Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ghiz,Sheridan,LeClair et. al.
PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 9:56 pm 
True Islander

It is all about optics. If you got baggage that make you look bad you get rid of it.This is why these people had to go simply as that.

It seems the people let go are happy with their dismissal since there has seen no back lash from it. None have come forth to the media about being disgruntled.

Is Mr.MacMillian the last to go is the question ? From the people i have talked to ,there should be a few more let go in their opinion.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 7:15 am 
Almost an Islander

Just because they are not speaking up doesn't mean they are happy or unhappy with their dismissals.
We have no idea what MacLauchlan may have promised them if the liberals get re-elected.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 4:25 pm 
True Islander

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... e=559EA145

This might open a new can of worms.

I think The Globe&Mail reporters might be returning to the Island again or did they ever leave?

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 9:47 am 
True Islander

Blake McKinley wrote:
Just because they are not speaking up doesn't mean they are happy or unhappy with their dismissals.

That's the nature of the job and whether they are happy or not, I'm sure they understand that's how it goes. I don't think any would be dumb enough to openly complain about anything.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 10:08 am 
From Away

craiger wrote:
.........That's the nature of the job and whether they are happy or not, I'm sure they understand that's how it goes. I don't think any would be dumb enough to openly complain about anything.

:lol: Here's the thought regarding politics that immediately popped into my mind as I read your post. ---

When one criminal catches another criminal in a crime they don't call the cops. They settle it among themselves. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 2:33 pm 
Almost an Islander

craiger wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:

That's the nature of the job and whether they are happy or not, I'm sure they understand that's how it goes. I don't think any would be dumb enough to openly complain about anything.

If I was doing nothing wrong and I was fired you can be damn sure I would be openly complaining.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 3:33 pm 
True Islander

Blake McKinley wrote:
craiger wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:

If I was doing nothing wrong and I was fired you can be damn sure I would be openly complaining.

Maybe then this is why there is no complaints. :lol:

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 3:57 pm 
Almost an Islander

LostSole wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:
craiger wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:

Maybe then this is why there is no complaints. :lol:

If there are no complaints we can safely assume that either there was considerable incompetence or wrongdoing, or they were promised positions elsewhere.
Either way, MacLauchlan should show some leadership and explain the firings. Whether he likes it or not these people work at the pleasure of the tax payer, not the premier.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 4:45 pm 

The CEO of the Liquor Commission has the status of a deputy minister. Deputy ministers serve at the pleasure of the government and are appointed by the Premier. There doesn't need to be any cause to fire them or move them around. Whatever his performance as CEO may have been, I imagine Wade saw MacMillan (fairly obviously) as a political liability and has terminated him for that reason, as is his privilege. MacMillan would have known from the start that this could come any time. I'm not at all surprised he hasn't complained, and I sincerely doubt Wade has promised him anything. Maybe Ghiz will try to hook him up with something.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 9:47 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

sentance wrote:
The CEO of the Liquor Commission has the status of a deputy minister. Deputy ministers serve at the pleasure of the government and are appointed by the Premier. There doesn't need to be any cause to fire them or move them around. Whatever his performance as CEO may have been, I imagine Wade saw MacMillan (fairly obviously) as a political liability and has terminated him for that reason, as is his privilege. MacMillan would have known from the start that this could come any time. I'm not at all surprised he hasn't complained, and I sincerely doubt Wade has promised him anything. Maybe Ghiz will try to hook him up with something.

Thanks for the clear and concise explanation, Dr. Sentance. Much better than I could have done.

I'm rather surprised at the lack of understanding of "at pleasure" appointments by some. Perhaps they only have a relatively new interest in the political scene and their knowledge is still developing :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 10:22 pm 
True Islander

sentance wrote:

Exactly.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 10:27 pm 
Almost an Islander

kreskin wrote:
Thanks for the clear and concise explanation, Dr. Sentance. Much better than I could have done.

I'm rather surprised at the lack of understanding of "at pleasure" appointments by some. Perhaps they only have a relatively new interest in the political scene and their knowledge is still developing :)

It has nothing to do with a lack of understanding. It has to do with calling out politicians for their hypocrisy which too few partisans seem willing to do.
It is hypocritical to claim you are going to be an open and accountable government while at the same time removing people without any explanation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 4th, 2015, 7:46 am 

kreskin wrote:
sentance wrote:

I don't think it's a lack of understanding, but rather a distaste of the process
and how it is misused for political gain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 4th, 2015, 11:00 am 
True Islander

Blake McKinley wrote:
kreskin wrote:

It has nothing to do with a lack of understanding. It has to do with calling out politicians for their hypocrisy which too few partisans seem willing to do.
It is hypocritical to claim you are going to be an open and accountable government while at the same time removing people without any explanation.

I do agree.

But one can understand honest does not make a politician popular.
Could you imagine what would be said if Wade stated this about Wes-I had to let him go because he was not able to do his job,he said he could balance the books for 7 years and never came close to it so he had to be replaced. :lol:

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 11:07 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Gardiner wrote:
I don't think it's a lack of understanding, but rather a distaste of the process and how it is misused for political gain.

So should we have the process removed from our constitution? Do you think that the federal government and enough provinces would agree to make the change?

Since everyone claims to understand the process, what would be a good alternative to a practice that has been around for at least a couple of centuries in many democracies around the world?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 11:41 am 

kreskin wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
I don't think it's a lack of understanding, but rather a distaste of the process and how it is misused for political gain.

So should we have the process removed from our constitution? Do you think that the federal government and enough provinces would agree to make the change?

Since everyone claims to understand the process, what would be a good alternative to a practice that has been around for at least a couple of centuries in many democracies around the world?

I think that any political process that promotes or supports blatant patronage should be abolished.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 12:02 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Gardiner wrote:
kreskin wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

I think that any political process that promotes or supports blatant patronage should be abolished.

I think we can all agree on that.

The question is ... how?

And what is an acceptable, yet practical, alternative?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 1:04 pm 

kreskin wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
kreskin wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

I think we can all agree on that.

The question is ... how?

And what is an acceptable, yet practical, alternative?

No more appointments period!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 1:27 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Gardiner wrote:

So no more governor-general, lieutenant-governors, cabinet ministers, deputy ministers, advisors, executive assistants, etc?

Again, since the process is dictated by the constitution, we would a) need to amend the constitution, and b) find an better alternative to a process that has been used for generations in democracies around the globe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 3:13 pm 

kreskin wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

So no more governor-general, lieutenant-governors, cabinet ministers, deputy ministers, advisors, executive assistants, etc?

Again, since the process is dictated by the constitution, we would a) need to amend the constitution, and b) find an better alternative to a process that has been used for generations in democracies around the globe.

Well we have to start somewhere and like the Senate, all it takes is one party, in power , to initiate a change.

Quote:
Stephen Harper once called the Senate a “relic of the 19th century"But he’s stacked the Senate with 58 partisan appointments since becoming Prime Minister. It’s time to abolish the Senate.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next