* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Free Speech
PostPosted: January 14th, 2015, 9:20 pm 
From Away

What hypocrisy!

Following what was certainly a horrible crime in France last week we've been deluged with pious pronouncements about the extent of the 'freedom of speech' that we have in France and other Western nations, including Canada.

Bullcrap. Most of these countries, including Canada, have 'hate' legislation and citizens have been arrested and charged with violating them.
Here's the most recent.

Ed

Agence France-Presse in Paris
The Guardian, Wednesday 14 January 2015 09.43 GMT

Notorious French comedian Dieudonné M’bala M’bala has been arrested for being an “apologist for terrorism” after suggesting on Facebook that he sympathised with one of the Paris gunmen, a judicial source has said.

Prosecutors had opened the case against him on Monday after he wrote “Tonight, as far as I’m concerned, I feel like Charlie Coulibaly” – mixing the slogan “Je suis Charlie”, used in tribute to the journalists killed at magazine Charlie Hebdo, with a reference to gunman Amédy Coulibaly. Dieudonné was arrested on Wednesday.

Coulibaly killed four people at a Jewish supermarket on Friday and a police officer the day before.

The comedian made international headlines in 2013 when French footballer Nicolas Anelka was banned for five matches by English football authorities for using a gesture created by Dieudonné that many consider to echo the Nazi salute.

Dieudonné posted his controversial Facebook post after attending Sunday’s unity march against extremism that brought more than 1.5 million people on to the streets of Paris in the wake of the attacks.

He described the march – considered the biggest rally in modern French history – as “a magical moment comparable to the big bang”.

The French government has in the past banned Dieudonné’s shows because it considers them “antisemitic”.

Dieudonné has removed the remark from his Facebook page.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Free Speech
PostPosted: January 16th, 2015, 9:41 am 
Almost an Islander

ironically, as one reporter said on TV "without freedom of speech there would be no religion".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 16th, 2015, 10:39 am 
From Away

townie2 wrote:
ironically, as one reporter said on TV "without freedom of speech there would be no religion".

Literal 'freedom' of speech should be a non-issue for 'civilized' people, who generally aren't looking for opportunities to offend others.

If your neighbor has an ugly wife you wouldn't be yelling across the yard "your wife is ugly" every chance you had. :D

The French magazine 'Charlie Hebdo' was abusing the principle of free speech for profit, and I, for one, wouldn't support it by buying or viewing it's product.

Let's hope that this unfortunate crime will help educate people re the correct understanding of 'free speech'.

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 16th, 2015, 10:44 pm 

Eddie wrote:
townie2 wrote:

Literal 'freedom' of speech should be a non-issue for 'civilized' people, who generally aren't looking for opportunities to offend others.

If your neighbor has an ugly wife you wouldn't be yelling across the yard "your wife is ugly" every chance you had. :D

The French magazine 'Charlie Hebdo' was abusing the principle of free speech for profit, and I, for one, wouldn't support it by buying or viewing it's product.

Let's hope that this unfortunate crime will help educate people re the correct understanding of 'free speech'.

Ed

What you describe with "ugly wife" is harassment and not free speech. As for Abrahamic religions, they all are ridiculous, and if they do not want to be ridiculed they should keep them contained to private property. Once you make your religion, customs, believes, tastes.... public thing - it is fair game. If you find yourself offended with TV commercial or newspaper cover, just do not look at them.

As for the freedom of speech, it stops when that speech promotes violence - everything else goes.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2015, 11:30 am 
True Islander

sasha wrote:
Eddie wrote:
townie2 wrote:

Ed

What you describe with "ugly wife" is harassment and not free speech. As for Abrahamic religions, they all are ridiculous, and if they do not want to be ridiculed they should keep them contained to private property. Once you make your religion, customs, believes, tastes.... public thing - it is fair game. If you find yourself offended with TV commercial or newspaper cover, just do not look at them.

As for the freedom of speech, it stops when that speech promotes violence - everything else goes.

Freedom of speech should be -one able to speak the truth without fearing repercussion.
It sounds simple enough but with political correctness this is difficult.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2015, 5:02 pm 
Almost an Islander

Or even whatever they perceive as truth.

- Jesus of Nazareth, Matt. 26:52

Profile E-mail