough and eventually eat their young and die from the inside out.



That about sums it up.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: March 8th, 2015, 6:41 pm 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: July 30th, 2009, 2:43 pm
Posts: 280
Location: City and country
alandla wrote:
pomssip wrote:
These last 7or 8 years are without a doubt, the most embarrassing period of history that those that call themselves islanders have ever had to endure.
I wonder how FWP Bolgers clone would teach this bit of history at UPEI in 50 years from now and what the recommended reading would be?
We barely deserve the right to be a province and administer ourselves - an unbelievable episode of organized corruption and an utter failure of governance.


And the same was said about the 7-8 years before that...

and the 7-8 before that....

and the 7-8 before that.....

The most embarrassing thing is that you make this kind of comment without anything to substantiate it, show that it is a more embarrassing period than any other in our history.

Kind of sounds like sour grapes more than anything else.



Go ahead alandla, defend Neil Robinson - justify the whole crooked egaming chapter of this dirty Ghiz and friends saga. I hope you try - the drivel will be amusing.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: March 8th, 2015, 9:59 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: August 23rd, 2005, 11:52 am
Posts: 11991
Location: Summerside
pomssip wrote:
Go ahead alandla, defend Neil Robinson - justify the whole crooked egaming chapter of this dirty Ghiz and friends saga. I hope you try - the drivel will be amusing.

Robinson was appointed by the Pat Binns government.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: March 8th, 2015, 10:34 pm 
Offline
From Away

Joined: December 30th, 2014, 10:34 am
Posts: 52
Attempting to determine which of the Parties that alternate the governance of Islanders is the 'lesser of two evils' is an exercise in futility. There isn't a dimes worth of difference between them.

An 'old-timer' I knew (before I became one) used to describe them this way. "They're like twin calves" he said. "They take turns. While one sucks, the other bawls".

Ed


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: March 9th, 2015, 9:54 am 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: November 16th, 2014, 12:56 am
Posts: 286
craiger wrote:
pomssip wrote:
Go ahead alandla, defend Neil Robinson - justify the whole crooked egaming chapter of this dirty Ghiz and friends saga. I hope you try - the drivel will be amusing.

Robinson was appointed by the Pat Binns government.


A government that was equally incompetent.
Who appointed him is irrelevant. The conflict took place on Ghiz's watch.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: March 9th, 2015, 11:32 am 
Offline
From Away

Joined: December 30th, 2014, 10:34 am
Posts: 52
Blake McKinley wrote:

A government that was equally incompetent.............

Agreed.

Which leads to a couple of observations. We get the people in government that we nominate and elect.
Therefor, either -
* We, the people, are not very good judges of character and competence, or
* People of good character and competence are unwilling to stand for office. Is there something inherently repulsive about the institution of modern government that repels people of conscience? I'm beginning to think so.

Here's a question. Why don't those of us who know how it should be done run for office? :lol: :lol:

Ed


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: March 9th, 2015, 11:03 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: August 23rd, 2005, 11:52 am
Posts: 11991
Location: Summerside
Eddie wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:

A government that was equally incompetent.............

Agreed.

Which leads to a couple of observations. We get the people in government that we nominate and elect.
Therefor, either -
* We, the people, are not very good judges of character and competence, or
* People of good character and competence are unwilling to stand for office. Is there something inherently repulsive about the institution of modern government that repels people of conscience? I'm beginning to think so.

Here's a question. Why don't those of us who know how it should be done run for office? :lol: :lol:

Ed

I think the big issue is most people really don't care all that much about politics. They pay little attention to issues and cast their vote every four years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: March 10th, 2015, 1:55 pm 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: July 4th, 2006, 2:13 pm
Posts: 672
Eddie wrote:
Here's a question. Why don't those of us who know how it should be done run for office? :lol: :lol:

Ed


There are some ugly truths that would need to be said and people here are not ready to hear them so one cannot be honest and still get people to vote for him/her. In a moment someone enters political scene here he has to start avoiding the truth or just outright lying - so only liars and crooks get to be elected.

No politician could state any of the following and expect to get any votes.

We are "have not" province that fully relies on welfare from the rest of the Canada. Part of that welfare comes as direct transfers from federal government, part comes through EI and part through direct federal funding to various local organizations.

To move forward, we would need to:
- cut government administration to fraction of current levels and increase personal responsibility of the few that would remain employed as civil workers.
- get government out of doing ANY business or creating ANY jobs - that is not the job for the government
- stop any government support for failed and outdated industries - if industry is not sustainable in 10 years, give up on it.
- get rid of teacher union so that less than competent teachers can be fired and our kids might have a chance at decent education. I would say that ANY teacher who is not super comfortable with email use today should not have a job tomorrow.

That would be good start for honest conversation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: March 10th, 2015, 7:01 pm 
Offline
Site Admin (volunteer)
User avatar

Joined: November 1st, 2003, 7:55 am
Posts: 16903
Location: Brackley Beach PE / Lake Wales FL
sasha wrote:
We are "have not" province that fully relies on welfare from the rest of the Canada.


Actually only from Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia and Newfoundlnd & Labrador. At least that part that is transfer payments.

Quebec ($7.8 billion), Ontario ($3.2 billion), Manitoba ($1.8 billion), New Brunswick ($1.5 billion) and Nova Scotia ($1.5 billion) all get more "welfare" than PEI's paltry $0.3 billion.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: March 11th, 2015, 9:34 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: September 28th, 2007, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1049
The money for transfer payments is collected by the federal government from right across the country - everybody contributes, including Prince Edward Islanders, and all provinces get a fair bit of transfer income.We do get more back as a province than we contribute, true, but we also contribute.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: March 17th, 2015, 5:27 pm 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: June 3rd, 2007, 9:00 pm
Posts: 588
Location: Charlottetown
I'm curious and I'm hoping that Sentance or someone else will have the answer.

If we added up all the taxes from income taxes, gas taxes, HST and any other taxes and fees that we as Islanders send to Ottawa then we subtracted all the payments made to the Island from the federal government, would we actually see a net payment to Ottawa or a net return from Ottawa?

#-o #-o #-o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: March 17th, 2015, 5:28 pm 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: June 3rd, 2007, 9:00 pm
Posts: 588
Location: Charlottetown
I'm curious and I'm hoping that Sentance or someone else will have the answer.

If we added up all the taxes from income taxes, gas taxes, HST and any other taxes and fees that we as Islanders send to Ottawa then we subtracted all the payments made to the Island from the federal government, would we actually see a net payment to Ottawa or a net return from Ottawa?

#-o #-o #-o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: March 17th, 2015, 5:59 pm 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: November 16th, 2014, 12:56 am
Posts: 286
For 2014-2015 PEI was budgeted to receive $634 million, or $4340 per capita.

Close to $200 million a year goes to paying interest on our debt and amortization of capital assets.

Our total expenditures are $194,971,000,000.

If we were paying in even equal to what we are receiving that would leave $1.95 billion- $634 million - $196 million = $1.13 billion

Subtract $589 million for healthcare = $476 million.

Subtract $37 million for Dept. of Agriculture and Forestry = $439 million

Subtract $84 million for Dept. of Community Services = $355 million

Subtract $228 million for Dept. of Education = $67 million

Subtract $47 million for Pensions and Employee Benefits = $20 million

Subtract $106 million for Innovation and Advanced Learning = -$86 million

We would already be way in the hole before including Transportation, Tourism, Legislature and all of the smaller department line items.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz team mla's quit - the end must be close
PostPosted: March 18th, 2015, 9:32 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: September 28th, 2007, 12:45 pm
Posts: 1049
Reggie The Shark wrote:
I'm curious and I'm hoping that Sentance or someone else will have the answer.

If we added up all the taxes from income taxes, gas taxes, HST and any other taxes and fees that we as Islanders send to Ottawa then we subtracted all the payments made to the Island from the federal government, would we actually see a net payment to Ottawa or a net return from Ottawa?

#-o #-o #-o

Found some numbers for 2009, which should be relatively representative.
The feds collected about 740 million from PEI and sent about 557 million back to the government in transfers.
But that's only part of the story. They also spent a little under 1.2 billion on top of that in PEI, everything from spending at DVA and the tax centre to old age security payments. EI might be in there too - we used to run something like a 100 million a year net gain on that alone.
Same is true for most provinces. That year Ontario was close to a wash, with Alberta the only province where they collected substantially more than they spent (mostly oil royalties).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group